21 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.comUS$530
TravelocityUS$530
TraveluroUS$577
9,937 results
All reviews seafood a la carte restaurants air transat mini golf other resorts great resort bowling alley kids club tropical pool family vacation santa fe japanese restaurant beach caribe playa del carmen kids pool palm trees tennis courts
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 May 2022 via mobile

My twin boys are 22 months old. They wake up at 6-7am and want to go play outside almost immediately and they do it all day with a nap and short meal breaks. To my sad surprise it turned out that kids's club wont let me and my husband inside to play with my kids and hide away from steaming heat. The cute playground is open only when kid's club is open, so no access at 8 am or 6pm.
Mind you that this is the time we'd go with our kids to a playground since there is not much shade and we got all sweaty when being there today from 9 till 9:30, after that we wanted to go inside the club to play with our babies but were not allowed. Like WHAT? Where should I take my kids to hide from the heat and burning sun? I am regreting that I have not picked Bahia or Princess Family. This is so unthoughtful of Barcelo! It seems Barcelo doesn't like kids under 4, neither their parents. Just 6 months ago we stayed at Bahia Tulum and loved every moment of our three week vacation, we could access their new kids playground, pool, splashpad, play and draw at kids club any time. Playground is accessible 24/7. At Barcelo it's only 9am till 5pm.
The only fun for smaller kids is the kids swimming pool. My boys love it, so we spend most of the day there with some visits to the ocean.

At the arrival we had to wait for 1 hr between 2 and 3 pm again during the hottest day time to be checked in in the room that had terrible smell of mould? When asked for priority we were rejected while all people in front were adults or young adults. KIDS? No! You have to stay in line!

The food for adults is ok, there was better selection at Bahia though. There is very limited heathy food selection for our babies, so they have oatmeal for breakfast with fruits, chicken, potato and guacamole with some veggies and fruits for lunch and dinner. I wish they would make more soft steamed veggies for kids and some veggie purees with minimum salt and spices.

1  Thank katrinaryu
Barceló Colonial, Propietario at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Katrinaryu

We greatly appreciate the time you spend giving your comments about your recent experience at our hotel. At Barceló Maya Grand Resort we always strive to exceed our customers' expectations. Your feedback will help our team achieve that goal.

Thank you once again for choosing us and for your constructive criticism, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Sincerely

Reviewed 10 May 2022

This is the worst place I have ever stayed. Starting with the worst. The food is terrible. Questioned if I even wanted to let my kids eat it. We ate burgers everyday because the rest of the food is garbage. The Italian restaurant was edible but when I asked to take my leftovers back to the room I was told it was impossible. And sure enough they pulled it off the table and threw it right in the garbage. Good waste drives me crazy.
The pools are nice, the beach sucks and the rooms are 2 star. I can’t see this place open much longer as all I hear is people complaining all day and night and the staff don’t care.
Please don’t waste your money
For perspective, I normally give the benefit of the doubt.. this is really bad

4  Thank H9651MPandrewc

Dear H9651MPandrewc.

Thank you for the time you spend giving your feedback about your recent experience at our hotel. At Barcelo Maya Colonial we always strive to exceed our customers' expectations. Your feedback will help our team achieve that goal,we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Best Regards

Reviewed 5 May 2022

Let's start by saying a vacation is what you make it. If you've travelled to other resorts before, you will know that there are certain issues that may come up; difficulty reserving restaurants; towel supply; COVID restrictions, etc. If you go into a vacation with realistic expectations, you will not be disappointed.
That being said, this was our 3rd time at the Colonial. We just returned from a fantastic week (April 25 - May 2). The food was wonderful (I didn't have to cook!), the ocean was crystal clear & warm (despite the seaweed), the rooms were clean and the grounds were breathtaking. The resort is large, so be prepared to walk through their incredible gardens and walkways. I can not say enough about the beautiful grounds! Never had an issue getting chairs at the beach or pool. You may not find your ideal spot, but there were always some available. And, there will always be "those people" who reserve spots and don't show up for the entire day. Every resort has them.
We did have a hick up with our room smelling of mildew, but we asked to change and our needs were met immediately. Within an hour we were transferred to another room.
Most of the staff were incredibly warm and friendly. Those are the ones we tipped well.
All in all, we had a wonderful time and a great experience!

Room tip: Quieter rooms are near the centre of the complex. Rooms near the lobby are noisier as you can hear the highway traffic from your balcony.
Date of stay: April 2022
2  Thank CAYOCAN

Dear Cayocan

Thank you very much for leaving such wonderful comments on Tripadvisor, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Once again, we thank you for choosing our hotel Barcelo Maya Colonial for your vacation and we look forward to see you again very soon.

Sincerely

Reviewed 4 May 2022

We are a returning customer. We spent our family vacation in Barcelo Maya Colonial last year, and two weeks ago we came back with 51 guests to celebrate my step son’s wedding. The resort did a magnificent job to organize everything. Everything went according to the plan. We love Barcelo Maya Colonial so much, the food, the service, the staff is very hospitable. Their entertainment staff is the best especIally Abdiel, Laura, Pepe and Didi. These guys work so hard to make the vacation memorable. Their activities are the best, so as them. I will highly recommend this resort. Thank you!!!

1  Thank K8458NRmariamb

Dear K8458NRmariamb

First, we would like to thank you for the lovely review you shared following your recent visit to our Barceló Maya Colonial hotel and are delighted to read that we were able to match your holiday expectations and the wedding was exceptional it has been a pleasure for us to read and we look forward to serving you again in the near future

Best Regards

Reviewed 1 May 2022

Booked three days - leaving after first. All inclusive means just drinks in tiny fridge only. Food is horrible - I'm on the edge of throwing up as I type this. Staff is rude. We'll be fighting for refund. Worst stay we ever had in Mexico and we travel here often. Please don't make the mistake we made.

Date of stay: April 2022
2  Thank foundryguy1

Dear foundryguy1.

We are sincerely sorry to read that your stay was not as pleasant as it should have been and we would be very happy to welcome you again in the future, assuring you in advance of our maximum commitment to make your next vacation experience at Barceló Maya Grand Resort something unforgettable in every way.

Best regards