“Don't listen to the pessimists!”

Reviewed 21 January 2014

First of all, there are many hot springs here! Not just one, or two, or three, but I found at least 4 pools. It just takes some exploring or a guide - so yeah I do think it's worth the money to pay for a guide who knows the hot springs well.

Secondly, this is not a "resort" or anything like that. These are natural hot springs - THANK GOD they have not been developed. So if you enjoy natural treasures, tucked away from development and paved roads, then you will enjoy these.

There is an area that you can change in.

The other reviewers are correct in that it is not fun during the midday because of the heat, BUT, the river is lovely and cold, so you can still go swimming. I had a blast exploring the river, then the hot springs. There are also some "tepid" springs along the river that have mixed with cold river water for a not-so-hot spring experience. I enjoyed those pools as well.

If you want a good little hike to prepare you for a cold river plunge, you can park before you cross the bridge. It is a nice walk.

5  Thank leahg123

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Most people get to Caldera, take the right down the gravel road to the cement dam (they're constructing a hydroelectric dam), and park up. You can cross the dam and park closer to the trail, but there is more security by the guard shack. Cross over the river and reach the hot springs signs at the dead end. There is a rock painted with an arrow pointing left for the hot springs (those most reviewers go to at someone's house). The other direction takes about 1.5 hours of walking, crossing the river in two spots, and takes you to Los Pozos de Abuela, which are more the local favorite. From there, continue down the road, wade across the river (no deeper than shins), where they're building a bridge. Continue along the river proper to another crossing where you can take the suspended and suspect bridge or wade across again (knee-deep). Then reach the point where the trail cuts into the hillside and you can walk down along the horse/cow track (very muddy), or walk along the upper sides billy-goat style. Pass a few houses on your left and always keep to the right. Follow the second sign to Abuela to the right. Reach a closed gate and go through it. Continue down to the hot springs about 5 minutes further. You may be asked to pay $5. This option makes it a longer and more adventurous outing than walking 15 minutes to a few shared baths. After the hot hike, follow the many paths to the sandy banks of the large river and go for a cool swim!

1  Thank Kirsten M
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My husband and I decided to visit this place part of a scenic tour. The place is only accessible by car or organized transportation. You also need to walk a good 15 minutes to get there in very rocky terrain, and dodge horse poop on the way. Anyone with mobility issues should avoid this trip. When we got there, there were no changing rooms. The access to the two small puddles is also tricky and slippery. The water is not deep, maybe mid waist when you sit down. I say, stay away, there are other things to do in Boquete.

1  Thank Viviane F
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Only in Panama can one hike to a front yard, paid just $2, and jump into the hot springs in their front yard! The hike was fantastic and easy (even with a bad knee). Once we arrived, we were welcomed... and even one of the little girls came and sat with us for awhile. The springs are not that big... and the river is a quick walk down a slight hill. There were about 10 other people down there with us... and we just made new friends. We didn't feel rushed or anything.... good times!

3  Thank TravelingGal_69
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Nice little hike up to the hot springs, but I will agree with other posts-- the actual hot springs don't hold many people and so I felt a little rushed because other people were waiting. But let's be honest... sitting in a hot spring on a really hot, humid day made me feel like my face was going to melt off, so we didn't hang in there too long. We actually had more fun over in the river that is very, very close by. And this is just an observation, but we met the monkey that snatches stuff and it was with his owner. Not cool. Keep an eye on your stuff.

1  Thank Ilene I