“Sightseeing Poor Knights Island”
Review of Yukon Dive

Yukon Dive
Ranked #3 of 12 things to do in Tutukaka
More attraction details
Owner description: Yukon Dive is proudly 100% Kiwi owned and operated by husband and wife team Noel and Jo. We are experienced qualified dive Instructors who are extremely passionate about our environment and it's future and we pride ourselves in offering a professional, friendly and personal service. Our mission is to share our passion for the underwater world of the Poor Knights, with a focus on friendship, a spirit of adventure and a commitment to safety, the environment and our community. Enjoy the ultimate Poor Knights experience with a small group. Teeming with life, the unique marine environment of of the Poor Knights Marine Reserve provides exceptional scenery above and below the water. Whether you are an experienced diver or just beginning, snorkeling or sightseeing, we will both do our best to make sure that your experience at the Poor Knights is one to remember and tell all your friends about!
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Sightseeing Poor Knights Island”
Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

What a day we had 6 of us on a Tiki tour cruise to the Poor Knights Islands just off the Tutukaka coast with Yukon Dive
We set off at 9am, lucky us, no additional passengers only our Skipper Noel & his 1st mate Marie.
For the entire trip Noel provided us with interesting facts & tall tales about the Islands & their history
Marie also had interesting stories to tell of her Dive experiences & plied us with tea & coffee on the way.
Along the way we visited the Gannett colonies of Sugarloaf & The Pinnacles, amazing chunks of volcanic rock jutting 100 meters above the sea floor.
Then on to the Poor Knights Islands where we cruised into every cove & through several arches which were just amazing.
We had lunch, which we had packed ourselves, very tasty washed down with a glass of bubbles for the girls & a cold beer for the guys, moored in a calm stretch of water amongst the Islands, sheltered from the prevailing breezes.
Then further exploring of the islands & finally the piece de resistance of the day when we cruised into the Rikoriko cave the largest sea cave in the world, the colours of the walls & ceiling are amazing and the plant life incredible.
As our day drew to a close Noel suggested we cruise home via Matapouri beach & back to Tutukaka along the coastline
I had always wanted to see Whale Bay near Matapouri from the sea so Noel suggested we cruise there. No sooner had we made our way into the bay than we were surrounded by a pod of dolphins who proceeded to jump & play around the boat, close to the the rocks & shoreline, much to our delight & also of the bathers on the beach.
This was the absolute icing on the cake for what had been an already amazing day.
Thanks to Noel & Marie for making our day such a special one, Yukon dive proved to be a very professional operation, the boat very comfortable, Skipper & crew very considerate of our needs & concious of providing a safe environment for our trip whilst also mindful of the sensitivity of our location.
I have no hesitation in recommending Yukon Dive to others especially keen divers as this is their core business, however our sight seeing trip was a day we will never forget.

1 Thank Judy H

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yukon Dive is the best dive operation at Poor Knights and beyond !!!!”
Reviewed 6 March 2017

There is not enough GREEN dots to rate this attraction !!! If you are in to diving or just snorkeling or just sightseeing,this is a perfect day out .The crew of both Yukon Dive boats are the best bunch of people you want to be out at Poor Knights islands with they will keep you safe and happy. Highly commended Ziggy

Visited January 2017
1 Thank Dimitrij Z
Tampere, Finland
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Refresher dive”
Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

I did a "refresher dive" and absolutely loved it. I hadn't dived in five years and only few times even then so I was quite nervous at first. But these guys make you feel so comfortable and safe about it.

It was Monday so I was the only one attending this refreshing dive. So on the way to the Poor Knights Island they go through the basic stuff and the skills that you're gonna practise on your first dive. I was lucky to get this brilliant guy named Derek all to myself and he made sure all the time I felt good about myself in the water. Also they see if you are not totally comfortable and will help you with that.

My second dive we got to do with a lovely lady called Mary and there were two of us divers. Once again I felt being in good hands.

Haven't dived much so can't say much about the marinelife but for me it was absolutely beautiful. Stingrays, scorpion fish, "Nemos"... someone had seen a bronze shark too.

Between your dives you can have a hot cuppa tea or coffee (or soup) with your lunch and maybe enjoy the sun on the deck with some peanuts and lollies they provide you.:)

There is a toilet on the boat and fresh water shower. Even tho it had been five years since my last dive they are so good at what they're doing that it was actually easier for me to clear up my mask under the water than to flush the toilet on the boat (you will know after what I mean).

Also the skipper Glenn was very helpful with all the gear and knowledgeable about the places we visited.

During the day you feel like they really want you to enjoy your time and show you the reason why they are passionate about diving.

So highly recommend Yukon Dive!

London, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Fantastic scuba diving and great crew”
Reviewed 6 March 2017

I had a great day with Yukon Dive scuba diving at Poor Knights. From the booking with Jo through to the trip with Glen and Immy, the entire team was friendly, helpful and kind. As the only beginner on the trip they were really good at making me feel comfortable and prepared for the dive, which was much appreciated. We were lucky enough to dive at Tie Dye Arch which was amazing, seeing sharks and rays plus hundreds of fish! Between dives we were shown around the islands, including the sea cave, which was great. Soup, biscuits, sweets and hot drinks are provided, plus a very welcome hot shower onboard! This is a smaller operator, with circa 14 people maximum on the boat - in my opinion this is definitely the way to go vs. the big boats. Thank you for a great day Yukon - I can highly recommend!

Adelaide, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best way to see the Poor Knights Islands”
Reviewed 23 February 2017

With access to incredible dive sites, a fun and experienced crew and the ability to juggle a make the day special for people of every skill level, Yukon Dive was the best way to see the Poor Knights.

I dived while my partner snorkelled and we both had unforgettable experiences thanks to the team. We also felt that our time above water wasn't wasted, with the boat skipper taking us on a comprehensive tour of the islands and treating us to some really special experiences. Can't recommend them enough.

Visited February 2017