Lowest prices for your stay
Special rate available
Dublin

Best Hotel in the Best Part of Town

Review of Gladstone House
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 16 Sept 2012
Well, I just loved this place; wasn't sure about it on arrival, but once you head up those wide wooden stairs with that fab art up on the walls, you realise that this 'oldest boutique hotel in the world' is actually pretty special. The room was fun and they all seem to be individually decorated; sleep was excellent, but possibly my favourite part of the hotel is the lobby area on each floor...it is so peaceful there in the early morning, you can work, read, think with large self-service carriers of coffee and tea just around the corner. Free WIFI everywhere and no need for a password: loving that. The tram stops literally in front of the hotel (the 501), but even a trot down town is worth it because you end up passing great shop after great shop..NOW, the annoying thing is (a) shocking placement of sockets in the room (they actually appear to want to hide them) and (b) VERY noisy on weekend nights with the band bashing it out in the club below. So push that into your thinking when you look for your room - head up to the top floor if you can...anyway, from the groovy art, very helpful front desk to the funky staff and liberal-artsy feel to it, I warmed to this hotel after 20 minutes and that warm glow stayed with me for the four days of my stay - VERY GOOD VALUE TOO when compared to the anodine competition down town..
Date of stay: September 2012
Room Tip: Be aware of band noise at the weekends - and try and get up to the top floor!
Trip type: Travelled on business
  • Fairmont
3.7 km from Gladstone House
View more hotels in Toronto
1,072 results
All reviews melody bar operated elevator antique elevator queen street fourth floor main floor bars and restaurants wedding earplugs west drake
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Being a Toronto native I seldom have a chance to experience the local hotels on offer, but I was able try out several of the Gladstone Hotel's rooms while my home was being repaired after a flood. My job requires that I spend at least 1/3 of my year living in hotels, all over the world, so I consider myself something of an expert...though rarely do I feel compelled to write a review. The place would have to either be pretty awful, or absolutely amazing. Gladstone Hotel is firmly in the later category: amazing amazing amazing. Not only was each room entertaining, in their own uniquely beautiful way, but they were uniformly comfortable, spotlessly clean, quiet and generally well appointed. Keep in mind that I wasn't staying as a leisure tourist -- my days were spent fretting over the state of my home, so it's no small feat that the hotel managed to create an air of calm and comfort like the Gladstone did. A large part of this is also due to the incredibly competent and friendly staff they have working there. There is nothing more depressing than checking into a hotel and being made to feel like you're inconveniencing the staff. The Gladstone experience is quite the opposite. Courteous, welcoming, knowledgeable. On top of all this, the hotel has two fantastic restaurants (a cafe and bar). Usually I can't wait to get out and explore when I'm in a hotel, and usually the hotel restaurants are sub par compared to what's on offer nearby -- once again, the Gladstone surpasses expectations and offers up delicious, healthy food in a relaxed atmosphere. The staff in the restaurant are just like their front desk counterparts, kind and attentive.
If you're planning a trip to Toronto, I have to tell you that booking a room at the Gladstone will greatly enhance your stay. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Room tip: rooms facing north -- away from the street -- are a little more quiet
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I really enjoyed my experience at this boutique hotel. The staff were friendly and took the time to talk to you, unlike many chain hotels. I stayed in the Model Citizen, which was beautifully-decorated and the furnishing were well-maintained. While the room was small, it didn't feel cramped. The historical elevator, seating areas and wide halls with artwork really gave the building a unique feel, while modern conveniences such as free WIFI is appreciated (although the signal wasn't very strong in the room)

The only drawback I caution is noise travels in the building and the neighbourhood can get really busy in the evenings. I suggest considering this when you select your room. I was located facing east on the 3rd floor at the end of the hall, so didn't notice outside noise. But at least they provide ear plugs in the room. Overall, a fantastic experience and highly recommended.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank ml2982
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Very trendy, fun hotel. Each room is uniquely decorated in an artistic manner. It also has a trendy bar so it's a great place for people looking to have a fun time. There was all sorts of interesting and unique pieces of are displayed in the hallways and there was even a performance going on in the hotel when we arrived. Be sure to go through the different rooms on their website to pick your favorite! Overall a nice hotel!

Date of stay: July 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2012

This hotel is in brief an art gallery. Its funky, the staff is pleasant and informative, The rooms are creative but this is not the hotel for you if you are a conservative traveller. It reminded me of rooms that I have stayed in while vacationing in Europe. The neighbourhood is alive with music, restaurants and boutiques. A supermarket is conveniently located directly behind the hotel.
Upon checking into my room I was treated to opera in the common space of my floor which doubles as a gallery and coffee station in the morning.

Room tip: Ask for a room facing the supermarket as there is significantly less noise on this side of the building.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank chloe070
Reviewed 28 August 2012

ok, very small room. We stayed in room 311, "the Trading Post". Cool atmosphere through the whole place, great bars and restaurants within walking distance but SO LOUD!!!! all night. We went out for dinner and many drinks, but could hardly sleep due to the noise. The rooms are all equipped with earplugs. At first i thought this was an over exaggeration but come 4am i totally understood. i had to keep re-inserting mine as i slept. Every time someone came onto our floor, closed a door or coughed you could hear them. I even think i could hear someone snoring a room away (it might have been my husband). Its a very old hotel and thats their excuse anyway, no insulation. Its a cool place, with a neat vibe, but i would NOT stay here a busy night, e.g. a saturday.

Brunch was ok. Original menu, but flavour lacking.

We paid $125 a night. Seems fair. I wouldn't pay full price, $200+.

3.5 / 5

Room tip: "classic" room is very small.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple