“More of the same old same old”

House of Greek Ottawa
Ranked #2,116 of 2,916 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Greek, Afghani
Description: A Family Owned Restaurant! From the Prime Minister to the neighborhood party, our family recipes are executed with utmost care. Voted the Top Greek Restaurant in 2014, we work hard to provide you with new, appetizing flavors for you to sink your teeth into. Download the House of Greek Mobile App to enjoy convenient mobile ordering and exclusive rewards! * Convenient mobile ordering, payment and delivery * Exclusive mobile incentives * Special Announcements * Collect Loyalty Points * Review Us and Share with your friends! * Available for Apple and Android devices We’ll Cater All Your Special Events! For 20 people or more, just 8 hours notice (short notice is welcome). All our food is prepared fresh daily then cooked to order. No frozen, pre-cooked or microwave foods are used.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had the urge for souvlaki the other day and this place just happens to be on the drive home.

While the souvlaki, pilaf and potatoes were passable (the beef was a bit chewing, the chicken nice & tender) the salad was definitely above average. We got an order of dolmades as an appetizer and I suspect that they're buying them pre-packaged, the portion was generous but again they were pretty much the same as store bought.

It was convenient and not too expensive but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

So don't work this area much so thought I give it try. I walked inside and I was kind of hesitate the place was empty ( although it was before noon) and the place looks rough. So the lunch menu and there was the sandwich and the platter option, asked what the platter came with answer was potato, rice , drink and salad. So went with lamb gyro platter. Overall decent lamb gyro was definitely tasty and spiced right. Rice was a big serving was good but could be cooked with some spice. The salad was fresh and fair size but the dressing provided was blah, if there is a flavored olive oil option I would do that next time. The Potatoes were very good but come in 2 or 3 big chunks which can be awkward to eat. However there is one big issue. This place needs a real good cleaning both the table area and very much so the kitchen. If you are a germ a phob don't go inside.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Don't bother! After waiting 1 hour and 17 minutes for their delivery to arrive (55 minutes delivery was advised when ordering), I called and they refused to cancel/refund the order. Food eventually arrived 1 hour and 55 minutes after I placed the order. Can't say anything about the food since I refused the delivery at the door but the customer service is APPALLING!!

Reviewed 16 December 2017

I decided to drop in on a Thursday evening. Was quite surprised it was not a solely Greek menu. They also offered Sharwarma, Pizza...etc., so why the name "House of Greek"?

I stood at the counter looking around the back prepping and cooking area. I noted there was a big bin of approximately 50 healthy looking chicken breasts on the counter...he was chopping up chicken...I guess. The back kitchen looked no bigger than 10x10 feet. They had a pizza oven, and a grill. Very little counter top area. It did not look clean at all. Apprehensively I said hello to get his attention. He greeted me nicely and took my order.

I ordered a Chicken Souvlaki Platter at $12.99....cant remember if it came with a drink.
He proceeded to work, I had a seat at a dirty wood table and looked for another cleaner table to sit at. I scanned the menu once more, noticed a chicken brochette platter for $16.99 incl. drink and thought over my decision on the souvlaki...then decided I wanted the marinated chicken.

After 5-10 I decided to use the washroom...I walked in and checked the lock...turned around and the toilet had feces in it, the toilet seat had urine on it and the sink was extremely dirty! I have seen these types of washrooms before at car mechanic shops and was shocked to see it at a sit in restaurant!!!! Needless to say, I did not use the facilities.

I returned to my dirty little wooden table and looked around some more. I noticed letters framed on the wall from the city of Ottawa thanking the House of Greek for providing them with great food and another from the members of parliament I think. Still looking around I saw that the emergency exit had a mop in a bucket, a high chair, and cases of drinks towered 4 feet high in front/nearby partially blocking it. There was floor to ceiling boxes of rice stacked in the corner near the ordering desk. The tile floor was dirty but thought it was understandable since it is winter.

I got up and paid for my platter because now I wanted out...I was disgusted by the bathroom and filthiness and second guessed my decision to stop here. While at the counter, a second person walked in and went to the back kitchen. she took off his coat and was wearing a dirty white House of Greek T-shirt. The co-worker told him there was a pizza order. I don't know if he washed his hands, but he took out some pizza dough and started flattening it out on a pizza pan at a tiny counter area. He broke off the access and stuffed it in a hole that was overfilled with garbage. I was then handed a filthy grimy interact machine to pay for my food and charged over $18.00??? I didn't even ask why at his point the extra 2-3 dollars was not worth another minute in there...I also didn't even ask if my platter included a drink...I left.

All the way home I couldn't get the vision of their toilet out of my mind. I had lost my appetite. I open the container and it revealed rice with corn niblets, mushroom bits, and carrot bits in it...I took a mouthful and spit it out...was that cumin I tasted???
I took a piece of chicken off my skewer and put it in my mouth. No flavor, no marinade, and undercooked!!! Well, placing the chicken aside I cut through the slice of potato...it was dry, and old tasting....so I ate the salad and tossed everything in the garbage!!!

House of Greek you were a tremendous disappointment & why would you go under the name of Greek food if you cannot prepare it? Telling all my friends and colleagues you should be shut down. Also debating if I should call the health & safety department. No I did not get sick on the raw meat, but certainly had a touch of diarrhea.

NEVER AGAIN!

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

The fish is still amazing but here's what happened next.
I put an order in for the fish. An hour later I call seeing where it is. The typical guy who always answers picks up. Tells me they are out of fish. This is after he confirmed my order on just eat. He says ohh I was going to call you. What else would you like instead? But ever since my last review he has told me twice they might be out of fish and to try the souvlaki.. so I said no big deal just send that. Another hour passes. I call he said it's just heading out the door. After 3 full hours since the order the food arrived!!!! Horrible service.. now for the souvlaki.. The chicken skewers were very small. Barely much meat at all. The seasoning on the chicken wasn't good and to top it off it was dry. Next was the dip. Which is basically the best part right? Wrong.. it was pure cream cheese.. no flavours or anything added.. very disappointing experience and after all the bs I just won't be ordering from here again. Please step it up thought you were better than this.
J

1  Thank TheHonestTravella
Scott W, Public Relations Manager at House of Greek Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Hello Revised,

I'm very happy to hear you love our fish and chips but I'm very sorry to read that you were not happy with your recent order. At House of Greek, we pride ourselves on the quality and value of our food.

Hope you will give House of Greek another try.

Scott