“Disappointed”

Waterfront Cafe bar bistro
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Benson
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The award winning Waterfront Cafe is situated in the heart of rural Oxfordshire, perched on the banks of the River Thames at Benson.The cafe is open seven days a week throughout the year serving food all day. During the summer months (April-September) the evening bistro is open Tuesday - Sunday evening until 10pm - Mondays 8am until 6pm.The idyllic setting makes it a perfect place to watch the stunning sunsets over the river with a glass of wine.Opening at 8am the cafe is ready to serve the early risers breakfast. A traditional full English, Eggs benedict, bacon sandwich,freshly baked Croissants and Danish pastries are just some of the choices available. Daily homemade specials are excellent value and always popular with the regulars. Alternatively we offer our all day menu with a wide range of homemade favorites, lighter plates and freshly baked baguettes which can always be taken away for those on a tight schedule.The cafe is also renowned for its impressive selection of homemade cakes and desserts and is popular with those with a sweet tooth. Ice creams or cream teas can also be enjoyed on the large patio - weather permitting!During the summer months the evening bistro comes alive and offers an additional menu which allows our chefs to showcase their culinary talents.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On Monday I took a friend for lunch . I had been before and thoroughly enjoyed my food. This time we both chose Roast Beef and I feel it may have been Sunday Lunch reheated apart from Yorkshire pudding. The beef was tough but the roast pots were disgusting. I would have complained but my friend is an elderly lady who doesn't go out much and I didn't want to spoil her treat. Lovely views of the River and very attentive staff.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This place is in a lovely spot, the only drawback of that is that it's a very busy place. We had to queue for over 15 minutes to place an order then we had to wait over an hour for the food to be served so if you want to grab a quick meal it will be kinda hard at this place. Its best to allocate plenty of time to eat and drink and just enjoy the riverside location.
The food is very nice but not amazing, we had the chilli and mango prawns which were very small they seemed to be hollow but there was a very small prawn in the coating. We also had the hallomi salad which was really nice, the only drawback was I was going to put on some balsamic vinegar. I checked it was the real deal, put a little on my plate just incase it wasn't and found that it had been adulterated with malt vinegar obviously to make it go further YUCK. Thank goodness I didn't put it on my meal. This place is not cheap, the food is nice but not amazing the service is friendly but extremely slow, as it was a very hot weekend and obviously didn't have enough staff for the amount of covers. So all in all a mixed bag for me, nice staff, nice food, lovely location, nice comfy chairs with big umbrellas to keep off rain, but very pricey for small portions, long waits and poor show with the condiments. One other lovely thing about this place is the walk from Wallingford along the river to get here.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Attended a private function here. The setting is beautiful. A hot and cold buffet was served which was excellent. Staff efficient and friendly. Would definitely return again.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My partner and I have stayed in one of the lodges at Benson Waterfront for 4 nights this week. We've had a lunchtime meal, 3 breakfasts and an evening meal here. All have been delicious. The staff were all friendly and efficient. Even at busy times there was never a long wait for the food. We didn't have any desserts but the cakes all looked lovely and we saw that there were ice lollies available. There is lots of places to sit both inside and out and plenty of space between tables. I would recommend this place!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Met family for a quick lunch. Stunning hot day so the place was swarming with long queues to place your order. To be fair, it was an unexpectedly hot day and people just flocked here. But they coped and the food was outstanding. Had the best steak I've had in a long time, a great lean cut, beautifully grilled and amazingly tender. That's all you need to know! :-)