5,496 results
All reviews star friends dressel divers pink flamingos fish steak restaurant water shoes tenderloin dive shop tex mex rooms are small swim up bar sand fleas specialty restaurants rocky beach other resorts main buffet shows at night
Reviewed 1 May 2018

This is a hotel resort so it was nice that we weren't subjected to timeshare pressure presentations. Food was very good, there is better at a much higher price elsewhere but nothing disappointed at Iberostar. Hotel room was clean and room cleaning service was top notch. Grounds are beautiful with a lot of trees and flowering plants, pool is larger with swim up bar and beach is great. This was our first time and we'll definitely being staying again.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
1  Thank John P
Quality Manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Dear guest,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Cozumel and for sharing your experience with us and with the TripAdvisor community.

We are happy to know that you had a wonderful time and that you enjoyed our beautiful facilities, the cleanliness of your room, our gastronomic offer and the attentive service of our staff.

It was a pleasure to serve you; we are looking forward to welcome you once again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 30 April 2018

My husband and I have gone to this hotel 4 times. We LOVE the "non-hotel-ness" of it. It has little 2 and 4-plexes set among the trees and foliage. It's small and peaceful. Always something to do. I learned to scuba dive in 2017 and dove again this year. The dive shop has very nice and outgoing people running it and the dive masters were patient and very thorough. VERY thorough.....lol. I would highly recommend if you have ever been interested in diving, Try it here. Beautiful reefs! I even tried my hand at night diving and cavern diving.
The food is varied and they have a different "theme" every night. You can always find food somewhere on the premises just about any time of the day or night. Which does come in handy if you find you may have drank a little too much early in the day and missed dinner.......
We are going again in 2019. One more thing, on our first time here we asked our travel agent what hotel to stay at and she told us she has tried several on the island and THIS hotel was the one she would always go to. =)

Stayed: February 2018
1  Thank Molly C

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your loyalty towards our brand and for sharing your experience about your recent stay at IBEROSTAR Cozumel.

We are delighted to read that you and your husband had a fantastic time enjoying our beautiful facilities, gastronomic offer, and the wonders of the sea.

Thank for recommending us, we are looking forward to welcome you for the fifth time, next year.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 29 April 2018

The Iberostar Cozumel is the worst place I have ever stayed at for many reasons. They charge to use the snorkeling equipment, I have never stayed at any all-inclusive where the non-motorized water sports are not included. The water is very dirty and brown, you would never know you were in the Caribbean. The worst thing was that the room reeked of a musty, moldy smell. Typically, rooms have a bit of a musty smell but it goes away. This was so strong and every time we walked into the room it smelled just as bad as the first time we entered. When we got home I had to wash everything, whether we wore it or not. I had to take clothes to the dry cleaners even though I had just had them dry cleaned before we left. We even had to put our suit cases and anything else that was in the room outside to air out and spray them with Febreeze. People mention the pink flamingos, those poor things are in a tiny area with the dirtiest water I have ever seen.
On the plus side there was a rental car agency set up at the resort so you could pick up your car right there. That was very convenient.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Quality Manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2018

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing our resort on your most recent vacation at the paradisiacal Island of Cozumel.

We strive to make all our guests have a pleasant and memorable experience and for this reason we regret to hear that we missed on fully meeting your expectations during your recent stay. Regarding the use of the snorkeling equipment, it is important to mention that the hotel does not charge any type of fee. However, due to our location at a natural protected area, there is a governmental fee for the maintenance of the area.

On the other hand, we will like to take this opportunity to mention that due to our tropical climate, all areas, including rooms, get the humidity that temporarily causes the smell of damp, nevertheless, our Housekeeping Department works really hard to make sure the rooms are always in tip-top conditions, and we regret to read the discomfort that this situation caused you.

We hope you can reconsider staying with us again so we can have a new opportunity to convince you with a better service.

Best regards,

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

So before we left I read as much as possible about this resort and traveling to cozumel because although I have traveled a lot I have never been to Mexico so I had questions!

So this review is going to be long but I'm going to try to keep things separate.

Airport transportation

The package we booked did not include airport transport to the resort, which was no big deal. Honestly the airport is small and easy to navigate. You'll be asked to fill customs forms on the plane, they are short and straightforward, they likely won't offer pens so pack on or two depending on your group size. Once through customs you'll be greeted by some ladies asking if you need assistance they will try to direct you to a tourism stand where they will explain the taxi system and also give you info on day trips. How long you stay at that station is up to you. If you need a rental or want to book an outing it's a great place to start though you will also be able to get a rental or book an outing at the Iberostar. If you want to skip this process you'll want to turn right out of customs and stop at the last both on the left by the exit outside. There is only one taxi service, they are shuttles and you will have to buy a voucher at that counter. They accept credit card and cash it will be 198 pesos or about 12/13 American dollars per person (pesos and American dollars are both represented by the $$$ sign, so if you are unsure which currency a price represents just ask). The Iberostar is the farthest resort on the island and it took us about a half an hour to get there.

