Estrella Del Mar Resort Mazatlan
  • Restaurant
Hotel la Siesta(Mazatlan)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsturtle sanctuaryrobert trent jonespiece of paradisesurf fishingcasa clubgolden zonebedroom condostone islandsecluded beachfull kitchenbeautiful propertyper dayshrimpedmoceanresortvacation
Reviewed 26 November 2016

I stayed at the Estrella del Mar (EDM as they call it) for 6 nights in early November on a first ever visit to Mazatlan. EDM is just a short drive/cab ride (15 minutes) from the airport at the end of the paved road off of highway 15. EDM is actually a large compound dominated by a well maintained golf course, a club house, a resort hotel (where I stayed) and currently 3 phases of 3 story condominiums along with some single family dwellings. The eastern side of the compound is delineated by a roughly 10 ft high stone wall with a single entrance gate that is manned 24/7. The western side is open to the beach. The place is well maintained by the small army of locals who work there. English was not a problem during my stay as everyone there seems to have at least a working level of English. Everyone I ran into was friendly and helpful.

My room was quite spacious made up of essentially two rooms: one large room with the closets, TV and 2 queen sized beds, and a large bathroom with separate sections for a full size bathtub, shower, sink and vanity and toilet. Like is typical in Mexico, stone tile was in abundance throughout. The room was air conditioned as was the hotel and clubhouse.

I ate a lunch and a breakfast at the hotel and a lunch at the clubhouse. I was informed that the cuisine and service had been improved recently due to feedback from the snowbird residents. All of my meals were good and the menu was extensive - so there were many entrees to choose from.

When I was there the place was essentially deserted. Apparently the snowbirds from the northern US and Canada show up later in November and stay through the early part of the next year. No doubt the place would have felt very different had there been other people there.

Because of a very favorable peso to dollar exchange rate (20:1), the cost of the hotel and the restaurants were very reasonable.

Overall: This is a place to go to to get away from it all. On site you can golf, hang out at the pool, wander up and down the long beautiful beach, eat and sleep. Sunsets were truly exceptional. Mazatlan is about a 35 minute drive away. The weather while I was there was apparently unseasonably warm for the first week in November - which meant it was very hot and very humid from 9am to 10pm. I would estimate it was 95 degrees and around 95% humidity. A generous sized hat was mandatory for me as was sunscreen. I was told the weather cools off dramatically in mid to late November.

Room Tip: top floor facing west
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Silicon_Valley_Guy1
Reviewed 7 November 2016 via mobile

Estrella Del Mar is an excellent retirement community. Even if you don't golf, you are surrounded by such beauty...the beach, the sunsets, and a great community of owners from Mexico, Canada, USA and even France. The EDM staff makes everyone feel welcome, we are all like family.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ronpogue907
Reviewed 26 October 2016 via mobile

Our plane got delayed so we had to stay another night.
We picked this place because is relatively close to the airport.
It was a good deal since it is the low season. We had half a day to enjoy the beach. The room is pretty, and the beach was awesome just for us no one there.
Room service is good and very fast. Would definitely come back.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2016 via mobile

Wonderful find on Trip Advisor. Near airport with terrific accommodations. Highly recommend. Staff very friendly and are bilingual. We were here in the off season so we virtually had exclusive use of the staff

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2016 via mobile

This place was a terrific find! We came in the off season on our way to Puerto Vallarta by car. Looked in TripAdvisor and reviewed all previous reviews. Google maps is not accurate but once found it was an Oasis. Follow signs to the Mazatlan Airport south of tow and you will be there. Planning to visit again

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple