“Still a jewel in Swansea's crown”

Beach House Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Oxwich
Price range: US$33 - US$70
Description: Set on the edge of the soft golden sands of Oxwich Bay, the Beach House has had leading interior designer Martin Hulbert work his magic, using a coastal palette and driftwood benches. Head Chef Hywel Griffith is passionate about working in his native country, so expect a menu bursting with champion ingredients from the very best Glamorgan producers and the freshest seafood and shellfish. Weather depending, the outdoor terrace can hold 30 diners to inside's 60, offering beach-goers a chance to sample Hywel's menu without the worry of dusting off their sandy feet.
Reviewed 11 June 2021

We were very excited to visit the Beach House again after it reopened post lockdown. We have dined here about 18 months ago and had the 5 course tasting menu which was excellent. This time we went for the 8 course tasting menu. It didn't disappoint.

We were given a lovely table for 4 next to a window. It was high tide and it was lovely to look out over Oxwich Bay. Tables in the restaurant have always been well spaced out and with additional Perspex screens social distancing and covid safety was no issue at all.

All 8 courses on the tasting menu were delicious and different. It's great to see the chef is still honouring local produce where possible and the Oxwich Bay lobster was especially good. It was funny to think that we were looking out over the same bay in which the lobster was caught. The roe deer was the most tender I have ever tasted - perfectly cooked. Clearly a great deal of attention has gone into the preparation and delivery of this menu.

If I was going to be very picky I would say that time time between courses was a little long at times but some customers might prefer this. Also the sommelier was a little over-zealous in topping up our wine, which can come across as them just wanting to sell you another bottle. But again, maybe some people always like a constant amount of wine in their glass at any time. However, the staff were working hard and were friendly and welcoming.

I sincerely hope Swansea will continue to support a top restaurant like this - in my opinion, the prices are fair for the quality of food and experience.

Date of visit: June 2021
Write a reviewReviews (629)

Reviewed 11 June 2021 via mobile

Having booked 3 months in advance and after a 3.5 hour drive to get there, we had high expectations.

We arrived early and went for a good walk on the beach, despite the extremely low cloud.

You do have to pay to park in the car park, but that is not the fault of the restaurant and anyway it is a very small price to pay for the privilege of eating there.

The views from the restaurant are amazing and we were lucky enough to sit immediately opposite the pass and were able to look in on the wonderful chef preparing course with a minimum of fuss, they looked like a well oiled machine

We had the 8 course tasting menu and yes each portion is small but wonderfully tasty, and at the end we felt well fed, but not overly fed. Personally I think the portion sizes were spot on and good value.

The young staff, were attentive, helpful and clearly were enjoying themselves.

We had hoped to go to the Beach House last year, but lockdown got in the way. It was worth waiting for.

Reviewed 2 June 2021

This was my third visit to the Beach House and it never fails to deliver.

The service and the food are exemplary. Whilst it's not cheap I think it is very good value compared to other Michelin starred restaurants I have visited and it is not as pretentious as many of them.

At this level of dining it becomes a fusion of food and art (OK, I'm sounding pretentious now). I really enjoyed the 8 course tasting menu which puts you in the hands of the chef which in the case of Hywel Griffith is a very safe pair of hands.

Reviewed 30 May 2021

The meal started well with a nice canapé. Went downhill from then on. The five course tasting menu left me feeling very disappointed, hungry and short-changed. I'm not a large person with a big appetite, but even with eating most of the bread, I was far from full. I've been to many fine dining restaurants and have never paid so much for so little. The portions were tiny, ingredients were modest. Most courses lacked flavour, complexity and creativity. The mackerel was about the size of a finger. One small tortellini which wasn't light and soft. The asparagus course consisted of two small pieces of asparagus with a paste that tasted mostly of horseradish. The main piece of beef was tough. My favourite dish was the dessert which did have a mixture of great flavours and textures. There were glimpses of brilliance here and there, but overall very disappointing.

3  Thank Bert-Camem
Reviewed 23 May 2021

“It’s not you, it’s me” is a well worn line, sometimes actually meaning “It’s not me, it’s you”: but probably not in this case. But whatever the truth, my love affair with this type of Michelin Star tasting menu is definitely over. I knew that before I got to the Beach House, but I felt I had to try one last time. I used to love this style of eating, and now I just don’t.

Location wise, it’s beautiful, and it would be tough to find a better view. I also really liked the layout of the restaurant, and the fact that we could pretty much see into the kitchen from our table. A double edged sword for the chefs, who might feel more in tune with their clientele, and a bit less cut off than in a closed kitchen, but on the downside they have to see the likes of me gurning back at them on the odd occasion they have time to survey the goings on of ‘the other side’!

The restaurant staff were a competent enough crew, friendly and efficient. I’m sure they are glad to be back after such a miserable year plus. Everywhere I have visited since the indoor dining ban finished has had an air of the ‘still slightly shell shocked’ about it, but they appear to have hit the ground running just fine here.

So to the food. Pains me a bit to say it, but I was a little underwhelmed. Even for an 8 course taster, I think the portions are 20% undersized, but the main disappointment was more for the overall lack of punchy flavours. I won’t discuss specific courses, but it was mostly all a bit “Meh” rather than “Wow”, and I felt it all erred too much on the safe side.

There has been much written recently suggesting that fine dining like this is over as a style. I don’t think it is, because the full reservations list confirms that there are still plenty who are happy to spend substantial money for this type of experience. It’s just over for me.

9  Thank Jed M