6,229 results
All reviews la bodega palm trees don julian gala night specialty restaurants courtyard view pool bar beds pushed together musty smell buffet restaurant hour lounge scuba caribe gated community lobster main buffet plenty of chairs other resorts
Reviewed 17 September 2018

This is a excellent choice for your vacation in Playa del Carmen, just 5min away from downtown.
The hotel offered a VIP service, food and fun, just what you expected from a 5 star hotel.
You have everything you need inside the complex. fully recommended.

1  Thank Manuel T
Reviewed 17 September 2018

Just arrived home from a brilliant 2 weeks at the Riu Palace . First time in Mexico and was more than impressed with the food,drinks and service on offer. I am not going to dwell on the seaweed issue as it is covered endlessly in previous reviews but I agree the rooms, although clean, can do with a lick of paint in places.
Staff are brilliant and work tirelessly so deserve their tips. Weather wasn't particularly good during our visit around 4 days of cloudy Weather and then 2 days of torrential rain
One thing they must look at though is the traders on the beach, they aren't in your face but are constant so do become a little tiresome after a while trying to sell cigars and jewellery. Playa del Carmen wasn't pretty for me and I heard stories of drugs on offer and theft at night down there so tread carefully.
My other gripe was people smoking in the swim up pool, surely that should be stopped in this day and age.
Overall though both myself and my partner had a fantastic time and we were treat like kings and queens and I thank all the staff at the Riu palace for that. Will definitely return.

Room tip: Fountain facing rooms are around £280 upgrade
Date of stay: September 2018
3  Thank RotherhamMartins
Reviewed 17 September 2018

We have just returned home after spending two weeks at this hotel which is simply top drawer in every respect. Its full on five star all inclusive with service second to none by the staff who are the most attentive that I have ever encountered

The food provided in the various restaurants caters for every taste icluding the most fussy of diners. The entertainment theatre was closed during our visit and all of the shows were performed outside on the stage as well as in the hotel lobby.

The flight is a long one nine and a half hours each way but we flew with TUI on the 787 DREAMLINER in PREMIUM and it was excellent all round.

Next year sees our 40th wedding anniversary and we will be going back to this superb venue once again

3  Thank paulfcorbett
Reviewed 17 September 2018

We stayed in the Yucatan hotel, next door 7 years ago and decided to go for that bit more luxury this year and booked for the Riu Palace Mexico. We have previously stayed in 2 other Palaces in other country's so knew the level of expectation.
We booked with Tui, so room wise we, upgrades were only available on arrival, our check in was swift and we were offered a room upgrade at a price to face the fountain's, we declined and were allocated a room overlooking the Yucatan hotel and walkway from the Tequila. The room location was ok tbh but what was disappointing to hear during our holiday was people were being upgraded free of charge, some were offered discounts and some were simply upgraded due to moaning a lot.... Whilst I appreciate room availability is a big factor, so is consistency to make things fair to all, I would prefer to think that room upgrades and allocations are given on a fair and equal basis or not at all...That's my opinion.
Having said all that, the rooms are very nice, there are signs of damp and musty smells but I’d put that down to humidity. There have been complaints about the layout and bathrooms but for us the room layout worked well and with the bathroom curtain, you get privacy. Iron, Ironing board, safe, fully stocked and re filled daily fridge, toiletries all in the room and cleaned daily to a high standard. One of the big problems we experienced whilst there was the noise from the corridors and rooms, resulting in being woken practically every night. I appreciate that you do get loud and selfish people who think shouting in corridors, playing loud music or slamming doors is acceptable and a normal thing to do in the early hours but I would have liked to have seen the hotel being a bit more proactive, i.e., maybe security being a bit more visible during the night, signs on the walls advising on respecting other people, I think you get the picture..

The restaurants were all good, the speciality ones were all set menus, a very nice change as you are waited on and the food and presentation were always of a high standard. The buffet restaurant was used for breakfast and evening dinner, again well-presented and good choices. I think on the evenings the buffet restaurant would have been slightly more appealing if they dimmed the lights a bit and maybe some background music going on, just to take away the canteen side of it away, again just my opinion.

There is a problem with seaweed as already stated and if you’re a beach lover this does spoil things slightly, however they do work so hard in trying to clear the weed daily and keep it at a minimum. There is usually a team of about 10 guys working hard to sort this.
Having said that there are the pools to use instead and there’s never really a problem getting a bed there, same old story though, if you want prime spot or your favourite spot then get up early, if you snooze you lose.... The pool bar can get a bit loud and if you watch carefully, it changes colour during the day.... I wonder if that’s the fact that you see loads of alcohol being consumed but no one actually gets out during the day.... HhhhMmmm, the joy of pool bars. Not for me...

I must mention, although we didn’t participate at all, the entertainment team were excellent, they were always friendly, not over the top but invited everyone to join in. The shows they put on in the evening were really good and you can see a lot of hard work had clearly gone into them. They were full of energy and a big plus to the hotel, Well done guys. That also extends to "All" the staff that work hard for our enjoyment and comfort there, gardeners, cleaners, bar staff, cooks, pool guys, beach waiters and everyone else... The amount of staff there does make a difference to the service you receive.

So why 4 stars, I just think this particular Riu Palace doesn't quite meet the mark to the previous ones we have stayed in. We will definitely return to Mexico for a 3rd time but probably not to this hotel, having said that we had a lovely holiday.

Room tip: Beware of the Upgrade Prices and are they worth it..
Date of stay: September 2018
Review collected in partnership with HP Windows 10
1  Thank Sillybait
Reviewed 17 September 2018

The food was excellent and very varied .All the staff were very, very friendly and ready to please you at all time, unfortunately the room was not what we expected We wanted two bed and they just gave us a. King size , and they told that this is how all the rooms were , we did not like the bathroom either, there was no privacy at all, That ‘s why I’m only going to give it three and a half stars

Room tip: Choose a room near the beach and fountains
Trip type: Travelled with family
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

Dear buenosaire1969,

Many thanks for your feedback, as this allows us to see our hotel from a guest point of view.

We place great importance on providing our guests with unforgettable experiences, so we deeply appreciate your compliments on our very friendly staff, cleanliness and on our wide range of food options.

As to your booking and for your next visit, we recommend you check our official website for accurate hotel details on the room categories to avoid disappointment.

It would be great if you would honour us with a chance to deliver another enjoyable experience you well deserve.

With our best wishes we remain,

Hotel Riu Palace Mexico