Check in

Check in was quick and easy the staff is very friendly we were able to grab a drink and get to our room in just a few minutes. You will also be given two towel cards. Each person is allotted one pool towel, I had respect for that because it keeps the pool and beach area clear and chairs available as people aren't dumping towels everywhere and abandoning them. I saw people had brought personal towels from home and chip clips to keep them on chairs. Something to keep in mind if the one towel thing bothers you and it does get breezy so if you happen to remember clips it might be handy.

The Room
As some people have mentioned the room was a little musty. I only noticed this the first day and as someone who frequently suffers with allergies I can honestly say I didn't have any problems! But everyone is different so if you have a problem just ask the desk for help, I'm sure they will find a way to fix it. It was plenty big for us we used the nightstands for our suitcases and the bathroom is actually really nice. I will mention this later too but they ask that you do not flush toilet paper! Their waste removal system can't handle it so just dispose of used paper in the trash can located next to every toilet on the resort ( and off the resort). There are marble floors through the entire room which makes everything easier to keep clean anyway and they did provide standard toiletries so you don't have to bring your own. Ladies this is a hot sun you may consider bringing hair oil or some other leave in conditioner to protect your hair but that's up to you!

The Food
Breakfast is served in the lobby restraunt at 630am if you an early riser the buffet might not be completely setup by 630 exactly but it will be by like 645. They are happy to make and serve espresso drinks all day all you need to do is ask and they also served fresh juices and American coffee. For lunch the poolside grill is open and had fruit salads, 2-3 lettuce salads, burgers, fries and more. Some days they did different dishes cooked on the beach (BBQ and shrimp fried rice that we saw) there is also a buffet open for lunch by the pool but you do need to wear a pool cover up and at least flip flops. For dinner the buffet in the lobby opens at 630 and it open until 11 I believe. There are three additional restaurants open for dinner (steakhouse, tex-mex, and Asian) you'll need to make reservations at the guest services desk next to the check-in desk in the lobby between 9am-6pm. Though we stayed for 4 nights we were able to get two reservations (you just have to ask ) we tried the steakhouse and the Asian restaurant and both were really good. Service overall at all the restaurants is excellent! Some resorts have strict dress codes for the nicer restaurants, here they do ask that the men not wear tank tops (shorts or any other shirt is fine) and everyone wear shoes.
I enjoyed the buffets, the fruit offered at each meal is amazing, everything is so ripe and so sweet. The best food we had was the Mexican food they offered and the seafood, don't be shy to try new things! I challenged myself to try something new at each meal and I loved it! I could have lived on just the mango, I've yet to find a mango that ripe in the states.

The Beach

Beautiful! But as mentioned in other reviews it is a bit rocky you will 100% need water shoes to be able to enjoy the water. You are staying next to the second largest coral reef in the world (lucky you!) You can get them in any color on Amazon for about $10usd I'd suggest getting ones they come to your ankles, no ballet flats ladies they will fall off when you are swimming. On the same note you can buy your own snorkel mask on Amazon for about 15$ though they do have some water equipment available we preferred to have our own. If you are going to snorkel lots of fish hang out under the pier all day. Or if you wanted to be able to walk and see some young reef turn left at the ocean and walk down to the small peninsula that can be seen from the Iberostar. It's about a 10 minute walk but it has some young more active coral and some beautiful tidal pools that can been seen and explored surfing low tide (around noon for us). But again you really should have water shoes. While this area is technically coral reef it's not exactly what you've seen in science textbooks for that you'll want to book and excursion which I'll talk about next.

