Review Highlights
Nice and relaxing experience!

After reading the reviews this place really was a positive surprise! We took a public bus from... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Meri1986
Helsinki, Finland
via mobile
Better swim in the river ...

The location is nice. There is a river that you can access without paying the $2 fee. The thermal... read more

Reviewed 21 August 2018
Stavros M
New Zealand

All reviews hot springs the river the bus gravel road bring water follow the path hot pools in town boquete minutes hike car sign rocks entrance land yard
Reviewed 10 January 2013

So here is the thing. If you've seen nice natural hotsprings before, you will be totally disappointed. I've enjoyed over 5 in the US, Canada and Costa Rica and this one was definitly the least intesting. We had our own wheels so it was OK but I would have been upset paying 30$/person or this. Also consider that the pools are tiny so the maxmum number of people that can comfortably fit in the 2 pools are approximatly 3-4 people in the large one and 2 in the smaller one. There was people when we arrived to be decided to enjoy the river instead. When we left, there was over 20 people on site.... Oh yeah, and avoid the mid-afternoon heat!

Date of experience: January 2013
2  Thank KimR5
Reviewed 3 September 2012

After taking the time to drive and hike to the hot springs it is a complete disappointment. There is one spring and it took me three tries to find it. It's a muddy walk and no direction. If you want to cool off after you walk about 150 meters to the river, you need water shoes which I didn't have..

Date of experience: August 2012
Reviewed 22 August 2012

rustic and hot. Its hot outside the springs as well, the other people around spent the majority of the time running away from the monkey or down at the river. The actual springs are neat because they are rustic, no swim up bar. Tip. Bring water and snacks, they dont sell any down there. bonus, it is only $2 to get in. Neg. Hot walk from the road to the springs.

Date of experience: July 2012
2  Thank egleton l
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is a really low-key version of a hot springs destination. As long as you don't expect the Ritz, you will enjoy the experience.

If you lack 4x4, park at the security booth by the canal and walk the rest of the way (20 minutes to the springs) - we saw another sedan get stuck on the road. The walk is perfectly nice, anyway. When you arrive, the proprietress will take $2 and warn you about the monkey. You just need to keep all your knick-knacks in your bag. Then you wander the path between the hot springs.

We enjoyed a quick dip in each of the springs, some of which have benches/flat rocks, others do not. The temperature is warm and it is neat to see the bubbles coming up from the ground. The only downside was that it was a very hot day, so we didn't want to hang out in the springs for too long. Some people were swimming in the river to cool off, but it is downstream of a quarry of some kind, and I couldn't convince myself that the cloudiness in the river was natural...

Anyhow, this is a nice outing from Boquete. I would recommend going very early in the day when the air is cooler to maximize your enjoyment of the warm waters.

Date of experience: August 2012
1  Thank skiahl
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We headed to the Caldera Hot Springs with no information to go off of (our friend had been to other hot springs in the area, but not here.) We had a GREAT time, even though we missed the turn (and there were 2 entrances) so we hiked for about 5-6 hours "out of our way".... But I say that sarcastically because the hike, although tiring and seemingly all uphill, it was a beautiful experience and I dont regret it one bit! There must have been 20 different colors of soil/stine/clay/dirt and lots of wildlife to see and enjoy, and of course, the view when we got to the openings-- the valley is a gorgeous sight! We finally got to the hot springs (After seeing the "back entrance" from the trail) and honestly, we spent most of our time in the river, enjoying the cool rush! (we were incredibly hot and sweaty from the hike in the 90-100 degree heat.) the woman warned us about the monkey; and we found out for ourselves that he isn't afraid of us! So, that's my only "beware," te monkey will try to take your hat, or sunglasses, or camera, or whatever he can grab with his swift hand-like feet! Overall, this was an AMAZING experience and I'd DEFINITLEY recommend it to anyone & everyone!