“This is a hotel too, but Tripadvisor doesn't let me review it as such!”
Review of El Mirador

El Mirador
Cuisines: Ecuadorean
Description: Sometimes the town is just called Los Bancos. It is located between Quito and Pedro Vicente Maldonado
Reviewed 21 June 2017

We stayed at Hostal Restaurante El Mirador for 3 nights. Its location is strategic, as it stands in a sort of crossroads between various Ecuatorian birding attractions - Mindo, Angel Paz, Mashpi --, thus being very convenient for a change of direction and as a base for day trips. El Mirador is right off the main road, and one would expect it to be noisy at night, but traffic is almost nonexistent after 9pm. The lodgings are simple but clean. Most of them are laid out side by side on the driveway leading to the restaurant. I had a 2-bedroom-1-bathroom, and chose the back bedroom fearing the noise. It was small but comfortable (and since I wasn't sharing, I used the front bedroom for my luggage). The only real issue was accessing the one electrical plug in my room (to download photos, recharge batteries, etc.), which was behind the bed and close to the floor, requiring me to stretch my arm behind the very tight space between the tall headrest and the wall.

The food at the restaurant was honest, no frills, and generous. Wi-fi only works in the common areas.

What makes this place so special, however, is the huge terrace behind the restaurant. We arrived when it was already dark, but very early the next morning I was there and got the sunrise of the trip. This terrace overlooks the Rio Blanco valley, a very lovely landscape of mountains and steep forests, and is chock full of birds. The owner, Patricio, a very affable and welcoming chap, lays out sugar water bottles for the hummingbirds and fruit for the other birds; movement picks up pretty much while the sun is going up. It is a wonderful sight to see and photograph, and he was kind enough to put out fresh coffee for us while we were admiring the bird life. Breakfast (facing the banana feeder) was interrupted several times when interesting birds popped up for a snack. We had trouble getting out of there on the first morning, since there was so much to see! El Mirador del Blanco was a rewarding stay for our 3 nights.

Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

What a beautiful hidden place. Food and service are great and the views are breathtaking. Plan to spend time here to enjoy the birds, view, coffee and the tree bridge. You can walk across a wooden bridge to the platform under the tree. It is worth it. Just a magical place.

Reviewed 16 April 2017

We were welcomed by Patricio, who was very cordial and knowledgeable about the local birds. He even helped me ID a new bird I saw in Milpe. The dining tables faced the bird feeders and photographing the birds was easy. On the terrace, one could view the river down and the clouds up. Beautiful! The food served was delicious and prices were reasonable. Service was quick. There was ample parking.

Reviewed 31 March 2017

If you want to stay in Los Bancos, you must stay at the Mirador Rio Blanco. The owner is one of the friendliest people I’ve met in Ecuador, they have a nice patch of rainforest in the backyard, the rooms are clean and secure, and the restaurant is great. Why stay anywhere else?

Reviewed 4 December 2016 via mobile

Everything there is Great. From the rooms to sleep to the food, fantastic!!!
Excelent place for Birding too!!!
The owner is all arround and one of the best person I need in the world. Carefull with the gests when they are at the lodge (I was never without a beer in my hand!) And he helped me now, sending a picture of a famous artist from Equador to complete my Gallery.
I recomend, Will return and when you Go there, don't miss the coconut swrimp!! And "Pato", the owner.