Museo de las Momias de Guanajuato
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Guanajuato
from US$95.25
from US$1,010.00
from US$895.00
1,831 results
All reviews mummified bodies mummy museum buried alive on display unique experience interesting museum death momias soil nightmares preservation spooky fascination explanation doctor stories infant
Reviewed 29 January 2008

The Museum of the Mummies is very interesting and worth seeing, if you are interested in such things. The second "museum" (Cult of the Dead/Culto de los Muertes) is a rip-off tacked on to the educational experience. Just a bunch of fake displays (e.g., the skeleton of a person who supposedly died of radiation poisoning, whose skeleton glows with a greenish light). It's only 10 pesos ($1) more, but not worth even that.

2  Thank Comfortableshoes64
Reviewed 2 July 2007

I have enjoyed the mummy museum the several times I have visited. However, recently they gave the museum a face lift (that only took 60 hours to complete) and the ambiance that the museum once had has vanished. Granted, the upgrade is very nice, but with the marble floors, nice halogen lighting set in fancy stainless steel hanging lamps, and new positions for the mummies- it doesn't feel like you are in the crypt. The original layout allowed you to feel "up close and personal" with the mummies as you strolled through the musty, dimly-lit cement chambers. Obviously, the mummies have not changed; so, the musuem really is a must if you can handle it (I have seen many people leave abruptly). A stroll through will make you reflect on your own mortality while understanding the fascinating Mexican behaviors and concepts of death.

1  Thank slaes10
Reviewed 25 November 2006

I had always wanted to visit the mummies after reading about them as a girl so I went the first week in November to tie in with Mexico's Day of the Dead. They had a beautifully laid out Day of the Dead altar at the entrance along with poignant photos of traditional mother/father with dead children that was quite common for the times. I did not find this museum grotesque or bizarre but a contemplation on the briefness of life, of the soul and of the journey each of us take through time. This museum would never be tolerated in the U.S. due to political correctness and the idea of a distant relative being displayed as a 'mummy'. It works wonderfully in Mexico particularly during Day of the Dead where relatives are truly honored with altars, graveside get-togethers, favorite foods. I would recommend this museum.

1  Thank Jeano33
A TripAdvisor Member
Mexicali, Mexico
Reviewed 6 August 2006

Guanajuato it´s a pretty place but I felt a sinister athmosphere
In all the town.
I never has been afraid about horror movies, but this museum was my horror ultimate experience, I agree with other TA members , don´t go with small childrens, this place disturbing me for the next 2 nights, I was thinking in the dead people because there are many mummies, I know it is an educational and an archeological experience but bizzarre.
the other bizzarre experience is to visit, "la casa de la tia aura"
(aunt aura house) an old lady mummy dressed like the 19 century, sitting at the living room of the house, this old lady was a witch, had a crystal ball and talked with the demon, there are some records about that conversations, the house have dark hallways, and there are at the house base, a dungeon, with torture chambers.
this could be a delight for dead rockers guys, but not for me.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 May 2005

I went to the museum on May 2, 2005. There are now two parts to the museum. I was asked in Spanish, "Ambos museos?" Which means both museums? I responded in Spanish asking about the difference between the two and the cost. I was told there were "new" displays in the second museum; that together it was 60 pesos.

I did not see anything different between the two sides of the museum. If I had given it more thought at the time, I would have realized that new mummies is a oxymoron.

I am not certain the ticket seller was bilingual so be prepared for the question.

17  Thank DanDavis