5,864 results
All reviews yucatan building seafood maya tropical specialty restaurants other resorts mini golf spring breakers great resort playa del carmen club premium beach grills japanese restaurant a la cartes palm trees kids water park steak beach resort
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is our second time traveling to the resort. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The pools seem endless. The beach is breathtaking. A little rocky in spots but not a deal breaker by any means and I am a beach person. Customer service is excellent. Our breakfast and sometimes lunch waiter was Alfredo Bacab. He was amazing!!! He remembered all of our preferences and even when we were checking out. Ask for him if you go. Also, don't miss out on the Italian Restaurant. Wonderful service and food. 4 of us went to the spa and had a wonderful experience. The hydrotherapy with the massage was over the top. Miriam was my massage therapist and my friend had Jazmine. Both allowed us to have a relaxing experience.

Room Tip: There are rooms with plunge pools. My stays have been in the standard rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
BMAYAFASEII, Propietario at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear, Amy L

Thank you for your insights following your recent visit. We always look for ways to improve and your comments are crucial to our future success
And we are thrilled to read your praising comments about our staff as we strive to provide our guests with a caring and personalized service and we lay high value on our personnel being guest orientated and welcoming at all times.
Thank you once again for making us your choice hotel and for your constructive critics, we certaily look forward to serving you again and to have the opportunity to exceed you expectations in a not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Beautiful hotel beach and pools.
Rooms average but smell of damp.
Food excellent.
Wifi charges very expensive.
Prices in spa extortinate wash and blow 85 dollars but Dayanna was lovely who done my hair very professional.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pathfinder795816

Dear, Pathfinder795816

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed there the last week of August (2018)
The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are OK. Food is good and the resort is quite nice overall.
However, I would mention three negatives:
1 - the beach is rocky and there is very little sand on the surface only.
2 - there are no umbrellas on the beach. The palms don't create enough shades and you have to move around to follow the shades all the time.
3 - the wifi is not free, but don't buy it. It's slow and doesn't work all the time.
Otherwise a good experience

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Dear, ermaxhyheri

In Barceló we strongly believe that there is always room for improvement and your comments will assist our team in their continuous efforts aimed at meeting our guests' expectations, therefore we greatly appreciate the time you took out of your day to share your constructive critics

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Very accommodating. Lots of pools, and just a short walk to the beach away. Buffets had lots of choices and food was great. The staff was extremely friendly. Everything was clean, from the rooms, to the hallways, to the reception area.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Barcelo Hotels & Resorts

Dear, Natalia L

Thank you very much for leaving these wonderful comments on Tripadvisor, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay among us.

Best Regards
The Management of Barcelo

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My hubby, myself and our 7 year old son decided to try the Barcelo Maya Tropical resort in Cancun, Mexico at the end of August, just before school started. It was all our first time in Mexico, and it was awesome! Even though it was hurricane season, we had no problems with weather. It was always sunny there with only a 5 minute downpour on the second day we were there, and quite hot (around 35 degrees most days). When it rains in Mexico it rains for a few minutes hard, and then disappears as quickly as it appears. So we had very good luck weather-wise :)

Here's my low-down on our time at the Barcelo:

Once we arrived at the Cancun airport there was a little confusion at first in finding our transport to our hotel. Once we did find our guy, (we were with BD Travel since we used Air Canada), it was smooth sailing then. He was very funny and informative (his name was Emmanuel I believe), and gave us some very useful advice. However, we had no idea that we were THAT far from the airport (a little over an hour!!). But that wasn't anyone's fault, it was just a very long day.

If I have any complaints about this resort (there aren't many), it has to be the Check-in process. Not enough staff, and way too slow. We waited a good 20-25 minutes before getting served!! Friendly enough, but just too slow.

Rooms & Complex Itself: Very very big, but extremely clean and maintained. Our room was quite large (Yucatan section), with a king bed and a twin bed for our son. Well ventilated and ac worked well. Pretty quiet despite the night show going on. Staff are polite and friendly. The resort is beautiful. Lots of tropical plant life and even an Iguana or two here and there, and lots of beautiful birds. *Tip* Be sure to get the code to the room safe at the lobby when you check-in, as this will give you peace of mind with your personal belongings that need to be kept away from prying eyes (like passports, credit cards, jewelry and money, etc).

Pools & Water Park(s): Honestly, my son couldn't get enough of the water park in our part of the Tropical complex. It was fantastic! You don't even need to go to the other water park in the Caribe complex (where you have to pay extra along with a surfing pool/ride which is also extra), because the free one is just as fun. All the pools are wonderful, but the Tropical just seems more interesting with the fountains and bubble pools.

