“Great Steaks”
Review of 529 Wellington

529 Wellington
Reserve with OpenTable
529 Wellington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 1,742 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Price range: US$40 - US$60
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Academy Road
Transit: Bus Routes #20 & #29 (which stop @ Academy & Wellington). The #99 also stops along Wellington further East @ Kingsway.
Description: Experience the splendour of 529 Wellington, Winnipeg's Premier Steakhouse. The beautifully restored historic mansion offers intimate dining in 8 elegantly appointed rooms, as well as a beautiful 2-tiered riverside terrace for alfresco dining. 529 serves exclusively Prime Beef, the best available in Canada, as well as exotic fresh fish & seafood. The restaurant is also home of Manitoba's highest rated wine list, Wine Spectator Magazine's "Best of Award of Excellence".
Reviewed 3 May 2018

Our concierge recommended this restaurant and we were very glad he did. 529 is located in a 100 year old mansion on Winnipeg's most prestigious street. The setting for a restaurant is wonderful with a number of smaller rooms that hold 5 or 6 tables each. The service is professional and the focus is on the customer. The menu has a large selection of beef as well as fish and seafood. If you have not been to 529 before the waiter will bring around a platter of raw meat to explain the various cuts available. A bit unusual, but sensible all at the same time. The service is amazing, the food is outstanding and the atmosphere of the old Mason's house is truly unique!

2  Thank bansema777

Reviewed 28 April 2018

We dined there on Wednesday evening. I've been there for lunch on several occasions and this was my first dinner experience. The atmosphere is beautiful.Lots of dark wood and stately.

We shared some garlic cheese bread, which was very soggy and its texture was more cheese sauce than cheese, but it was tasty. Next, I had the beefsteak tomato salad, which is just slices of large tomatoes alternating with slices of red onion, drizzled with ranch dressing and crumbled blue cheese. Tomatoes are not in season, so they had no taste, dressing was meh at best. It was a large portion though. If I go back, I would order something else. No one else commented on their salads, so I have no idea if they enjoyed them.

My entree was rib steak, 10 oz and very thin, less than 1/2" thick, but cooked how I ordered it. It was super tasty, but very very very gristly. That shocked me, since their meat is so expensive and supposed to be the highest grade and quality. My husband had tenderloin and said his was outstanding. The sides were delicious. We had asparagus, which were perfectly cooked, snap peas and wild mushrooms, though I highly doubt those were wild; they looked liked sliced portabella mushroom. The men in my group ordered dessert, both pecan pie, and neither liked it at all; I did not try it. The biggest surprise I encountered was that not once did the waiter ask how are meals were. Perhaps they assume it is outstanding.

I'd go back, but try a different salad and most definitely, a different cut of beef.

Reviewed 23 April 2018

I know how to cook, so I like to go to restaurants for new ideas or preparation techniques. None to be had here. The locals I went with thought it is a great place. meh...

Upon arrival the hostess seemed stunned. "Yup, we have a reservation for supper".
The waiter had the personality of a cardboard cut-out. By default, all the waiters have the same patter about the meat offered at this restaurant. They all bring around a tray with the various raw cuts displayed (oh, so that is what a raw steak looks like). Then they describe why it will be so expensive. He came around during the meal, but not as often as he should. He did give a good history about the house in which the restaurant is located, when asked.

They had a large wine list but the items were extremely marked-up. Fine to mark-up, but that was ridiculous. They offered $3000+ bottles but there were many excellent labels at more reasonable prices missing. Had a cocktail instead, again boring cocktail list. Their special coffee drink was okay, but it was a forced combination of flavours.

For appetizers, we had the mountain of onion rings (tasty), lobster bisque - horrible. Could have been table-side prepared but was not. Looked and tasted like it had been scorched. They had a caeser salad station cart but didn't use it. It was a very plain salad with what seemed to be bottled dressing.

I had lamb chops which were nice enough quailty (although slightly athletic). They were described as herb encrusted. I could count the number of actual herb flakes with two hands. The other people in my group had fillet (decent) and seafood combo with steak (very good). The sides were a la carte, good quality but boring.

Desert was standard.

Safe place to take a business client, or... but go elsewhere for more style, creativity and better value.

1  Thank pattypotato1
Reviewed 22 April 2018

Spent time with my sister over this past week celebrating her 60th birthday. She treated me to a lunch on the day I was to return to Edmonton and it was fabulous! The staff were extremely attentive and provided well informed menu information. We came to know the history about the Ashton family and how the Shriner's eventually purchased the property. It has been wonderfully maintained/restored and features original hardwood floors, stained glass windows, radiator lined walls, and historic memorabilia. The food was outstanding and service impeccable! If you are a beef eater you must experience their tenderloin. Cooked to perfection and wonderfully seasoned! We did not feel rushed to complete our meals and were encouraged to stay and explore this home.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

You don't have to dress up. The menu seems intimidating, but there are deals. The steak is perfect. The burgers are awesome. The chicken fingers are big and tasty. The desserts are dreamy. Even if you don't have cash to blow, just go there for coffee and dessert. Comfortable, interesting and an awesome waiter make it a wonderful time! Go explore this place cuz you deserve it! I'm going back soon!