Excursions/outings

We were lazy and didn't book anything until we got to the resort! (yay spontaneity!) there is an excursion booking agent in the lobby the next desk down from guest services. We wandered up and asked to look at the brochures available and he helped us without being pushy and answered any questions we had! There is a lot to see and do but make sure you don't cram too much into your vacation! There is a fee for any water craft activities at this resort and I assume others, it is $3usd the money is to help protect all of the gorgeousness you are enjoying. That fee includes the kayaks and other boats available for use at the resort just keep that in mind. We picked two excursions for our 4 night stay as this trip was mainly to relax and not work too hard but there is no shortage of things to see as mainland is just a short boat trip away! We went on a 2.5 hour snorkeling excursion in a glass bottom boat, it was $53 usd ($3 was the eco fee) per person and the boat crew provided water, Coca-Cola, and Coronas. They ask that you wait to have beer until after the first stop for safety since it is in deeper water. They provide all of the equipment you need if you don't have your own and use plenty of sanitizer on everything. If you want to see coral reef as you have probably pictured in your mind you do need to book an excursion the whole outing was really nice and worth the $$. The second outing we booked was parasailing, we booked about 30 minutes before we went (the boats only run until 3pm keep that in mind) it was really beautiful! The trip lasted about 45 minutes in all and ran about $65 per person if you pay cash and extra 15% if you use your credit card. If you have never taken a boat trip it is customary to tip the boat crew (worldwide) so be kind and take care of them!

Other tidbits as I think of them...

- You can purchase things and tip in usd I brought plenty of cash and didn't end up having to get any pesos, not that I'm against it in any way I just didn't need more cash than I brought.

- Every staff member we came in contact with was friendly and answered any questions we had! They basically all speak some English though many are still learning, we didn't have any communication issues. I am learning Spanish and they had plenty of patience with me asking questions in my broken Spanish and asking for the names of things in Spanish.

- The water is safe to drink! They filter all of the water used in the resort so drink up because it's hot! You don't want to get heat sick and ruin your trip!

- On that note too bite the bullet and buy sunblock!! We only brought carry on luggage so we did not bring sunblock the resort shop offers all different kinds. You will pay resort prices though at around $20usd for a bottle or can. You need sunblock. Buy the sunblock. Or you'll end up buying aloe at the same price and being in a lot of pain. Even with the sunblock (spf 50) I did get a little red the one day. I used an entire can on myself in 5 days and I don't typically burn easily. This sun is much hotter and more intense then the northern sun. Protect yourself so you can have a good time!

- There is medical help available by the lobby if you need help or feel ill and basic medicines available in the gift shop.

-Each room has a mini fridge stocked and included in your stay it has a few Mexican beers, coke, sprite, soda water, and bottles of water.

-There are additional larger bottles of water on the counter by your coffee station, which has plenty of tea and coffee to keep you going and it restocked daily! (but don't forget you can order expresso drinks too, they make amazing lattes)

-They do not offer room service which didn't bother us at all we had plenty to eat every day but if you tend to get hungry late at night you can always grab a few extra things from the pool side grill and stash them in your fridge!

-Certain nights they bring in local vendors for you to be able to shop its an open market style and they setup by the bridge to the lobby.

- When you return to the airport can call a cab by the front desk, they typically have a few waiting and they post the prices on a sheet at the desk so you shouldn't have to negotiate a price. We. Paid $30usd for the both of us to cab back to the airport.

- Once you get through security you'll find several souvenir shops, two cafes, and a duty free store. Since you should get to the airport two hours before your flight you'll probably have time to shop. Keep in mind if you buy hotsauce over 3ounces and are returning to the states it needs to be in a duty free bag or they will throw it away once you go through security stateside (happened to me).

-If you feed wildlife and get mauled by an iguana you're on your own. Joking aside they ask you not to feed the animals for several obvious reasons but please just consider the bacteria folks. If you or your kid does pet an animal you need to wash your hands before you touch your face or eat. On a gentler note we noticed some staff feeding the fish by the pier we tried bringing frosted flakes and were gently asked to only feed them fruit. So please don't chuck a cheeseburger into the ocean to chum for fish (there are fruit salad cups available at the poolside grill)

- Every night they offer some form of entertainment some nights were awesome! Fire dancing! And some nights were karaoke and boogie nights

Appreciation
Tip your staff. It's customary at home and it's customary here. It's like going to a wedding with an open bar, yes it's been paid for but you should still be tipping. We left tips for our maid each day, tipped $1 per drink and tipped waitstaff depending on how much we asked for $3 if they just brought us water and cleaned up and whatnot, $5 if they were running cocktails or coffee drinks to us or bringing us togo cups of coffee or to go plates if we wanted to bring food to the room or beach.

Those numbers are just what we thought were adequate and not some unwritten rule.

There are some mixed reviews on here mostly it seems because people booked without doing any research. You need to decide what's important to you in a resort. We found the Iberostar to be peaceful and low key. They allow kids but we only saw a few families I would say this is a family friendly resort but the adult vibe is stronger than the family vibe. They offer plenty of family amenities but plenty more bars, and they have a small children's pool but it doesn't have a water park.

