All reviews san domenico olive trees private beach golf course self absorbed garden suite junior suite shellfish beautiful grounds fantastic stay local cuisine gorgeous pool hotel guests food and wine perfect service shuttle bus hotel is beautiful
Reviewed 10 September 2018

This is a wonderful venue. I did not stay as a hotel guest but was there for the evening event. It was dark when i arrived and the whole place outside was lit with candles and discrete lighting. An outside venue had been erected for the meal and the whole atmosphere was wonderful. The food was excellent. I was particularly impressed by the fact that those of us who did not eat meat had a different menu in front of them. I did not even realise until the person next to me said that the next course was lamb which was not on my menu so we compared menus. The staff brought the correct meal to each person. Quite a contrast to a recent experience at another venue where 3 out of the six of us at a table did not eat meat. We were still served it and when we reminded the staff member we were offered a plate of potatoes as an alternative. The staff were very friendly and professional.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2018

This is no place for a single traveller, or, dare I say it, anyone other than self absorbed couples whose most significant relationship is with their phone.
Reception is housed behind ever-closed giant doors. Staff are sequestered behind a desk some metres away, and stay that way. My arrival experience was chilly, if not arctic.
The place is divine, the grounds, the buildings, the pool, the suites. Faultless.
The shuttle goes to the beach club, the golf club and their sister property, but not to the little town of Savelletri. Booking a taxi proved impossible - 'reception' informed me that I had to book ahead in this busy period, but not, unfortunately when I checked in, only when I wanted to get out.
I had prepaid 9 days. I checked out after 6 having given them 5 days notice. I fully understand their no refund policy but asked them to put the room up for sale online. They refused. without apology or empathy.
Unless you have a car and some company and don't mind eating at your hotel most of the time, this is not for you (or me).

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2018

The grounds at this resort are amazing, peaceful and beautiful. The pool was huge and the spa very disappointing (musty with ok therapists). I was coming from a week sailing in Greece to this very expensive resort. My first sign of issues were by the pool on day one. There is a bar behind the pool and two cabana boys to "help". They just all sat at the bar and I had to get up and start walking to them before they would get towels, put up umbrellas, get drinks or food. Oh, forgot to mention, we were one of 3 couples by a pool that could hold 75.

Everything is very strict on when you can order food, when the bar is open, lunch, etc. So if you get hungry at 3pm...good luck. I asked to order off the room service menu outside by the bar and was told it was against their policy by the front desk. I asked to speak to the manager who also informed me that it was the "owners' policy. Note to the owner....learn how to be flexibly. This gets back to my point about how this place only caters to old people....which is fine...but my warning to you.

At dinner I found out that you could not wear shorts...anywhere. There is only one place to get dinner...the bar only has bar snacks. So we ended up having to eat room service EVERY night, in our room since we could't go to get a proper dinner. Oh, I did get back to my room and find two pairs of pressed pants in my closet! Not only did I find this insuluting, but disgusting. Why the hell would I wear strange pants? Maybe old Italians do, but I don't. When I talked to the front desk/manager the 3rd day, she said "i'll see what the chef can do". Guess what...not a word back from her ever nor did they ever try to help me. Luckily I had a balcony on my room to eat on. Funny thing was, it over looked the bar 10 yards away. Good thing for "policies"! Ridiculous.

I must say the only good thing about this place were the grounds, the pool, and the bartender the last few nights. Unfortunately, I will never stay here again and would not recommend it. I was just at the four seasons in Koh Samui where the service was unreal. In addition to the hotel Portrait Roma where we had amazing service. At one point I asked for some chips..they didn't have so he ran out across the street to get.

Masseria San Domenico's owner needs to learn a bit about high end service from others who have been doing it for a while. Believe it or not, its ok to break the rules now and then!

Room tip: Honestly, avoid unless you are older and enjoy early dinners.
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2018

It's always a gamble choosing a 5 star hotel - will it really live up to my hopes for a perfect vacation? This Masseria does that and more.

My husband and I stayed for almost a week while waiting for my son's wedding at a neighboring Masseria. We had several friends staying in this hotel and by the time we all left, we felt as though the staff were part of our family. Each and every one of the women who served us, or helped us, or cleaned the room, or answered questions was so lovely, charming, and gracious that their smiles became a wonderful part of our day.

I could go on and on about the details of how the entire staff just got it "right" but suffice it to say that after one request, they all acted as though they could read our minds.

The hotel is beautiful - the grounds, the rooms, the spa area. Just immaculate and spectacular. Interestingly, the hotel was sold out and my friends and I kept remarking that there was hardly anybody about. Only a few at the magnificent pool or at breakfast. I don't know where everybody was, but you can feel sublimely indulged in the most lovely private way no matter where you go on the grounds.

The breakfast buffet, which we ate outside every morning, was everything we could have asked for and the setting combined with the staff's grace, made each morning a delight.

I know that if I return to Puglia in the future, I will not hesitate to stay at Masseria San Domenico.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2018

Truly a five star resort. Our second floor suite looked over the olive groves (I suggest you request this location) and then to the sea. To the left the view is the pool. The room, bathroom and terrace were fabulous. The grounds are wonderful and the pools together with the outside dining magnificent. I particularly enjoyed walking among the old olive trees.
All the service is attentive, professional, rsponsive and friendly. There is nothing more you could want from any staff.
Though most of the guests appear stay at the resort for the pool, am entities and spa, we toured Pulia daily with our guide. If you are going to leave the resort, be aware there is no public transportation or taxis and you need a car or a guide.
I would highly recommend this property to anyone traveling to Pulia.

Room tip: junior suite facing the olive groves
Date of stay: June 2018