“Best Scrambled Eggs in town!”
Review of Bay Espresso

Bay Espresso
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 2 July 2023

Delicious breakfast, great service and the best coffee! Interior has been tarted up and the cabinet was colourful and well-stocked. Will always recommend this place!

Date of visit: June 2023

Reviewed 29 June 2022

Great cafe and pleased to find while staying in Hastings. Fantastic coffee, great food, knowledgeable staff. Use local, fresh ingredients. Service was fab. Couldn't fault it apart from saying I wish it was closer to where we live!

Date of visit: January 2022
Reviewed 16 January 2022 via mobile

We arrived at 12.30- had to be away by 1pm. By 12.55 we checked on our order- they said not long. By 1.05 pm we said not to bother if they hadn’t started it or we would takeaway if they were nearly done.
Received the takeaway by 1.15. Went and as we were driving I was so hungry I went to eat my gf toast and saw that it wasnt gf!!!

When I order any food I am very explicit. I am coeliac so I look for what could be gf - check and add a couple of slices of toast - I also make it clear that I am coeliac so I need a bit of care taken with utensils, toaster etc
I asked for 2x slices of white toast and a small portion of potato salad.
Hubby ordered eggs Benedict w bacon which was pretty hard to eat as a takeaway.

So we drove back and I spoke to the boy at the till and said it’s not gf?! He said it’s white and you asked for white.
Did he even know what coeliac is? Did he understand gluten-free, obviously not.
I am so upset at having to wait for half an hour for two slices of toast and a cabinet salad and then find it’s not gf!!!
Train your staff!!!!
Have someone on the register taking orders who knows what they are doing and let people know if there is a wait!!?So very annoyed and disappointed

Date of visit: January 2022
1  Thank kiwibear
Reviewed 27 January 2021

I cover the central North Island and bottom third of the South Island for work and this is the best cafe I have ever visited. I would even rank it better than anything I had in 11 years in Aussie.
The salads were so fresh, it’s like they were straight from the garden to the table. Great choices and variety and I loved that I could have two salads in my bowl.
The drink, well the best ever soy chai latte ever. Just so smooth and not too sweet.
To top off the visit, the staff were friendly, helpful, knew the ingredients off by heart and smiled so genuinely,
I visit Hawkes Bay every month and so pleased to finally find a decent cafe for lunch.
Even tempted to buy food to take for dinner as well.

Date of visit: January 2021
Reviewed 3 February 2020

I've been here many times in the past. This time I didn't recognise any of the staff so perhaps there's been new management and a radical overhaul. The coffee, historically, was always good but today was it weak and flavourless. Asking for a cappuccino, the barista produced something akin to a flat white. Maybe a lack of barista skill; maybe not caring enough. Pity. I won't be going back.

Date of visit: February 2020