“We Opted for "The Lounge"--Reduced Menu and Lower Prices--Great Location”

The Restaurant at the Bruce
Ranked #15 of 149 Restaurants in Stratford
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A Fine Dining Restaurant, seriving a tasting menu, or a la carte options. With adjacent Lounge, featuring more casual dining with a fun atmosphere.
Reviewed 14 July 2018

We had a pre-play dinner in "The Lounge" at The Bruce Hotel. The lounge is an adjunct to the main dining room, and there is also seating on the patio in pleasant weather. We had reservations and were admitted promptly at our designated time. The lounge was about half full and the dining room less. Our server took our drink order immediately and gave us time to peruse the menu...which was markedly different from that presented on-line. We shared a smoked trout gravalax appetizer and I had the braised lamb shank for my entree. Both were excellent. The wine by the glass selections were somewhat limited and I tried two...neither of which seemed to hit the spot. The decor of the lounge seemed a little tired...with worn tables and accessories. All-in-all, it was a pleasant experience and the location close to the Stratford Festival made it an overall winner.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

Went to my favourite restaurant in Ontario, The Restaurant at The Bruce, for a pre-theatre lunch last week. Once again, Chef Aaron and the restaurant's staff impressed me from beginning to end. My server Lisa remembered my special request - brought me a dark napkin and seated me at my favourite corner wing-chair table. I had the Chicken Panzanella from the summer menu which tasted fresh, summery and delicious. The glass of 2016 Hayes Valley Chardonnay from Monterey County, California, was so good that I'm determined to try to find a bottle or a case from the LCBO. After my entree, I tried to skip the dessert and just went for a cup of coffee. But Chef Aaron pleasantly surprised me by offering me a small dessert from their menu on the house. From the meticulous service to the excellent food and the ambiance of the beautiful dining room, The Restaurant at The Bruce should deserve a Relais et Chateau designation. The play I saw - "To Kill A Mocking Bird" - was not particularly good, but the experience at Bruce alone was worth the long drive to Stratford!

Reviewed 2 July 2018

Eight of us enjoyed the restaurant at the Bruce Hotel before seeing an evening performance in Stratford. The pace was perfect. The dining room ambiance is a dream ... elegant, quiet, calming, comfortable with high windows to provide lots of natural light. The waiter was about the best we've ever had in any restaurant experience around the world ... attentive, knowledgeable, all about great service. Hopefully he will still be there for our next visit because all of this plus excellent food and wine will bring us back.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Our group of six visited the Bruce for brunch recently. The dining room is beautiful, elegant and a bit spare, with terrific light coming from the large window on the end. The brunch menu is delightful and delicious. Several of us ordered the Brunch Poutine and enjoyed it. Service was attentive and appropriately leisurely. It was my daughter's birthday, and she received a special small dessert with fresh edible flowers. The Bruce is walking distance to the Festival Theatre and right next door to the Best Western Plus Arden Park -- well situated. An elegant experience for brunch.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

Four of us came here for lunch before a matinee performance of The Music Man.
The hotel itself is magnificent and the dining room is beautiful. Because it was a cloudy day we ate in the dining room, rather then the patio. The third choice is the lounge, opposite the bar, which is also very attractive.
We enjoyed beer from the local Shakespeare Brewing Company and a fine Pinot Grigio. Two had the burger and salad. One had the steak frites and I had the club sandwich on multigrain, instead of sourdough. Everyone enjoyed their choices.
For dessert we shared a chocolate mousse and a cheese cake.
Everything we ordered was excellent, but the service added an heir of elegance
I havn't enjoyed in a long time. We will definitely return. The total bill, with a healthy tip,
was $200 and well worth it. We left our car in the parking lot and walked the 5 minutes along a back walk to the Festival Theatre.