“Social History”

Newbiggin Maritime Centre
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Having stayed in this little seaside town for a very enjoyable week, we visited the centre to learn something of its history. With some great audio-visual presentations, we were not disappointed. The documentary film from the 1940's was very interesting and shows that the place hasn't changed a great deal (though fishing and mining have obviously declined). The old Life Boat (Mary Joicey) has an heroic past and the AV presentation (imagery and poetry in perfect combination) brought a lump to my throat. Well worth the £2.50 entry fee.

We called in for a drink on a separate occasion and sat outside watching the world go slowly by. We found the staff very pleasant.

7  Thank PMLaycock
NewbigginMC, Manager at Newbiggin Maritime Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to make such kind and positive comments. The AV presentation in the Mary Joicey Hall has raised many a tear since we opened. It was commissioned especially for the Centre and we feel it hits just the right note.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"great place to visit"
"car park"

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Visited the cafe within this place as we had good memories from last year where we had a cream tea and hoped to have the same but.. not sure if cafe is under new management but we were very disappointed all had changed staff seemed suprised when we asked abut the wonderful tea we had the year before "do you still serve it?" and mumbled answer of not knowing what we were talking about. So we ordered bacon sandwiches and scone. Scones were okay just but bacon sandwiches were vile, limp thin cheap white bread just say on the right side of not stale and underdone fatty bacon with bright yellow cheap marg. View was lovely as always. But all in all horrible and wont return shame as it was a good place gone bad.

11  Thank Daywinter
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I was so disappointed to return to Newbiggin and find you can hardly see the church on the point for the new heritage centre. Still, I had to go inside and see what justified placing the building here and I was equally disappointed by what I found. As a resident of a nearby town in the North East, with family connections in Newbiggin, I couldn't see much that represented the true story of Newbiggin which is actually fascinating. Last time I visited, I bumped into the family of some of the fisherfolk and they can tell the true story and would happily do so for free.

Then I went for a coffee and enjoyed the view out over the bay but I really missed the original view from the prom and, if this is the best they can do, I don't think it's worth a visit. when you could bring a flask of coffee and save a lot of money especially if you're travelling with children. I have to say, ours were severely bored with this "day out."

7  Thank Sheila_GM

We are really sorry you had a disappointing experience. Our menu does change over time but we hope you will be pleased to learn we are now serving our bacon butties on a locally baked stottie and have also recently introduced locally sourced crab sandwiches on a choice of bread or stottie.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Plenty of free parking spaces. The museum was informative and interesting. The information boards are aimed at all ages and the museum can be enjoyed by all ages. I found the film about the life in and around the area very moving and give me an insight into the lives of not just the fishermen but there wives and families. There is an area where you can purchase gifts. We had our lunch in the cafe which has stunning views over the coastline, our meals were lovely and affordable. The staff are friendly and informative and we enjoyed our visit.

After lunch we had a walk along the beach, which was enjoyed by all.

5  Thank rightatthebottom

Thank you, we are really pleased you enjoyed your visit and have taken the time to make such helpful comments.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We visited the Newbiggin Maritime Centre, myself and 2 children 10 and 13, recently and have to say I was very plesantly surprised. The Lunch in the cafe was great value and delicious with wonderful views. At last my kids might just have got an interest for local history.
Its on our list of places to come back to in the summer holidays for a day on the lovely beach and lunch in the centre. Free parking is obviously at great bonus as there are not many free things in this date and age. Well worth a visit

7  Thank hnke

Thank you, we're especially pleased your children have been inspired to take an interest in local history and hope we can welcome you and your family back again soon.