See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 September 2013

If you're looking for a property with a very low service level and lousy linens this is it. Take your own linens, towels and pillows because these ones looked like they've been there for decades.

The rooms are very spacious but look like if you were in the 1960's. The food in the hotel (which I don't exactly know why they call it a hotel) is not very good either and the menu is very limited. The black coffee is terrible.

The room looked clean but let me tell you this. I just left my toothpaste for a couple of hours in the bathroom and when I came back it was infested by mini ants all over the place eating the paste. They should have some fumigation more often.

I believe there were just around 5 employees in the property which is not very well designed because it rain one day and there were large ponds of water for hours along the full walkway to the rooms and large parts of the gardens were flooded as well.

Another thing is that there are no toilets near the pool then you have to walk to the restaurant with your towel or back to your room which is not pleasant.

They really have no hot water if you want to take a shower in your room and the warm water ends very fast, hence you better be quick if you want to have it kind of warm. The good part is that I took my own shampoo with me because the cheap thing they left in the shower was very depressing.

The positive things are that the pools were clean and the property is located just in front of a small souvenir's market were you can find very cheap stuff.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money by coming in here unless the property owners invest to catch up with this century.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank rzzam
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

Hola! I'm writing this review after staying 7 days in puerta del mar from the 8th of June. We had a great time in ixtapa the hotel is well located close to the main touristic area. Rooms are clean and have kitchen and a balcony. The kitchen comes very handy as it has fridge, small stove, even a blender ( I'm vegan so I drink lots of smoothies!)
The hotel is quiet not a party place, and as far as I understood June is low season so we were very few occupants in the hotel having it almost all for us:-)
Staff very friendly, nice pool, not the classic feeling of a hotel,more of staying at someone's house.
You can buy fresh coconut in the bar & have happy hour.
The only thing was not that perfect were the beds (mattress incredibly hard for the ladies in the group but... the lads were fine?! ...)so it's uncomfortable after a few days :-/ also we had some issues with mosquito bites so I recommend you to let the staff know as soon as you start having issues so that they fumigate the place at the time of cleaning the room. Ixtapa is very hot during June!
Puerta del mar is a great spot to rest and relax more cozy than a hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank ximie
Reviewed 2 April 2013

While it's not like the resort hotels that are right on the beach, Puerta del Mar was perfect for us. We made the reservation through Orbitz, and had no idea that this was a hotel of suites! It was extremely convenient to have the kitchen, and two full bathrooms was totally excessive for the two of us. Everything was clean, and the staff was incredibly friendly even though they were smack in the middle of Spring Break rush. The pools were nice, and the noise curfew was respected. We would definitely go back and bring more people along! Ah, and the beach (as well as a plaza with restaurants and stores) is a 5 minute walk away!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AventureraG
Reviewed 6 June 2012

The grounds were beautiful & we felt very comfortable there! The extremelly clean unit consisted of a spacious & well equiped kitchenette, living area, bedroom & 2 baths. The large pool with slide & swim up bar were very nice. It was close to shopping & restaurants. We were extremely pleased with the hotel & would be happy to stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BanD2008
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I can't say enough about the staff. Yes, most do not speak much English, but they are very friendly, and helpful. I have to admit I did a very bonehead thing. I left my laptop in the open-air restaurant near the pool. The wireless connection is best in the restaurant so my husband and I had been having breakfast and catching up on facebook, etc. When we were leaving to go down to breakfast the next day, I couldn't find my laptop anywhere in my room. I was pretty sure I had brought it back the previous day so was certain it was probably stolen. We went to the front desk where I told the staff person, who spoke perfect English, that my computer was not in my room. He immediately picked it up from behind the desk and handed it to me and told me it had been left it in the restaurant. The waitress had found it and brought it to the front desk. You can imagine how relieved I was!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple