“Very disappointed”

Coffee Kavern Ltd
Get food delivered
Ranked #14 of 46 Restaurants in Halstead
Price range: US$1 - US$8
Description: A modern look and feel coffee shop. Great coffee, smoothies and an extensive selection of breakfast and lunch options served all day. All our food and drinks are available to eat in or take away. We have spacious and comfortable surroundings. Free high speed WiFi.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were only served once I'd gone to the counter to make it known we were there. It wasn't busy and counted 4 staff in the kitchen and 1 waitress. We were served fairly quickly, but our food didn't come out together. The eggs were cold and overcooked. Our Sourdough toast looked like a slice of baguette
We were not asked if we wanted any sauces or drinks. Heavily overpriced, our very average 2 breakfasts were £25!
I felt we got the better end of the deal though as people arriving after us were completely ignored.
We have been here a few times and used to really like it but it is getting worse with each visit. I'm not sure we will go back

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (53)

Reviewed 5 August 2021

Honestly one of the nicest places in Halstead to go for a meal staff are lovely and friendly 100/10 please come and visit

Date of visit: August 2021
Reviewed 8 July 2021 via mobile

Absolutely fantastic!! Had a little lunch break yesterday. Little wait on food and drinks but absolutely worth the wait!

Much better than a trip to Costa by far! Thankyou very much!

1  Thank x_lisa_xo
Reviewed 17 June 2021

We came in for lunch today and left pretty disappointed.
There was 4 of us in total and the cafe didn’t seem to be too busy when we arrived. After a fairly long wait We had to pull a waitress aside to order our food and drinks. Usually in most places you receive your drinks before your food after ordering pretty simple drinks we didn’t think we’d be waiting as long as we was for them. Our food arrived still without receiving our drinks with missing items rather than everyone’s food coming out together like you’d expect there was a bit of a wait for us all to receive our food. Half way through our meal we finally received our drinks. Working in a very busy cafe myself I’m definitely one to understand these things can happen but like I stated before it didn’t seem very busy just incredibly un-organised. The food itself was a little disappointing. Me and a friend on the table ordered eggs royal and both dishes the eggs were completely over done which made the experience less enjoyable. We had to remind the waitresses about the additional items we’d ordered on our food which we had put in as extras again we had to wait a while for those to come out separately. There didn’t seem to be much care given towards the customers. It was very stressful and not a very enjoyable experience which makes me question if we will return again or not in the future. Especially when there’s many other great cafes in halstead which are allot more accommodating to their customers needs and put in that little bit more effort. I don’t usually leave these kind of reviews like I said I work in a very busy cafe myself so I’m usually very understanding but in this circumstance I couldn’t let it slide. It isn’t the first time we’ve had an unwelcoming experience here and for that I’ve felt the need to write this review. Maybe I could just advise better organisations and a bit more care given towards your customers.

Date of visit: June 2021
Kevin G, Owner at Coffee Kavern Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2021

Hi Lu
I am very dissapointed that you had a bad experience in my shop today. As uou can see we have very good reviews in the past and thankfully this is the normal for us.
By no means is this an excuse for todays service, but we had a couple of main staff members out today and I also had to leave the shop today for a family reason. This then left 2 new members of staff in the shop. These girls are still in training and from what you are telling me I need to re address their training.
I'm not happy but its good that you've taken the time to message me.
Please can you call the shop to speak with myself (Kevin) and I will arrange a refund for you. I would also like you to give us another chance and again this will be a free meal for the 4 of you.
It saddens me to get a review like this As I've worked hard over the past 4 years to give a good experience to my customers.
I hope you come back.

Reviewed 15 June 2021

I used Coffee Kavern quite a lot for takeaways during Covid. It has always felt safe and still friendly. I love this coffee shop most for its unusual inclusion of Peanut Butter syrup ! and good coffee and value. I have also had the vegan breakfast a couple of times - very hearty and tasty and if you are looking for something small, they do things like crumpets for a very reasonable price. My boyfriend has had their English breakfast a few times and loves it, the portion sizes are generous. The staff are smiley and attentive. I enjoy sitting both in and outside at this restaurant and really valued their service during this pandemic. Thank you Coffee Kavern