Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Get rewarded with One Key
$527
Agoda.com
$461
Fully refundable before Fri, 3 May
Easy and fast booking
1,072 results
All reviews melody bar operated elevator antique elevator queen street fourth floor main floor bars and restaurants wedding earplugs west drake
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 August 2012

ok, very small room. We stayed in room 311, "the Trading Post". Cool atmosphere through the whole place, great bars and restaurants within walking distance but SO LOUD!!!! all night. We went out for dinner and many drinks, but could hardly sleep due to the noise. The rooms are all equipped with earplugs. At first i thought this was an over exaggeration but come 4am i totally understood. i had to keep re-inserting mine as i slept. Every time someone came onto our floor, closed a door or coughed you could hear them. I even think i could hear someone snoring a room away (it might have been my husband). Its a very old hotel and thats their excuse anyway, no insulation. Its a cool place, with a neat vibe, but i would NOT stay here a busy night, e.g. a saturday.

Brunch was ok. Original menu, but flavour lacking.

We paid $125 a night. Seems fair. I wouldn't pay full price, $200+.

3.5 / 5

Room tip: "classic" room is very small.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank jonner416
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Rooms all different- they've kept the charm of the old building and there's lots happening in this area, and particularly at the hotel. Perfect for the artistically inclined, perhaps not for a more traditional hotel experience. 2 live music events one night did mean some noise transfer, but not a major problem...

Date of stay: June 2012
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank nathanwaks
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We stayed in the felt room and then the bilio room, and the bilo was by far our favourite. It's so much nicer than the photos!! With its red walls, velvet bedspread and curtains, and stacked books, it was the perfect hideaway in west queen west for a couple of academics. The food and art is amazing too (try the panelle sandwich - it's unbelievable), and the staff were so helpful and kind. We honestly couldn't have had a better time. Can't recommend it enough!

Room tip: The Bilio was great! The Canadiana looked nice too (we saw it while touring the building).
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2012

My friends and I enjoyed the Gladstone. The hotel was in a good area. A distance from downtonw but cabs were not expensive. Rooms were clean. Staff was very helpful. They did have vegan options. Their chef is excellent. The art was an added plus. Angelina had arranged a great stay. Unfortunately I did not get to meet her.

Room tip: Speak to Angelina. She will advise.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

This review leans to a four star review because of it's cleanliness. The reason I am giving 3 is that it doesn't live up to his self proclaimed art hotel status.

I stayed here in August in one of the standard rooms (the chinese room 417).

The room was clean and comfy, but i wouldn't say it was particularily arty. Just a standard room. With a bit of wear and tear.

The common areas were not particularily stylish either. Reception staff was very cheerful and friendly, but not neccessarily knowledgeable.

I liked the location of the hotel. It's in the very trendy queen street west area, far enough away from the tourists areas to feel authentic, but the centre was easily reached by a 10 min tram ride.

There was very loud music on the weekends, so if you like peace and quiet don't stay here on weekends. I could hear it on the 4th floor at around 3 pm. Yhe floorboards were shaking from the bass.

Free wifi and complementary coffee outside the room in the mornings. No bathropes.

I think I paid approx £120 ($180) per night and for this price I would have preferred to have stayed at the drake next door (it was much more stylish) or I would have liked to stay at the thompson for it's rooftop pool and bar.

This isn't a fashionable hotel. Stay here if you are under 30, an art student or if style isn't one of your priorities.