Beach(es): Okay if I;m being honest, it's not the best beach I've ever been to, and if you're a beach snob you'll definitely not enjoy the beach like you would at other places in the Caribbean. At the time we went (late August), there was an excess amount of seaweed, some days there was more of it than other days depending on the wave action. Where we were located was the best part of the beach (Tropical Complex beach). We went to the other parts of the beach and it wasn't as nice. The sand is okay, but not as refined as other countries like DR or Cuba, but then again, what do you expect for man made beaches? It gets quite rocky in places too, so you have to find pockets (which there are many) of clear spots. Usually in the clear spots (no rocks) you can see fish swimming around you, which was really cool. Snorkeling is amazing at this resort and in Mexico in general. You can even dive off the peer nearby and swim with the fish too.

Bars & Buffets: Drinks are NOT watered down!! Awesome drinks!! You soon discover who your favourite bartender(s) are and who to avoid, as not all are great. The Buffets are all good, with excellent variety. Our favourite and recommended buffet is the one in the Mall (Caribe buffet), as it has the best variety we have ever seen in a buffet...we're talking fresh lobster tails and jumbo shrimp galore! All buffets in each part of the complex have a mini buffet for the kids, with popular items that kids love to typically eat. Love love the guacomole!! Custom omelette at egg station at breakfast time was always delicious! Oh, and don't worry about dairy...it's quite safe! No problems on that front (my hubby has a sensitive digestion so that should tell you how good the food is). Ice cream is very different in Mexico...almost like frozen yogurt or gelato, not for everyone, but again great variety of flavours. Desserts galore!! Amazing cheesecakes and selection of tropical fruit. Service is awesome everywhere! My suggestion is to try all the buffets in every part of the resort, and see how they differ. This way you also get a change of scenery as well. During the day when you're by the pool or water park, it's great to go to the Palmeras Grill because you don't need to dress up, just put a t-shirt or sundress over your swimsuit and you're good to go.

A La Carte Restaurants: We went to 5 of them (even though technically it was supposed to be 4)!

Honestly, our favourite was The Capri (Italian), it was our first A la Carte that we tried and it was a funny but a great experience nonetheless. We didn't know we had to bring the restaurant voucher with us, so we thought we'd just reserve for the next night. The lady looked at her reservation list, then spoke with her manager and he took one look at us and smiled, and whammo we got granted access to dine that night, at that moment LOL!! Behind her booth she had a spare dress pants (that ironically fit my hubby), and we went in! Now that's service! And it just got better afterwards...The lamb chops were to die for!! The Osso Bucco melted in your mouth! The service was excellent and extremely accommodating! Definitely a 5 star quality restaurant! And because we didn't have our voucher with us, we still had our 4 vouchers left!!

The Kyoto (Japanese): Located at the Colonial part of resort. Delicious food and very entertaining chef that cooks everything in front of you. My son enjoyed the chef's humour, and it was much appreciated to keep him occupied while waiting for food. Beautiful decor and again friendly service. A definite must-see/do experience!

The Santa Fe (Steakhouse): Loved loved their appetizers! Omg their mash potato is so good I wanted the whole plate just packed with it lol. Lamb was excellent (although not as good as the Capri's) and my hubby's steak was awesome. Great service but not as good as the first two.

La Trattoria (Pizza & Pasta): Located in the Mall. It was good, but honestly, nothing special. Or maybe we just got so spoiled with the first restaurant we went to, that this one didn't seem like much lol. The service was OK.

Marenostrum (Seafood): Located in the Colonial part of the resort. Excellent food and service, and beautiful decor. Another 5 star quality restaurant! Lobster was awesome!!

As a side note for families with kids: the kid's menu is the same for all A La Carte restaurants (with the exception of the Japanese restaurants). So if you want your child to experience something different or have a very picky eater on your hands, you may want to keep that in mind when selecting restaurants.

Entertainment: Every night there's a live show that runs pretty late (till 11pm). Which we honestly never went to because of our young son and we just were too tired to stick around for that. However, we did hear it from our room and it sounded great. There is bowling and mini-putt (in the Mall). Bowling is for teenagers and adults since the bowling balls are the big heavy type. However, next to the bowling alley there is a little arcade that is fun for the younger kids. For $12 (American) your child can play quite a few games, win tokens and then get a prize. Mini putt was great, and free during the day till 7pm. My suggestion is to go early in the morning before it gets too hot. A bonus with this resort is having a free dolphin show! Near the beach area there is a place where you can swim and touch dolphins (for a price of course), but it's still nice for the kids to see real live dolphins. Some people find it offensive to have these beautiful caring creatures in captivity, but as stated by the conservationists on site, many of these dolphins are orphans that were saved and in protection from dangers such as predators, fishermen, and pollutants. Mexico is one country that has in recent years clamped down on its environmental laws...they're all about protecting their oceans, protecting plant and animal life now, and you really see this effort on this resort. This is why you will not see any straws on the resort, as in the past many straws would get stuck in turtles and other sea-life. Quite disturbing. Also, do not throw toilet paper in the toilet, instead it goes in the trash. Takes some getting used to, but after a few days you get the hang of it.

