“We'd go there a lot if it was just down the road”

The Co-Op Kitchen & Bar
Ranked #7 of 53 Restaurants in Porirua
Price range: US$9 - US$22
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Whitby Co-Op Kitchen and Bar, made for the community, by the community.
Reviewed 10 August 2017

The Co-Op is a new incarnation of the old Whitby Pub. It serves burgers, wood-fired pizzas and up-market pub food. The place is well laid-out as it has lots of separate spaces. The decor is to have a recycled wood look, and we found that there were few really hard surfaces so not too noisy. The place is very popular with families, and kids seems well-served. The wait staff were friendly and efficient. We had a entree of prawns
(my least favourite; nothing wrong, but not very interesting), my wife had pork belly with a large amount of potatoes, some carrot and beans, and I had the sous-vide lamb on gratin potatoes, lots of beetroots and spinach. Both were very nice, if slightly salty. The crackling was great, but I wonder if I am getting too old for it! For desert my wife had tasty pecan pie, which came with cream, but the staff gladly replaced with ice-cream when asked, and I had the brulee which was small but delicious. The beer list is extensive with lots of craft beers, the wine list is limited and we had a devil's staircase pinot which is a bit pricey at $58, but a nice wine. There are much cheaper options. The upmarket mains are in the mid-20's to $30 range, the pizzas and burgers in the low 20's. Monday seems to be a cheap burger night. The place is very popular with the locals and I am glad we booked. Most of the locals seemed to have the pizzas. Good selection of kid's meals. Parts of the menu are very friendly to the gluten-free (such as my wife). We grabbed the lunch menu as we might well stop here when we are cycling in the area. Mainly pizzas and up-market burgers, and all day breakfasts (eggs Benedict, Florentine, big breakfast, etc) in the 15-20 range, more or less standard for the Wellington region by now. We found this restaurant significantly better than the Supply Room which we went to last week, which is in the same general region of Whitby/Plimmerton. I think ``pretty good for Whitby'' might sound damning with feint praise, but is accurate; and many Wellington suburbs could be put in the place of Whitby in this statement. We will go again, likely for lunch whilst cycling in the area, as it is a bit far from where we live for dinner.

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

The food was delicious and very good value, the waitress really friendly but the person behind the bar dark (short girl black hair) spoke to the team with no respect, never smiled at us or any customers and was plain rude, you could tell the team felt uncomfortable around her which on flowed to the customers.

People like this shouldn't work in service!

Would walk out if she was working again. A shame as.the food really was yum!

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Felt like just another suberban pub when approaching it through the shared carpark, but once inside it was obvious that we were in a 'local' with a very Engish feel (and lots of English accents) - and on a cold night the warmth of this popular venue was well appreciated.
An interesting wine and beer selection with a good number of craft beers rpresented added to the fun, plus the food, although typical pub nosh was tasty and generous.
If your in the area, worth a visit - I hope the locals appreciate what they have got and continue to support this 'local'
Wewill be back.

Reviewed 2 July 2017

Came here for lunch with family. Staff were great. It was my 5 year old son's birthday and they made him feel very special.

Food was not bad. The kid had the mac and cheese from the kids menu - very nice. I had the chorizo hash - not bad though poached eggs were a bit overcooked. Wife had the fish and chips which was a large portion and tasty.

All in all - not bad for a place in Whitby.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

Sunday evening was booked but The Co-Op still accommodated us. We were so impressed with the customer service and the food that we returned the following night.