“Shame about the clientele ”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Prince of Wales
Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

I wasn't sure what rating to give this pub. Based on the pub alone it would be great. However, a group of regulars totally ruined it for us.

My partner is reasonably local and recalled a produce stall nearby, so upon arrival went off to see if was still there. I went into the garden to find a table. At the time I didn't realise it, but a 'lady' asked me if he was looking for the tomato factory. Where I didn't realise she was speaking to me I didn't respond and was subjected to snide, abusive and derogatory remarks by the 3 regulars. This, as I am sure you can appreciate, made us feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome.

We were a bit late for food but the staff kindly knocked us up a sandwich and some chips. Whilst the quality wasn't amazing, this wasn't the chef cooking and they didn't have to do it, so it was very much appreciated. Beers are brewed onsite and were excellent, as were prices.

We stayed for a few hours. The same group of locals were there throughout, continuing with nasty comments about others. They then moved on to offensive, racial comments including about how foreigners should "f- off back to where they came from' After nearly 45 mins of this we left. As we were leaving, the ringleader was clearing away glasses in the garden so from that I am presuming she was staff which is why the rating is so low for the pub overall. It is a shame, as it is a nice location, great prices, and good quality drinks. I don't think we would return even though the pictures and menus on their fb page look great, purely based on the behaviour of this group.

5  Thank Emma C
Reviewed 2 March 2015

Short trip to sample the amazing beer they brew at the Prince of Wales, one of the last real pubs in the country..!!

4  Thank Happy_Drinker_100