All reviews warm welsh cakes front of house michelin star tasting menu restaurant with rooms food and wine fresh milk wye valley poached eggs dinner bed and breakfast local ingredients black pudding quiet location lamb breakfast was delicious chef chris the great british menu
Reviewed 22 October 2018

From the moment we stepped inside, we felt welcome. Lazarus checked us in, carried our bags to the room and returned with warm Welsh cakes and a bottle of cold milk.

The hotel is isolated but the rooms are modern with good WiFi (important for city slickers like us who don’t like being too far away from it all). Everything demonstrated careful thought: the furnishings, the organic toiletries, the selection of teas and the restaurant .... wow!

A special mention for the staff who were all lovely.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank DeconstructedReviews
Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

This was a new menu and it was fantastic.
After the hors d’eve I had the brown crab followed by the “local kid”, locally sourced of course, as Lazarus said. Anyway the taste of the kid was delicious, loads of nice flavour, best I’ve had there so far. I followed up with the raspberry mouse, again delicious. My wife was pleased with her choices of the Duck Liver Parfait with gooseberry, the Kid and the violet parfait, complete with merangue antlers! Each course is preempted with an hors d’eave.
I hope all goes well for Chris on The BBC’s Great British Menu.

Date of stay: September 2018
1  Thank DiserningByNature
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

I can’t fully explain how great this place is. The food is outstandingly brilliant. The service is friendly and perfect. The venue is authentic and surrounded by stunning views. The whole experience is just incredible.

We booked a last minute stay and if I’m being totally honest I didn’t have high expectations. I thought the food would be great but everything else would just be ok. I was wrong as it was all brilliant.

Given my recent stays in big Asian 5* hotels (see my recent reviews) you couldn’t get much different. An 8 bedroom ‘restaurant with rooms’. If every restaurant with rooms was like this I wouldn’t want to stay in a 5* hotel again.

So, I’ll start with the the food. We did the 7 course menu and every single course was fantastic, interesting and delicious. I couldn’t fault a thing about it.

The room was great. We stayed in room 1. A large bedroom, modern bathroom, nice tea’s and coffee, lovely views. Comfortable and just what you want.

The service was 5*, friendly, knowledgable, unobtrusive, attentive and the perfect complement to the venue.

I’m telling everyone I know that they must go, so you should go.

Date of stay: May 2018
3  Thank M4184IJpauls
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed for a single night with dinner and breakfast included. For a property in an isolated setting the room we had was very comfortable. The furnishings were modern and of a high spec, and Wi-Fi internet access was available to overcome the lack of a mobile telephone signal. The service we couldn’t fault, from the welcome and the tea and coffee making facilities in the room with complimentary home made biscuits, to the departure. The accommodation was definitely in keeping with the quality of the restaurant.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank 28richardg
Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

Just had 3 course lunch on a cold winter’s day.
Great tasting food and the sommelier, Francis, recommended some great wines. As usual for a fine dining restaurant, the pre-starter coquettes and the “fizzy” mouth cleanser after the mains were really good. Choice of 2 starters, 2 mains, and 2 desserts worked well.
Would definitely recommend this place.

Date of stay: February 2018