“Poor Knights revealed”
Review of Yukon Dive

Yukon Dive
Ranked #4 of 14 things to do in Tutukaka
More attraction details
Owner description: Yukon Dive is proudly 100% Kiwi owned and operated by husband and wife team Noel and Jo. We are experienced qualified dive Instructors who are extremely passionate about our environment and it's future and we pride ourselves in offering a professional, friendly and personal service. Our mission is to share our passion for the underwater world of the Poor Knights, with a focus on friendship, a spirit of adventure and a commitment to safety, the environment and our community. Enjoy the ultimate Poor Knights experience with a small group. Teeming with life, the unique marine environment of of the Poor Knights Marine Reserve provides exceptional scenery above and below the water. Whether you are an experienced diver or just beginning, snorkeling or sightseeing, we will both do our best to make sure that your experience at the Poor Knights is one to remember and tell all your friends about!
Reviewed 17 February 2017

I have dived the Knights a number of times, but this weeks trip with Yukon revealed them in a way I had not experienced before. The guide available made each dive special with her comprehensive knowledge of the sites, and the owner operator was totally committed to ensure everyone had a memorable experience suited to their level of ability and comfort on the day. I will certainly return.

Reviewed 9 February 2017 via mobile

We had a great experience with Yukon dive! The day started at the pier where we were decked out with all the gear we needed for our dive. All the gear was relatively new and well maintained, being thick enough to counter the quite cold water. We then met the skipper, other travellers and staff and were on our way to the poor knights! The ride there was 50 minutes in which time we were briefed on our dives and safety gear and provided with free cookies and coffee. The staff were all very helpful, knowledgeable about the islands and well experienced - one woman on our boat even had dives named after her on the poor knights!

I'm a relatively new diver and my partner is quite experienced so that is always a bit of an issue as we want to dive together but he will get longer dive times if he goes with more experienced divers. The staff were kind enough to let us do one dive together and one dive seperatly which worked out perfectly for us.

The first site was a really cool arch (pictured) which had an underwater air bubble and thriving reef with good marine life. I was helped into my gear as I had forgotten some of the basics of setting up and then we were in the water ready to go!

They dive experienced divers seperatly to begginers which was good particularly when my partner wanted to do a more explorative and longer seperate dive. On the first dive we were joined by three other girls all also pretty new to diving. It did feel very cramped under water and I think the dive leader might have been panicking at times but it was really fun once we all got settled and our boyancy sorted. He showed us all the best spots and was very helpful when I had problems with my weight belt at 12 Metres.

Once our dive was over we got back to the boat and were taken around the islands while we had free soup for lunch. We were taken to the big cave with great acoustics and then to other arches etc. all of which you can see from a small deck on the top of the boat. A couple of other girls commented on how good it was to do that on the boat as they paid for a seperate tour the day before that went to the same spots and they could have done it all in one hit.

We then arrived at the second dive spot which admittedly was similar to the first but still very beautiful. This dive was a bit easier as there was one less person in our group now that my boyfriend had joined the experienced divers.

On the way home we were lucky enough to see some dolphins doing flips in the bay before arriving back at the marina. All of our gear was looked after by the staff and we were good to go after getting the info to fill in our log book.

Ultimately, even though the first dive was a bit stressful it was still a very fun day. I would imagine it is better than Tutukaka dive as the group was smaller and there were quite a few regular experienced divers to show around. The other experienced divers also all spoke highly of the business over Tutukaka dive. To top it off, the service is also available for snorkeling and kayaking is available at the islands from the boat. All in all a great day out and well carried out with great gear and knowledgeable people in a more intimate setting - I would definitely reccomend it!

Reviewed 7 February 2017

I couldn't imagine a more perfect way to experience what diving the Poor Knights has to offer than with Yukon Dive. Their experienced crew are extremely nice and fun to dive with, and know a lot about the wildlife in the area. Our group had divers of every level, from open-water, to professional divers that couldn't get enough of Poor Knights. As a fairly new open-water diver, I felt that the Yukon crew gave me every opportunity to do just as much diving as the more seasoned divers and have a lot of freedom. I highly recommend doing the Night Dive, which was probably one of the most fun experiences I have ever had.
The dive boat was clean, spacious, and probably the most comfortable boat I have ever been on. The crew was friendly, funny, and are genuinely cool people who seem to absolutely love what they are doing.
I left the boat feeling like I definately had experienced what Poor Knights diving is all about, and in a personal, and very fun way.

Reviewed 3 February 2017 via mobile

A fabulous two day live-aboard experience, allowing for seven amazing dives. Excellent attentive and safety conscious crew (tech diver friendly), very homely twin-hulled boat from which to enjoy the Poor Knights, and delicious meals and snacks.

Reviewed 3 February 2017

We spent the whole day snorkelling and observing fish, guided to most interesting places by our skipper Glen, who answered all of our questions about the places and the sealife. Together with his crew, Marie, they also provided us with interesting stories about the origins of the islands' name, history and the wildlife. During the cruise to the islands we even had a unique chance to spot a whale feeding, which was a terrific experience! The unexpected musical performance in a big overwater cave also added to the experience and to the feeling of being close to the nature. A great day!