Overall if you've coming to the Iberostar come ready to enjoy yourself! If you have a problem ask for help! If you end up with a plate of food you don't like try some other food! If something happens please give the staff a chance to fix it before settling into a bad mood for the remainder of your trip. They work very hard to make sure you enjoy yourself here and you worked very hard to take this vacation!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
25  Thank Shauna P
Quality Manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

Dear guest,

On behalf of the entire team of IBEROSTAR Cozumel we would like to thank you not only for choosing us as your holiday destination but also for sharing your detailed review about your experience with us.

We are glad to read your praising words about our restaurants, as our Executive Chef strives to offer the best gastronomic experiences to please the palates of our guests. We are more than happy to read that we achieved this during your stay.

Furthermore, it is gratifying to read that through the attentive service of our staff we made of your stay a unique experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 27 April 2018

First of all if you go to the Iberostar Cozumel hotel website, it says the its a 5-star hotel and this hotel is not 5 star by any standards.
I am giving 3 stars for this hotel just because of the people who work there and their hospitality and hard work. They were mostly very nice and helpful and courteous.

The hotel rooms are in villas which I liked. Plenty of greenery around and flamingos, iguanas, peacocks, different birds make you feel you're in tropics. Room wise-the room I stayed in smelled musty. Later I figured it was the bed sheet and pillow covers that smelled like mold. I suggest you to ask the management to change your bed sheet and pillow cover if your room smells musty. I had to write on piece of paper in Spanish to change sheets. Then the smell mostly went away after.
The room had very basic furniture and bad mattress. No iron/board, even note book or pen! No tub in the bathroom, just standing shower and the shower door would not close properly so water gets out on the bathroom floor once you shower.

Food was okay for a "5-star" resort hotel. Regular buffet dining had huge selection of food but I could tell that not all food served was fresh. They recycle lot of food. I noticed this mostly with Mexican food section and breads. The main disappointing aspect for me was that you have to make a reservation to eat at their 'specialty' restaurant. You can make one reservation at a time for one restaurant. if you're staying 4 nights only they let you eat at one restaurant only. You have to go to lobby area around 9 am to make reservation for that night. I finally managed to make one and went to the Tex Mex restaurant. The host was very nice and so was my server.
Their menu was very very limited at Tex Mex restaurant. The server didn't allow us to order tacos for appetizer cause it takes time to cook meat! so we had chips and salsa and taco bowl (very small) for appetizer. I ordered coconut shrimp for entree, they gave me 4 pieces of shrimp on a 6 inch tortilla with sauce on side. Their dessert was the worst part. Ordered tres leches cake hoping it would be better ending. Didn't even taste like tres leches. We were thinking of making reservation at the Asian restaurant for next night, but after eating at the Mexican restaurant we thought we're better off eating the buffet.
Their beach area is nice with bars and snack bar close by. Servers make rounds to make sure you're doing fine and have drinks. The beach itself not so impressive; coarse sand, algae everywhere on the shore, rocky beach. They have volcanic rocks everywhere so be careful when getting inside water.
Water was warm and clean though and nice views from cabana. Snorkeling is free for 1 hour. I saw different fishes even from the pier without snorkeling, cause water is so clear. I saw lot of people go scuba diving, I guess this hotel is famous for that.
Activity wise I think they have variety of them. I didn't really care for any. I did go to one at the theater when one lady was singing, very few audience. looked boring so I left and went to the beach instead. The fire show was very impressive.
Their pool is nice and big. Lot of people seemed to enjoy the pool than beach cause you can't really swim in the ocean LOL its too rocky. The pool closes at 7 pm! ( I would have liked to go to the pool at this time because its not too hot) Their towel shop closes at 6 pm. Not so convenient. Bathrooms need better cleaning as lot of people use it and it didn't look very clean.
Definitely won't be going back to this hotel but will go to Cozumel again!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kasey9228
Quality Manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort on your most recent vacations to the beautiful Mexican Caribbean.

It is rewarding to know that our beautiful facilities, exotic atmosphere, wildlife and the friendliness and attentiveness of our team were of your liking. On the other hand, we will like to take this opportunity to mention that due to our tropical climate, all areas, including rooms, get the humidity that temporarily causes the smell of damp, nevertheless, our Housekeeping Department works really hard to make sure that the rooms are always in optimal conditions.

Concerning our gastronomic offerings, we regret to read that our food was not of your liking; we have already shared your feedback with our Executive chef for its consideration. Also we appreciate your kind comments about your experience at our Tex Mex Restaurant.

We would be honored to have a new opportunity to host you and demonstrate you our true commitment to our exceptional customer service.

Kind regards,