“Professional and pleasant”

Yukon Dive
Ranked #3 of 15 things to do in Tutukaka
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Yukon Dive is proudly 100% Kiwi owned and operated by husband and wife team Noel and Jo. We are experienced qualified dive Instructors who are extremely passionate about our environment and it's future and we pride ourselves in offering a professional, friendly and personal service. Our mission is to share our passion for the underwater world of the Poor Knights, with a focus on friendship, a spirit of adventure and a commitment to safety, the environment and our community. Enjoy the ultimate Poor Knights experience with a small group. Teeming with life, the unique marine environment of of the Poor Knights Marine Reserve provides exceptional scenery above and below the water. Whether you are an experienced diver or just beginning, snorkeling or sightseeing, we will both do our best to make sure that your experience at the Poor Knights is one to remember and tell all your friends about!
Reviewed 5 January 2015

We had a fantastic dive with Yukon dive staff during our stay in New Zealand. We enjoyed the small-sized group of people, the autonomy we were given, the quality of the equipment and the safety provided during the day.

All reviews
"swim throughs"
"highlight of our trip"
"great company"

Reviewed 24 December 2014

Excellent couple of days diving with Yukon! Jo was quick to respond to our enquiry via the website and very friendly and helpful. Skippers Noël and Glenn did a cracking job picking the best sites for the conditions and giving a full and detailed description of the dive sites. The Poor Knights are amazing, made even better by being in a small group of divers on a great boat. Oh and Rachel makes the best cup of tea.

Reviewed 20 December 2014

I can NOT remember the last time I have been this DISAPPOINTED with anything. And I have been through a lot of bad stuff during my 9 month travelling in Asia.
This is OVER-PRICED in terms of NO LUNCH INCLUDED, NO SERVICE and NO DIVEMASTER either, but they still charge every diver $260 for two dive.

First of all the dive briefing was horrible, they don't even draw the dive site for you, and you really need that when you go selfguided. At the first dive we got stucked on the outside of the arch and washed towards the cliffs, and there was no sight of the boat, so we couldn't yell for help.
Eventually we got out of it, and when we got back to the boat the two captains didn't even care about our story, they justed laughed and said.. Oh yeah thats what happens! What!? That f... NOT just what happens.. That's too little information and too bad service.
We are both experienced divers and have never felt uncomfortable while diving before, but this was a experience that reminds me most of a nightmare! There was no help with getting up on the boat and none of them helped us with anything concerning getting out of the water again. It was really shocking! What did we actually pay for?
While we waited for the other divers to finish we discovered that several of the other divers also popped up further away than planned and out in the blue, but to our big surprise no one but us told the captains that we were misinformed. They talked about security and safety, but seriously these guys have done this for too long time and dont care about the safety anymore. They just do it for money.. There is no passion in either of them!
I was speechless when I realized there wasn't lunch included, I mean for that price I didn't even hesitate that there was lunch included.. But I was in for another big disappointment.

We asked for a guided dive the second time, and the enthusiasm for helping us get around was close to zero. Everything before the dives was so unorganized and thats why it took ages to get in the water. Second dive was better, but definetely nothing special.. Even though no one else complained about the self guided dives, most of the other dives followed us and the one captain.. So my guess is that most of the people was uncomfortable, but didn't dare to tell anyone! Another thing is that the marine life was basically non-excisting. The only thing we saw was a lot of sea weed! Both divesites and the marine life was so disappointing.. But that's probably because we stopped in two small bays, so we could dive by ourselves and the guys could relax on the boat meanwhile.
We had a friend who waited for us in the town, so we had asked when we would get back and was told it wouldn't be later than 4.30pm.. We were back 6pm.
I have absolutely nothing positive to say about this trip other than it is a BIG RIP OFF!
I would suggest to go with Dive Tutukaka, as the safety, security and staff is a lot more humans than these guys!

7  Thank Libseth
Reviewed 19 December 2014

A+ - Yukon Dive Charters is easily one of the best operators I have had the pleasure of experiencing in my many trips around the world - who knew you didn't have to go far from home! Absolute professionally with a wicked sense of humor and a great Kiwi vibe, Joe and Noel are the perfect people to introduce you to the jewel that is the Poor Knights! - Cant believe it took so long! Absolutely stunning (if a bit fresh!), the Poor Knights with its shocking diversity and juxtaposition of cold water, tropical and temperature species are a result of its location at the terminus of the East Australia Current (I need to get to the EAC- Dude your riding it!). Ancients volcanic islets jut out of the oceans depths to be bathed in warm [comparatively], upwelling from the Coral Sea - resulting in a incredibly unique environment both biologically and geologically! Noel our skippers was perfect at introducing the island, it's history and its dive sites - everything went off without a hitch from the dolphin escort leaving the marina to our first dive literally being into a massive school of Trevally hanging out on the surface - just incredible. The small group sizes were perfect and the soup and bikkies after the dive really hit the spot! While I am horrible at fish identification, there were plenty of stingrays, trevally, black angelfish, scorpionfish, snapper, wrasse, goatfish, [a massive] crayfish, grouper, mosaic morals and plenty of colorful nuddies! Definitely one of my top favourite dive sites ever (which I guess puts me in the same boat as Jacques Cousteau)!

The Yukon boat is spacious and well equipt and the dive gear like brand new - the best I have ever used, everything worked perfectly and no hygiene issues due to Noel's strict no pee-ing in the suits rule (you have been warned!). Even better afterwards join Joe/ Noel and the team for a debrief in the afternoon sun (*fingers crossed*) of the marina Pizzeria for some cheap eats and great Czech beer!

You cannot go wrong with these guys - small groups, attention to detail and many years experience guarantees a great day!
Thanks Yukon Dive for enlightening me to the treasures right on our very doorstep, highly recommend to anyone looking for an introduction to this awe-inspiring place!

PS I hear tell of a live abroad with Yukon Dive which sounds amazing and I would love to check out in the future!!