“Wonderful to see such history retained”

Rouse Hill House & Farm
More attraction details
Owner description: Filled with an assortment of belongings and treasures, this house and farm chronicles the changing fortunes of six generations of the one family. You can only visit the house and farm in a guided tour. Our tours last for about 45-minutes and run at 11am and 2pm, Wednesday to Friday. On weekends, our general tours are at 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm with a Highlights Tour at 3pm. We have a people mover for visitors with low mobility. We are open daily during NSW school holidays.
Reviewed 8 December 2017

A grand old estate so different to the thriving town that has grown up nearby. So much history as it was and fascinating to see the differences in housing to the nearby town centre.

All reviews
"australia"
"centre"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Was in big group of 40 on tour. Could easily have spent all day here. Very interesting tour could have been in much more detail,but shows a wealthy early farm and how it operated. Unfortunately we didn't get in the house, maybe next time...

1  Thank GregMM
Reviewed 11 December 2016

We visited on a Sunday, when nothing special or school holiday activities were happening. This means that you get a standard experience which was very good. We were part of a guided tour, which was good and very informative. The house and farm is kept as it was when the last family member left, therefore highlighting Australian History, farming and family life changed through the generations.

Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

Another fantastic heritage experience from the folks that bring you Elizabeth Bay House, Elizabeth Farm and Vaucluse House, among others.

The Farm animal tour was pretty simple, as the cows are currently not able to be visited, but a great guide for the children and they really enjoyed pushing the wheelbarrows and feeding the horses and chickens. We followed this with a fascinating visit to the house. It is unrestored and offers an amazing glimpse into real life. With a petrified rat stuck in a ceiling hole, a discarded anorak and a spookily damaged ceiling, this place feels like the setting to an old Skool spooky movie. It is also very pretty and again our friendly guide was full of interesting bits of information. He also took us to the stable blocks which are worth a peek inside.

Finally we visited the school house. Amazingly this was a functioning school up until 2003. It is not a beautifully replicated Victorian school room. And our guide, Miss Fox was great as the teacher. This was also very interesting and insightful and involved a lot of hands on involvement.

This is a true gem in the North West region. Although there is no onsite tearoom, they do provide complimentary tea and coffee.

Fantastic. Top notch history, nostalgia and fuel for active imaginations.

2  Thank bartyjy
See more reviews
Reviewed 24 August 2016

I’d would have bragged about once been a local until I couldn’t find it. The address - 356 Annangrove Road - is actually off Windsor Road heading towards Windsor from Castle Hill and not on the Annangrove Road coming off Kenthurst Road. The other thing is that the opening times – and check their website before you go because they change – mean they are the ONLY times you can see the house. Unlike, say Vaucluse House or Elizabeth Farm, you can only see inside with a guide. That out of the way, let me say that it is fabulous and absolutely worth the effort. I dragged a friend along and, having missed the first guided tour, we had to go to a local pub for lunch until we caught the second tour.
For someone like me who is researching – and loving – colonial Australian homes this was such a delight to see. It is a big property and thankfully one of The Sydney Living Museum houses. The outside properties – particularly the stables – almost had me trembling with delight. The inside has been lived in by generations of people and so all their ‘ornaments’ are crowded into the living spaces and, to my immense disappointment, tourists are not allowed upstairs to see the bedrooms.
We arrived not long after Sydney had a lot of rain and the ceiling of the downstairs hall was drooping and mouldy. The mission of the Sydney Living Museum’s Trust is to preserve the original structures as much as possible and only replace any of the structure when the property is threatened with disintegration. It is a matter of maintaining the original integrity of the properties. I am no sort of architect or builder or even historian so I have no right to comment except to say the condition of the ceiling in Rouse Hill House really saddened me. I wonder how it is in such a poor state – and the bedrooms out of bounds – when Elizabeth Farm, Vaucluse House and Elizabeth Bay House and even Dundullimall Homestead in Dubbo are in such better nick.
Still, I loved it and if, like me, you hanker for colonial architecture and an insight into life in Australia in those times, or if you are ‘in the neighbourhood’, I thoroughly and wholeheartedly recommend Rouse Hill House and Farm. If you are not a member it is only $8.00 entry and there is a charming and informative video in the reception area.

1  Thank Therese N