All reviews sea view steak and ale pie visiting family and friends big car park lunchtime meal party night breakfast included quality hotel modern hotel piping hot buffet style hotel bar every member of staff main course rooms are large superb location a great nights sleep
Reviewed 25 April 2018

I am drawn to contact you after 2 very unsatisfactory visits to the Commissioners quay in Blyth.

In the early part of the new year my wife and I went for lunch and my wife had a Salmon and Vegetable dish (not on your current menu) and when it arrived we were disappointed to say the least. The salmon was about the size of a Birds eye fish finger and the vegetables were no more than a couple of Runner Beans and two thin shreds of cabbage and two potatoes. When the waitress came to ask if everything was O.K. we said that actually it was not and showed her the mean amount of veg and tiny salmon. To her credit she asked if we would like another portion of vegetables. She was away rather a long time and when she came back she arrived with an embarrassed look and told us the chef would not let us have any more veg as that was the portion size!!!!!!!!! At the price charged I think this was disgraceful.

We complained to the manager on leaving and was told that Salmon is expensive which we agreed with as we eat a lot of Salmon so know the prices well and I estimate the wholesale price of that portion would be less than £1. He just didnt seem bothered by our complaint and we vowed never to come back.

However I decided to give it one more try with my daughter yesterday. I had a curry which was ok and my daughter had the Chicken and Avocado Salad. When the meal arrived my daughter nearly asked for the waitress to come back as she said they had missed off the Avocado. Then after poking around the leaves she spotted some about the size of a Malteser. I wish I had taken a picture. When the waitress cam to ask if everything was ok. We said the Avocado was hardly worth a mention on the menu and at £10 for a salad this was shocking. She said she would feedback our comments. We waited for someone in authority to come and speak to us but no one did.

As we needed to be back to work we had to leave but this time I vow never again.

P.S. dont ask for extra gravy for the dry roast sandwich as it is another 50p for a tiny jug. This is the only place we know who have the nerve to charge for this.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Ed H
Honour W, Guest Relations Manager at The Commissioners Quay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review, I understand this matter has been dealt with by the General Manager.

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

Visited today for carvery with the family. The meat is always fresh and lean and the meal lovely and piping hot. Gravy nice too. The carvery guy is also always canny! You can usually always get a seat unless it's busy and there's a short wait

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Honour W, Guest Relations Manager at The Commissioners Quay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Thank you for leaving this review, so pleased to hear you enjoyed your Sunday Carvery with us and we do hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

Rooms are modern, bright and spacious. The restaurant is good with a decent menu. We were in a group of around 20 but was no problem and all food arrived together and well prepared.
The staff were really friendly and nothing was too much trouble!!
A nice location too!!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Darren S
Honour W, Guest Relations Manager at The Commissioners Quay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

Thank you for leaving this great review, so pleased to read you enjoyed your Inn Collection Group experience and we do hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 February 2018

Found this hotel by chance (it is relatively new). I had a sea view room which was really nice. Warm, spacious and comfortable. The TV operation is a bit strange (done on the cheap) but all in all a very enjoyable nights sleep. Breakfast is very ordinary - cooked on Monday and reheated every other day I would say!
The food in the restaurant is OK but the way one has to order is strange. I have no problem with ordering at the bar for my food and drinks and paying. But when my main course is brought and I ask for another drink I am told "order at the bar" , not "I'll get that for you". Same goes for coffee and dessert. Very poor customer service and poor business as I did not order another drink whilst my dinner was going cold or a coffee after dinner. Even Brewers Fayre staff will get you a drink!

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Honour W, Guest Relations Manager at The Commissioners Quay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2018

Thank you for your comments and your four stars. I am very pleased you enjoyed your sea view room, TV operation is standard free-view, not quite sure what you mean by "done on the cheap" this is a normal facility used by many Inn's and hotels.
We offer a full English breakfast freshly cooked every morning along with cereals, toast and fresh fruit, we do try to accommodate every request where we can.
As stated on our menu we operate an order at the bar service, this works well during busy periods and to offer table service at quieter times would result in a confusing ordering system.
We do hope to see you at The Commissioner's Quay Inn in the near future.

Reviewed 16 February 2018

Plus: Room clean, large, reasonably well equipped and comfortable. Sea view nice. Room price ok at £95 inc b/fast.

Negatives: I was charged an extra £25 for checking out at 11:25am. Apparently, check out is 10:30 which is early in my opinion but was told this on checkin. Despite being told breakfast ends at 9:30 on checkin, kitchen staff told me breakfast was open to 11am at 9am on the morning of checkout. So how can checkout be before breakfast ends? Whatever the true time for breakfast ending I travel a lot and have never been to a hotel before that charges a late checkout fee for 11:25 in the morning! I will be travelling a lot to Blyth in the next few years for business reasons and will be authorising spend for up to 8 people to stay in a hotel and needless to say I, and my team, will look elsewhere from now on.

Stayed: February 2018

Thank you for leaving this review.
As stated on check in, we do have a check out time of 10.30am, as you didn't vacate your room until well after this time it did result in a late check out fee.
Our residents complimentary buffet breakfast is served until 9.30am so finishes well before our 10.30am check out time.
We are sorry that you feel this way about our policies but as I am sure you are aware in order to continue the smooth running of our business we have to ensure these remain in place.