“Unspectacular pub food”

Ranked #27 of 53 Restaurants in Porirua
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2017

My wife, a friend and I went there on a busy Saturday night. The service was still pretty good, and the food okay for a pub. We had the ceviche, which was served in big chunks in a glass and resembled to my taste a not very good Hawaiian Poke, but my friend quite liked hers. The mains we had were the special of the day, sirloin steak, salad and chips; lamb shanks; and pork belly. The steak was pretty tough, but the salad and chips nice, the lamb shank dish (with mash, spinach and carrot) was pretty good plain cooking and
the pork was not fatty and was the hit, I think. We did not have deserts. Lots of people around us had the crumble which looked tasty. The wine list was somewhat limited, but as a bit of a special occasion, we had a very nice Devil's Staircase pinot ($56). The place was full of locals and families, which is slightly surprising given the cost of mains which is $24-30 more or less. But they do have kids meals, relaxed atmosphere, and a big screen for the rugby. I think a bit overpriced for the quality and size of the portions which are okay, but not large by pub standards. I think there's not too much dining in the area. They are very good about accommodating gluten-freeness and coeliac, which was very nice for my friend who is the latter.

Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

One of those evenings where we didn't feel like cooking. Called and made a reservation very easily and seated promptly on arrival. Drinks menu first and then had to ask for a food menu after drinks arrived. I know it's a pub but I can order food and a drink at the same time it's not complicated.
Entrees arrived quickly but as we were sharing a couple of small plates would have been nice.
Mains were quick to come when the table was cleared. The nicer bun was a little soggy which made me think the food was sitting there're for a bit before being delivered to the table. Rate the food a generous 7 for taste and a 4 for value. We didn't bother with dessert.

Reviewed 10 June 2017

Catching up with friends. the food was good, the setting was average, the staff were friendly and responsive but not proactive. We had booked a table and had to go to the bar to get drinks on two occasions and only once did someone come to the table to serve us for drinks. It didn't have an atmosphere that kept us there long after we finished dinner. Nice food though.

Reviewed 2 June 2017

This review is based on us visiting on Mother's day when it was very busy. However, I would've thought that the venue would've planned for this. We were seated straight away and our food arrived not long after. Nothing over spectacular about the food and I do think the price was a bit high for what we got. There is also a very limited menu. Then it just go gradually worse. We sat for a good 20 minutes waiting for our plates to be removed and to be asked if we wanted dessert. We left with the table remaining uncleared our sweet tooth palate still wanting.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Dropped in on Friday night without a booking. The place was full but they found us a table. Very attentive service and the meals came at the same time and were hot and really tasty. Will definitely return. Great dessert.