All reviews eco hotel lovely courtyards el llano studio apartment other guests solar panels lending library communal kitchen plastic bottles corn flakes conserve water light breakfast pan dulce lovely park santo domingo oaxaca city rooms are quiet
Reviewed 15 August 2018

On first glance, the studio apartment seemed ideal. Street noise and of more concern, light from the hall into the apartment at night stole the delight of the place. When we asked to have them dimmed or turned off or even something to cover the windows, the proprietors told us they would do nothing. After all, we were only staying a night or two, so why bother making any effort on our behalf. The security procedure won't allow guests to have a key to the front door and it is locked after 8:30 p.m. Breakfast consisted of day old pastries, coffee of which Mexico seems to make the world's worst even though they produce it, and corn flakes.

Room tip: Avoid the studio #5 at the front.
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Russ009
Mariposas1, Gerente at Hotel Las Mariposas, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2018

Dear Russ009:
Thank you for sharing your comments. I am very sorry you were disappointed by your stay.
We pride ourselves on clean, comfortable rooms at a great price. Do not hesitate that really we do our best effort to satisfy our customers' needs no matter how long they stay here.
Again, I am sorry that your experience was not to your liking. Greetings we hope your next visit will be staying at the hotel of your choice.

Reviewed 12 July 2018

My son had stayed at Las Mariposas when his middle school spent a week in Oaxaca a few years ago, so I knew it was safe and friendly. We had the chance to go to Oaxaca as a family recently, and ended up staying for about two weeks. We loved the rooms with a small kitchen [and big comfy beds!] and they all had great ventilation with good fans and windows.

The location works really well for easy walking access to lots of great places, and it is in a mellow, safe neighborhood.

I really appreciate the commitment to being socially responsible - they have solar panels, an extensive water collection and re-use system, and clearly support socially responsible vendors and tour guides. Staff were all friendly and helpful. Fabulous gardens and various patios!

Room tip: The rooms vary in character and style. If you are staying more than a couple days, I"d ask to check out what's available.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Capmagpie: Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Las mariposas. It is always a pleasure to hear from a satisfied customer. It is true that we are very committed with environmental care, but also providing clean and comfortable rooms with great service. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and providing feedback. We do hope to see you again if your travels return you to Oaxaca.

Reviewed 12 July 2018

I've never seen a hotel like this! The team of Las Mariposas uses rainwater not only for the plants in the garden, but for washing the floor! They make "bricks" from plastic bottles, which will be used as building material for houses of poor families in Mexico! They collect milk packaging, which will be reused as insulation for the houses and support a lot of different projects! Incredible Teresa runs this hotel - she invested 35 !! years in it! There is so much work, energy and love in every detail. We stayed for 4 nights in a stidio apartment with a fully equipped kitchen - we felt very comfortable and homy. We enjoyed the beautiful garden and the peace and harmony of the place!

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Svetlana_Berlin
Mariposas1, Gerente at Hotel Las Mariposas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2018

Dear Svetlana:Thank you so much for your remark. It was a pleasure and honor having you as our guest and I appreciate your kind words which I have shared with our entire team. Honestly, we could not be doing the work that we are doing without your participation in the care of the environment.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future to Oaxaca and the Hotel las mariposas!
Best regards!

Reviewed 4 June 2018

Las Mariposas has been my "home" for the last two weeks. The owner and staff are friendly, professional and helpful. As a woman traveling on my own, I have felt completely safe here, as well as have had the opportunity to chat with other guests and staff over the morning coffee and bread, which is included in the price. The hotel is immaculate, there is a clear attempt to conserve water and be environmentally conscious. The courtyards are beautiful and peaceful. I will miss the bird songs each morning and evening and all of the plants growing in the patios of the hotel. I highly recommend Las Mariposas!

Room tip: Ask for a room on the back patio if you like extra peace and quiet.
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Mariposas1, Gerente at Hotel Las Mariposas, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2018

Dear Kelley, thank you very much for your kind comments and for choosing the Hotel Las mariposas for your stay in Oaxaca. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back soon.
Best regards from the entire team at the Las mariposas.

Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

The owners of the hotel are present and always ready to help and make your stay great
The rooms are clean and cozy and the common areas are colorful and comfortable, great value for money. Very well located on a walking distance of the walking street and markets

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Mariposas1, Gerente at Hotel Las Mariposas, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2018

I am so glad you liked staff service, the breakfast and our clean and comfortable rooms, we are nicely located close to the meanings places in the center of the Oaxaca city. It was honor to serve you.
From the team and myself we look forward to seeing you again.