“Amazing coastline”
Review of Tutukaka Headland

Tutukaka Headland
Reviewed 24 May 2017

Tutukaka is a beautiful area - and Whale beach is idyllic - a 15minute walk down a narrow path from the carpark, with magnificient views across the bay on the way. In Tutukaka is a parade of shops and I purchased [from the artist in his art shop] a sketch of Whale Bay as a memento of my visit to NZ. Matapouri & Sandy bays are also part of this district.

1  Thank annie2mac

Reviewed 17 April 2017

During a two week stay locally, back in February 2016, we visited both here and the marina on a couple of occasions. We spent many hours at different nearby bays and beach catching the sun. A truly wonderful area and coastline.

Reviewed 28 March 2017

We were on a drive out from Whangarei on a rainy day so didn't venture further than the marina area. There's a plinth with propeller from a ship sunk as a reef dive which according to a local had an interesting history as a spy ship. Handily, there's a general store with fuel pumps on the main road - the price of fuel might be expensive but if you're running on empty like we were then you can't complain!

Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

Peaceful, clear water, nice colours amazing view. Unfortunately the tide was high so i wasn't able to cross the sea but it was still really enjoyable.
I wish I could have swim though but its winter and I wasn't so courageous.

Reviewed 8 June 2016

While here I tried to find a walk to do. I came across one that takes you out to the lighthouse, which is on an island. I made it across to the island but didn't carry on to the lighthouse as I did not want to get stranded (it looked like the beach at the bottom between the headland and the island would get covered at high tide). So while a short walk it was still quite stunning and there is some great scenery around here.