Lowest prices for your stay
$628
Fully refundable before Sat, 8 Jun
No prepayment needed
Artgrrl04

Interesting, artsy, and comfortable too

Review of Gladstone House
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 15 Aug 2012
We chose this hotel because we were intrigued by its concept - artist-designed, atmospheric rooms. Our room, The Urban Traveller, was clean, comfortable, visually interesting. Although not large, the space was used efficiently. All the staff members with whom we had contact were pleasant, helpful, clearly concerned with the quality of our stay. The public spaces are also attractive and contain a wealth of visual stimulation; coffee and tea are provided in the morning. There are many intriguing shops and restaurants within walking distance; downtown is in easy reach via streetcar. If you are a traveller who needs two queen size beds, wall-to-wall carpet, a full business center, you should probably look elsewhere. But if you, as did we, crave a unique, not mass-produced experience, without sacrificing comfort and service, this is an excellent choice.
Date of stay: August 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3.0 of 5 bubblesValue
    $842
4.3 km from Gladstone House
View more hotels in Toronto
1,073 results
All reviews melody bar operated elevator antique elevator queen street fourth floor main floor bars and restaurants wedding earplugs west drake
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed on a July weekend. Booked the room from my phone at the airport and was checked in 25 minutes later.
Great food and live entertainment in the Derby Room and then very high quality of amateurs in the 11pm karaoke.
Lots of antique, vintage clothing, art galleries, bars, restaurants and coffee shops within easy walking distance.
Hotel and serving staff were all excellent.
Room was small but nicely decorated.
Not recommended for light sleepers, unless you go to bed late.
Great value and highly recommend based on our experience.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

Immediately upon opening the door, my eyes met a tall stack of antique suitcases that rested in the far corner of the room. There weren’t only suitcases in the room, it was an entire travel-lovers dream world.

The curtains and the lampshades were decorated with maps and old postage stamp prints. I wished that I could take all of the decor and mimic it in my own bedroom at home.

In the bathroom, a stack of hand written post cards dangled on a long chain. Each one had a different message on it, and came from different locations.

Inside one of the bedside tables, was an antique radio that played audio postcards of old guests of the hotel. Just as I thought that the room couldn’t get any cooler, I found out that the suitcases served as more than a decorative corner piece.

The bottom case swung open to reveal a TV, and one of the smaller cases on top popped down to show a DVD player.

Not only was it the best themed room I had ever been in, but it was comfortable and multifunctional.

The Gladstone houses 37 unique art designed rooms. I would highly recommend not only the Gladstone Hotel, but this particular room to any traveler coming to Toronto.

Don’t forget to explore the rest of the hotel. To get to your room, you should take the fully restored hand-operated Victorian elevator from 1904, (one of the last in Toronto!). This will also provide access to the main floor where you can eat at one of the restaurants/bars, or simply relax in one of the many seating areas.

Room tip: Get the travel themed room!
Date of stay: June 2012
3  Thank seattlestravels
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I ended up at the Gladstone for a business trip because I wanted to be close to the Exhibition Grounds and my usual downtown hotels were either booked up or really expensive. This hotel doesn't cater to business travellers - no business centre, fitness facility is a few blocks away, no room service and the cafe doesn't open until 7am for breakfast.

That said, it's a unique hotel with a great vibe and amazingly friendly staff. Plus a hand operated elevator and crazy room decor. I probably wouldn't return on a business trip, but would definitely stay here as a tourist in Toronto. While my room (317) was small, it had nice linens and toiletries. Unfortunately the air conditioning was broken the day I arrived, so I sweated through the night (room was 93F by the time I left in the morning). Thankfully this was fixed while I was out the next day. I would suggest bringing earplugs - I was there on a Friday and Saturday night when there were DJs, karaoke and a wedding. Being an old building, the sound does travel through the floors and walls.

I had dinner & drinks in the Melody Bar - really nice being by the open windows at the front. Service was good, food was delicious and wine list was interesting. I had a drink & a snack in the Cafe one evening. You must try the beet juice with vodka (can't remember the name of the drink) - it sounds weird but it is really refreshing. Also had a quick breakfast in the Melody Bar one day.

This was a very different hotel and neighbourhood from where I usually stay in Toronto. I really enjoyed the Gladstone and would recommend it to others.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2012

What a great hotel, friendly staff, cool rooms, awesome neighbourhood!!!! Only downside was the noise at night, but we didn't care too much.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Probably one of the most unique places I've stayed in a while.
Very busy, bustling part of Toronto with heavy traffic throughout the evening.
Our room was carefully chosen online and we were not disappointed upon arrival.
Super uber cool decor for the hipster crowd with cash!
I'd go back in a heartbeat and fabulous areas for amazing photos!

Room tip: check it out online first to find the rooms you'll like the most! If you want to go to bed @ 9:00 p.m. stay elsewhere as you most likely won't enjoy it here
Date of stay: June 2012