“Architectural Masterpiece - Happy Hour ???”
Review of Boom & Batten

Boom & Batten
Get food delivered
Ranked #188 of 1,094 Restaurants in Victoria
Price range: US$12 - US$43
Neighbourhood: Victoria West
Description: Tasty indulgence, west coast favourites. Dine in, takeout and delivery available. Pizzas, salads, wraps and sandwiches available after 11 am. Vegan and gluten free items available. Gift cards online.
Reviewed 23 November 2020

The restaurant is incredibly beautiful and the location is perfection.
The staff and Covid practices were excellent.
But Happy Hour was a Disappointment.
This was our first visit to the restaurant but usually the Happy Hour selection of food is from the regular menu sometimes with a few additional items added and the price discounted a bit to encourage people to come to the restaurant in the slow hours between lunch and dinner - or late in the evening. Now we have not been to the restaurant before so we don't know about their portion sizes but when our first two appetizers arrived we were shocked at the small size. The Tuna Takaki had only 3 paper thin pieces of tuna and a tiny pile of daikon & radish and the dressing was tasteless. and although the potato croquettes were very tasty there was only three very small croquettes. If this is the same portion as on the regular menu I would be shocked. So we ordered two more dishes - The meatballs were an excellent portion and very tasty but the grilled sourdough was so dry it was like cardboard. Then I misunderstood our waiter and ordered the wrong fries thinking I was going to get house made fries which I expect from a high end restaurant and instead got the frozen French fries which tasted like fries from a fast food restaurant. Perhaps we just ordered the wrong items but we did expect more from a restaurant of this caliber. This restaurant is like a gem on the water and the quality of the food should match.

Date of visit: November 2020
Write a reviewReviews (111)

Reviewed 3 November 2020

This was my first visit to what appears to be a popular place. It is in a very good location with water views. The restaurant is very bright and pleasant. I am not a fan of modern, but I did like the interior.
I ordered the half eggs benedict, very tasty, the green salad it came with had a very tasty dressing on it. Coffee good, strong, and was served in a cup and saucer. I prefer a mug personally but it was fine.
Our server #24! Was not the warmest of individuals, didn't smile once, even though he wore a mask you can tell if people smile. His response to our request regarding the music was indifferent, see message to restaurant.

Date of visit: November 2020
Reviewed 27 October 2020 via mobile

One of the few places you can enjoy a meal on the water in Victoria. Our family sampled a number of the happy hour and regular menu entrees. Some of the portions were small but big on richness and flavour.

Date of visit: October 2020
Reviewed 25 October 2020

Wish I could give a better review but there’s a lot of competition in Victoria for 4-5 star restaurants and this one doesn’t make the cut. $22 burger was tiny. Worst cobb salad I’ve had. Topped the evening off with being asked to leave because our table was reserved for the next guests, even though there were 5 empty tables around us. We will try other restaurants before coming back here again.

Date of visit: October 2020
Reviewed 23 September 2020

Had lunch at 2 PM today, the patio was beautiful, great views and COVID-19 friendly with appropriate distancing of tables and staff wearing very stylish face shields! Had the humbolt squid. The squid was grilled beautifully. I found the harissa yogurt overpowered the squid however. I would prefer this served as a fresh plate only with the veggies etc, and skip the harissa yogurt. My guest had a pizza which was very tasty, nice cruse. Service was impeccable

Date of visit: September 2020