Ballooning Canterbury - Hot Air Balloon Rides
Review Highlights
Definitely a must-do at least once in your life!

My fiance and I booked on a ballooning tour for 2nd November 2018. We were blown away by the... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
joannelailai
Singapore, Singapore
Worth the early start

The early start might put some people off but the whole experience is well worth worth it... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
stephencD6763TA
via mobile

All reviews ballooning canterbury early start amazing experience launch site ground crew new zealand great pilot bucket list afraid of heights sun rising amazing morning southern alps an experience not to be missed amazing photos fun experience perfect weather once in a lifetime
Reviewed 26 January 2018

-Probably priciest experience in my 8 day itinerary
-Schedule heavily dependent on weather (temperature)
-Experience heavily dependent on weather (clouds)
-Great pilots (Communication, lots of pictures)
-Hands on experience setting up and taking down (Some may take this as a negative, but not most of us)
-Drinks and snacks for a final celebration, quite fun
-Great views but more of the rural farmlands rather than the landscape
-Roughly around 4 hours due to set up and take down
-Flying does not constitute a majority of the time
-You will receive a call day before regarding status of flying based on weather
-If you do not receive a call, you're expected to call.
-I did not receive call but company insisted I they reached out three times but I dispute their claim
-Company sent a message day of flight that I didn't read which caused me to be a few hours early for the event (my fault)
-Another group from Singapore were in the same situation but I genuinely believed they never received the notification.

1  Thank leom1994
Michael O, Owner at Ballooning Canterbury - Hot Air Balloon Rides, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2018

Thankyou for your review. When dealing with so many passengers on a daily basis along with the weather and the early starts it can be very testing for an operator when many do not speak english as a first langauge. We ask passengers for a local or international phone number so we can contact them the night before and confirm weather and the meeting time the next morning. We also ask passengers to keep there phones switched on the next morning incase we have to cancel or delay due to weather. On your day the flight was delayed and a txt or phone call went out to 7 different numbers and were all asked to reply so we new that they had recieved it. The couple from Singapore chose to leave there phone off or were out of reception. We could have chose to cancel the flight early but with our local knowledge we felt a safe flight was possible later. We try to fly if suitable because so many people just come Christchurch for the ballooning.
So glad you enjoyed the experience and the weather cleared and we were able to fly you..

Reviewed 18 January 2018 via mobile

I was lucky enough to receive a voucher for ballooning Canterbury as a gift, and the whole experience was amazing! Loved every minute! And for someone who isn't the best morning person, 100% worth the early start to catch sun rise. Highly recommend this to everyone... also makes a good gift!

1  Thank KirstyF355
Reviewed 17 January 2018

Great views, very experienced "pilot" and fantastic all round experience.Champagne finish and very interesting explanation of the history of balloning.

Highly recommended

1  Thank patann2016
Reviewed 9 January 2018

Michael & his staff at Ballooning Canterbury were fantastic. A first rate shop with great staff, efficiently run, shared knowledgable information and always felt safe the entire time! A must do when visiting Christchurch to get a real sense of the landscape. Beautiful Canterbury - thank you Michael

Date of experience: December 2017
Reviewed 3 January 2018

This is a fantastic experience. My daughter Emma took me out for a 68 birthday treat. Thoroughly recommend this up up and away experience. Great team, thanks Mike.
Cheers