“Lovely lunch”

Gear Homestead Cafe
Ranked #16 of 53 Restaurants in Porirua
Reviewed 28 July 2017

A group of 15 of us met for a catch up lunch that we have every 6 months, we a large table and was nicely situated by the window. Weather was not the best but nice and cosy inside. Its ashame that the carpark is a long way from the front door ans there is no cover ion the walkway to get to the venue.

Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

I took to the Gear Homestead on Sat 15 July 2017, ten members of my family, in fact there were two families of four (two adults and two children) and my husband and myself. A total of ten people.
We ordered a brunch meal from the menu. The first thing that caught my eye was the lack of food tasty enough for children and also the assortment of foods offered. The cabinet was not that eye catching either.
We all managed to choose something from the menu and duly ordered drinks as well.
At this point we were told that we had to go up to the counter to place our order. We either ALL went up together or we had to write the orders down ourselves. Not a good start. One of our son's took a serviette and wrote down everyone's order.
Having given that to the staff member behind the counter, we duly find that they do not accept Credit Card (this is NOT an option to use to pay for food). So out comes the eftpos card.
Having paid over $150.00 for 10 meals including drinks and the meals were terrible, the crepes were burnt and hard, also the poached eggs were almost hard.
I was not at all impressed and I felt very embarrassed considering I live in Aotea. So close to home.
When Gear Homestead first opened it was all out to impress. Not now. The chef and food selection should go and replaced with decent food and a qualified chef who can cook good meals.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

We just moved in to the neighborhood and decided to try their breakfast on a Saturday morning. We were there at 10am and there was only one customer there. I love the setting in the cafe and we can see the view from our table.

There was selection from the cabinet as well as from the menu. Hubby got the big breakfast and I had the French crepes. We thought the breakfast was lovely, wouldn't score the food 5 out of 5 but it was a good meal. The staff came to check on us and make sure we are happy with everything.

After reading all the reviews today i was surprised as we definitely had a great time there and was happy that we found a good cafe that within walking distance. We will be back for sure.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

The cafe was busy and cheerful. The counter staff were very friendly and they have a good tea menu. I would have liked a salad but there wasn't one on the menu. My daughters casserole was luke warm and had to be sent back to the kitchen which meant we were not eating at the same time. My vegetable stack would have been improved with more vegetables than spinach and potato. It was really nice to drink our tea out of a fine china cup.

Reviewed 4 May 2017

I went with a group for High Tea in the morning and we were served a 3-tier cake stand with sandwiches, cold frittata, cakes and scone and jam. We were not as impressed with the food as we have been at other locations, but the set up of the tables for our group of 25 was excellent and we were invited to view the gardens but as it was raining we didn't take this option up.