Review Highlights
Literally the BEST tequila I’ve tasted!!!

Introduced at a zip line venue tasting experience.......that in & of itself was great for wife... read more

Reviewed 31 January 2021
hdparnell
Soquel, California
via mobile
Good Tequila and Informational Tour

Baston Del Ray is a fancy small place where they make good tequila - their anejo was one of my... read more

Reviewed 4 November 2020

from US$139.00
from US$74.81
from US$129.00
More Info
All reviews extra anejo don julio flavored tequilas tasting room aguacate love tequila ve tasted tasting experience bought bottles tequila distillery botanical gardens zip line reposado ancho factory jalisco pv
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Bought the extra anejo. You can't get this quality and delicious tequila for third of the price in the USA. Sure they may seem like gimmick tourist trap tequila tasting but you will miss out on a great opportunity to buy premium extra anejo tequila that tastes insane for a low price. Can't buy in USA with all the local liquor laws. Only wish I got two instead of one. About to run out and can't get another anywhere. I'm from Virginia and only thing I can get is Don Julio anejo for twice the price and half the quality. Yuck. Seriously, it's legit.

Date of experience: November 2013
2  Thank mdpaulee
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We came to Puerto Vallarta with the intention (among many) to find Baston Del Rey distillery without the benefit of a tour operator or taking the taxi. After an arduous online search for accurate directions, using patience, perseverance and charm to overcome my meager Spanish, we finally find the right bus to take us to Cabo Corrientes.
Lady luck was with us as we met a lovely lady who willingly offered to walk us to the distillery. The 15-20 minute walk uphill on a dusty cobblestone country road under the noon day sun was no small feat for two senior urbanites who listened to the lively chatter of "Maria"(not her real name). Passing by a truck of military police gave us a bit of comfort that we were not going to nowhere, (not that I doubted the warm hospitality of the Mexicans).
Finally, we reach our destination and we were very warmly greeted by the owners...."Maria" happens to be one of the family! After the requisite greetings and explanations of how and why she came with us, her nephew "Tony" whisked us to a tasting table and afforded us a private lesson 101 on tequila making. There were a group of tourists from a cruise ship, but Tony stayed with us patiently answering all my questions as I sampled the different flavours of Almond, chocolate, and mandarin and coffee liqueur tequila. Then I get to the "real deal".....first the "blanco" 6 month old tequila, then "reposado" which is 18 months, then "anejo" which is aged three years or more. The anejo comes in a uniquely packaged square bottle and the "signature" taste is definitely one of a kind. You gotta taste it to believe it! I am not a tequila drinker so won't even profess to give a description. Suffice it is to say, that for a newbie to drinking, I became somewhat of an aficionado rather quickly.
It was pleasing to see and learn how this artisanal distillery is still, under present day competition, owned and operated by the third generation of family members dedicated to keeping the business small and true to its roots. We came as unexpected strangers and we were treated like royalty.....what more can you ask?!

Date of experience: January 2014
4  Thank bedazzledchic
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Our tour guide offered to take us here, so we went. Nothing they have there appears to be actually in use, they are very enthusiastic in telling you how they make tequila there but there is no evidence that it is actually being made there or grown there!
There are however cages and cages full of fighting cocks, that they must fight or sell for fighting. There were lots of shady characters there too. Not a very pleasant place to visit and the Tequila is VERY expensive...much more than some of the very best I've seen...and they were suggesting we could use it to marinde food with it!
I've visited many distilleries and winery's around the world. This place is a sham!!!!!

Date of experience: September 2013
25  Thank travelnpants54
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We went from the hotel district on a city tour of Puerta Vallarta and this little distillery was one of our last stops.. OMG.. Now I'm back in Wisconsin, trying to figure out just HOW to try to buy more of this amazing tequila.. The hosts were fabulous, the grounds were family friendly, and we just had a BLAST learning about the whole manufacturing, growing, and bottling of this family owned distillery.. And I bought the reserve, cuz I KNOW I CANNOT find anything comparable.. Only wish I could order it online somehow to get MORE so I wasn't so selfish with who I can share it with.. :) THE BEST!!

Date of experience: May 2013
1  Thank theblonde65
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Pablo was an excellent host. Very good clear and precise explanation of the tequilla manufacturing process. The square bottle is worth the money and I want to buy more. I'm from Canada and having a bit of trouble contacting Baston Del Rey...worst comes to worse I'm just gonna have to make another trip down!!! Very good Tequila!!!!

Date of experience: December 2012