“Wonderful ”

Ranked #16 of 556 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: With a collection of more than 90,000 works of art, the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) is among the largest and most distinguished art museums in North America. An international landmark, the AGO is also one of Canada’s most innovative cultural destinations. Highlights of the Gallery’s world-class collection include iconic Canadian and Inuit works, along with European and contemporary art – all on view in a spectacular building transformed by renowned Toronto-born architect Frank Gehry. After spending time with the AGO’s vast collection, be sure to enjoy a meal or glass of wine at the Gallery’s award-winning restaurant FRANK. Visit shopAGO for a unique collection of artful gifts, one-of-a-kind jewelry, and beautiful art books.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Wonderful exhibits, lovely place to explore art from various centuries. I especially loved the world war photo section. The store is amazing too.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,813)
All reviews
in 107 reviews
"mystical"
in 94 reviews

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

I have been several times to AGO over the years and I keep on going back.

This gallery has had some excellent programming of great exhibitions. It also has a relatively good permanent collection. I particularly like the Henry Moore plaster proof for his famous sculpture.

The architecture of the building is interesting.

It has a great cafe which is located in a wooden greenhouse along the top of the building. It is a beautiful place

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Would highly recommend a visit to the AGO, especially on a wet day in Toronto. We spent a couple of hours in this beautiful setting and could have easily spent longer. The space contains a wide range of Art and special exhibitions included global works of Art, installations and sculptures. The exhibition room of Henry Moore and the Rodin exhibits were especially impressive. Wide range of European and Canadian Art in a nice space.

Reviewed 29 April 2018

I have an AGO membership and was fortunate enough to get a ticket to see this wonderful exhibit on one of the preview nights. There are lineups and time limits as others have mentioned but overall, I thought it ran rather smoothly (the AGO employees did a great job). There was even the option to stand in a separate lineup if you were fine going as a single (which I was).

Do I wish I had of had more time in each showcase? Yes. But because I went at the last showing of the evening, they were fine with me going back and seeing some of them for a second time. Is it hard to take pictures/videos in such a short amount of time? Yes- but frankly I wish I had of put the camera down, lived in the moment, and just enjoyed...

Because of the lineups, I felt like I rushed though her other works just to ensure that I got in line. I also wish there was more information about the works themselves. I didn’t feel like I learned a lot about the artist or her medium unfortunately. I would love the opportunity to go back again but all of the tickets are sold out.

Overall a great exhibit though! Enjoy!

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 April 2018

We visited the AGO to see the Yayoi Kusama's Infinty Mirror exhibition but really the gallery is worth it's own visit.
We got there about 8:30am to get rush tickets for the exhibition, which go on sale at 10am. It was totally worth the effort as it is a truly unique and amazing exhibition by a visionary artist.
We also looked around the Group of Seven galleries and others displaying Canadian artists, which were excellent too. There was a lot we didn't get to see as we had reached saturation point by then but would definitely return.