Kids Club: Awesome service!! If you have kids, use it!! My son had a great time while he was with them, we would only have him an hour or two max here and there during our week vacation. The educators are super friendly and very responsible. They had lots of activities for the kids to do, so it was a very useful resource for us parents who honestly liked the break from time to time from our son. And for those parents who are concerned about how their special needs kid would be treated in that club, well they'd be just fine. My son is Autistic and the staff and he got along swimmingly. The kids club is definitely a big bonus, so I definitely recommend using it!

Wi-Fi Access: Ohy, wasn't too impressed to find out that wi-fi was NOT included in our deal, but if we wanted to we could have paid for it (we opted not to). Instead, we went to the Mall area where wi-fi is free during the day till 3pm I believe. We found out at guest services that wi-fi service would be free only on our second visit to the Barcelo. Nice catch eh? Considering the price we paid for our package, they could have included that. This was my only other complaint about the resort (besides the check-in as I mentioned earlier).

Security: At first my hubby and I were not that keen on going to Mexico, because we had heard a lot about trouble with violence and killing of tourists. But a good friend of mine is a frequent traveler to Mexico and had reassured me that what we heard was a gross exaggeration of the truth. The fact of the matter, is if you're not into the drug scene, and you stay on the resort or with your guide outside of the resort, then you will be safe. I went alone, at night, around the resort itself, shopping in the stores and NEVER felt unsafe. Besides the fact that there are lots of people around, there's also tons of staff about doing their thing too. I can say this: outside the resort(s) you'll see a huge police presence (and I'm talking about guys carrying machine guns in big jeeps kind of thing), barbed electrical wire surrounding many resorts and even businesses, a huge military presence at the airport (again with weapons and gear in plain sight) with sniffer dogs and the whole get-up. On the resort? Security guards are present, but make themselves scarce or there aren't many. In my opinion, for the size of the resort I was surprised that they didn't have more. The only concern that I had was that some of the locals or fellow Mexicans at the resort(s) get very rowdy, cannot control their booze intake, and get quite loud in the middle of the night when everyone else is asleep. Twice I gotten woken up by loud drunken arguments on our floor, but then a few moments later security showed up and shut that whole thing down. So they are there, but I think it could be a bit better. But for anyone who thinks Mexico is unsafe, they can rest assured it's quite the opposite. :)

Advice: Bring water shoes, lots of sun block, a life jacket for your child if they don't know how to swim (as rental of one at the resort is pricey or not available); tip the cleaning lady about $5-10 American a day (as they do not earn much and work the hardest to earn their keep). If you like you can tip the waiters/waitresses/cooks at the buffets or restaurants, but it isn't necessary. Get a waterproof case for your cell phone to take pictures on the beach and in the water - so cool!! Go on an excursion if you can afford it!! We went to Cozumel & A Tequila tasting event to end the excursion. My son had a blast!! First a bus to get to the ferry, then the ferry ride to the island of Cozumel, then another bus ride to our destination, then our first ever experience in snorkeling, then eating at a local buffet on the beach, then a really fun ride in a jeep that my hubby drove (my son's favourite part of the excursion lol), then swimming in crystal clear water with fish and white smooth sand (Cozumel is not man made I believe, so that's why there is a difference in beach/sand quality), and then the Tequila tasting at a distillery. Our tour guides Fernando & Monty were hilarious and extremely friendly, and very sweet with our son. They were very informative and made our excursion all the more enjoyable. A definite must-see/do if you visit Mexico is see Cozumel!

My warning to people is that Mexico is not cheap. In fact, it's quite a rip-off, especially compared to other Caribbean countries. Be prudent with your money, as many of the souvenirs are not genuine and from China. Go to a smaller gift shop/stall in the market place on the resort where things are made locally, and that will be authentic. You can use Pesos (local currency) or American dollars, either way it doesn't make a difference as everything is expensive. Even the excursions are crazy expensive (we paid $315 American for all 3 of us-and that was one of the cheaper trips lol). It is worth the money though when it comes to the excursions, well at least it was for ours. We had a blast!

We definitely will come back to Mexico, and come back to this resort. We met lots of travelers from other resorts in our area (Maya Riviera), and their experiences paled in comparison to the Barcelo Maya Tropical (especially in regards to the variety of food each day at the buffets, and water parks for the kids). I mean they even have a disco/club for teenagers on the resort! It's a fantastic place for everyone in the family, with so much to do on the resort that honestly you could stay there without doing any excursions and you'd be entertained the whole time anyway. The food is fantastic, with something for everyone to enjoy. I mean you know a place is good when your kid keeps asking, "When are we going back to Mexico and to the Barcelo?" LOL I know how he feels, we already miss it too! Until next time mi amigos! :)

Room Tip: Get a room on top floor, away from live show area.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Jwyce

Dear, Jwyce

We would like to express our gratitude for the comments you made about your recent visit. They help us to understand how our guests experience their stay with us. It is always our goal to achieve maximum customer satisfaction and we are delighted to hear that your holiday at Barceló Tropical was an enjoyable one. We continuously strive to deliver high standards and to ensure that all our guests leave with beautiful vacation memories.
Once more we thank you for choosing our hotel for your holiday and very much look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Best Regards