“Casa De Las Divas - Best Hidden Secret”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Casa De Las Divas

Smaller Bedroom Upper Casita
Smaller Bedroom Upper Casita
Ensuite Bath, Smaller Bedroom Upper Casita
Bath Upper Casita
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
LorAlves
Los Angeles, CA
“Beward of owner Melissa Hirsch nonfundable policy; get insurance”
Reviewed 15 November 2014 for a stay in November 2014
people found this review helpful

I booked the lower unit of Casa de las Divas for 10 nights on airbnb and paid about $872. It seemed like a good deal as I was sharing the unit with my sister who was flying in from Texas. I stayed there the first night by myself and my sister joined me the next night. Unfortunately on the third day I noticed a rat in the kitchen and I notified the owner, Melissa. She said that she had never had rats in the unit but sent her maid to buy some rat poison to put in the kitchen. That night as my sister was reading a book in bed about 9 pm with the lights on, the rat crawled across her bed. She screamed and I told her to come and sleep with me in the smaller bedroom. As she entered the room, she noticed a scorpion on the window will near the bed. I have attached a photo of the scorpion. We immediately left and found another place to stay. I notified airbnb and Melissa and requested a refund. Intially Melissa denied my request for a refund; later she offered a 50% refund when I refused to return the keys; I offered to return the keys for $400 in cash but she refused to do so. In the mean time, she has rented the unit to others and is keeping all the money. While perhaps the rat or rats and the scorpions are not her problem and could happen to anyone in Mexico, it is the way that she treated me that I object to the most. BEWARE. Do not give her a non-refundable amount without having proper travel insurance. If I had done so, I would not be out such a large sum of money in addition to having a bad experience. She is not nice or gracious and I suppose that she is desperate for the money otherwise she would have refunded my money, no questions asked.

Liked best: The location
Liked least: The owner and the presence of rats and a scorpion
Travelling group: Other
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
19 Nov 2014
I had two gentleman that left the casita the same day this person arrived who left me a 5 star review on Airbnb. This woman booked and paid for one person and then had her sister arrive the next day.

I live on the property and my housekeeper cleans the casita thoroughly several times a week. On the day that this person claimed they saw a small mouse not rat, I informed her that we had never seen any mice or rats on the property in the 10+ years that I have owned it. I did have mouse poison purchased and put in the casita as a precaution.

The next morning I had received numerous emails from this person her sister had now seen a rat and they had left. She accused me of being a liar and that I had told her originally I kept a cat on the premises to kill rats. I have a cat and two dogs that I have for my pleasure and company. She made numerous other false accusations.
I called an inspector/exterminator to come inspect the casita and the beds were moved, closets searched and he found no evidence of mice or rats. He said you can always see traces. He sent me a report which I provided to Airbnb. We noticed that the tray of mouse poison was empty which he said was unusal that mice or rats would leave a trace. We discovered the poison had been placed in the bottom of the trash can in the kitchen which was very suspicious.

This person kept threatening to give my keys to anyone she met if I did not refund her deposit. Airbnb chose to cancel her reservation and not give her a refund I assume based on her actions.

I did not rent out the casita for more money during her rental time after she left.

I have no idea why this woman behaved as she did. My other reviews should suffice for a true depiction of my lovely casitas.
Li Jane G
Davidson, North Carolina
“Casa De Las Divas - Best Hidden Secret”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

San Miguel’s best hidden secret is Casa De Las Divas! I had the most wonderful 9 day stay in San Miguel at the Upper Casita. It is beautifully decorated with colorful artifacts reflecting the cultural arts of Mexico. Don’t miss the historical boveda brick ceilings in the Upper Casita. Being setback in the patio area was most serene and quiet, along with the beautiful views of the courtyard. But a more breathtaking view of San Miguel was from the rooftop garden terrace, a surround-vista of history.
The casita is located in the best Centro location! It is very convenient walking to the Jardin, Parroquia, Artesanias Mercado and so much more. But most of all, the hospitality of Melissa, the owner, was wonderful! She was so helpful with suggestions, from restaurants, shopping to the best bakery in town. And so accommodating by providing a water cooler for your convenience, in addition to free long distance calls to US and wifi. The Upper Casita had the cultural aesthetics, location and conveniences to lure me back.
Melissa is the perfect host, thinking of her guests comfort and stress-free stay. She made my first visit to San Miguel an enticing and memorable one. I’m definitely returning to my casita – soon.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and walking convenience to almost everything
Travelling group: Solo
Your age range 50-64
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Bettina14
Sarasota, Florida
“The best place to stay”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

My husband and I and another couple rented the lower floor casita at Casa de las Divas for a week, and could not have found anywhere better. It was beautifully decorated, cool, set far back from the street and with a lovely small garden to view and a terrace that overlooked the city. The ambiance made us all smile, relax and feel pampered. It was safe and the housekeeper was honest. All this in a location within easy walking distance of El Jardin, the main square, excellent restaurants and the heart of this vibrant and joyful city. Melissa, the owner, was delightful and helpful, while also respectful of our need for privacy. I highly recommend Casa de las Divas.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: It was beautifully decorated and quiet
Liked least: nothing
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 65+
SayulitaP...
Playa San Miguel, Costa Rica
“Better than the pictures show”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

A lovely traditional home, very close 3 blocks to the center Jardan...owner is extremely helpful and has everything organized for the guests...booklets with suggestions for eating etc are at hand. There was daily maid service which I am not sure is always included in this sort of rental. The aparment was complete and super comgfortaboe as were the two ensuite bathrooms. I would return....we were in the lower casita which >I prefer tothe stairs...but either is fine.

Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: off street parking half a block away,,,but parking on street not difficult either. opwner has delightful pets...dogs and cats...the cat will visit if made welcome.
Liked least: paying a stupid extra fee to FlipKey.....I would not do so again.
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers People with pets
yellowc8
phoenix, az
“Perfect location”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 for a stay in June 2014
person found this review helpful

Would not hesitate to recommend Casa de Las Divas to anyone. It is located on Hidalgo, a main thoroughfare leading to the Jardin 2 blocks away and a block and a half to the Biblioteca, where everyone meets and greets as well as the meeting point for the Sunday House and Garden Tour. The living sleeping areas are set inside away from the street so it is very quiet. There is a modest kitchen (stove, microwave)with all the required utensils for a comfortable stay. Dining and living areas are comfortable-nice to have wifi fast enough for video streaming, vonage fone to make US calls. Bring a HDMI cable if you want to stream your favorite movie to the flat panel TV with some English channels.There enough eateries within a block or two and Starbucks is only2 blocks away near the Jardin, however, we made our own coffee as a coffeemaker is available onsite. Put your feet up, relax at Casa de Las Divas. Thanks for the flowers Melissa.

Liked best: location, comfort
Liked least: there was nothing to dislike
Travelling group: Other
Your age range 65+
Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing