All reviews day pass cruise ship st croix continental breakfast new owners an umbrella small pool the entire staff rum punch sea view suite lounge chairs the water was crystal clear small hotel off season full kitchen laid back the entire island
Reviewed 16 June 2008

I stayed at this hotel during the beginning of June with my husband; I had selected the hotel for the price and the pictures they had shown of the beach. I even cross referenced the hotel with its main web site and; I had believed there was a Catch 22 somewhere in the deal but when we got there and checked in we realized that there was none.

The staff was all very friendly and had personality unlike some hotel staff I have delt with prior to this (and we have seen some nightmares before). The housekeeping was very efficient and thorough they didn’t have a set time because they may or may not have to spend a lot of time on the rooms before ours, depending on how the guests treated the room.

They had an exceptional Continental Breakfast with homemade muffins of different kinds and other pastries; the kitchen was also open for breakfast; however it is closed Tuesday and Wednesday. Everyone needs a break and there are different restraunts within a mile of the hotel. The Food at the restraunt was wonderful and we ate there for dinner every night of our stay (it really is that good), the service was excellent and it was fun to watch the chameleons playing cliffhanger on the awning while eating.

The Beach was beautiful and the only people on the “Hotels Beach” were the other guests, a few times people who were snorkeling swam through the water in front of the hotel but you can't own water, and it is a great big ocean. But you can’t fault the locals for wanting to enjoy the beach, did I mention its beauty.

Date of stay: June 2008
5  Thank ryuzuki06
Reviewed 1 June 2008

We booked our stay for the memorial day week. The first disappoinment w/ sand castle is the fact that some sites do not specify that it is a Gay and lesbian friendly resort. It wouldn't have changed our booking, but is useful information to those who might not be as comfomfortable with their family or children at this type of resort. The back pool is clothing optional,and was used as such. If you are not staying in their suites, don't bother w/the sand castle. There are two seperate room areas, one on the beach as suites and the other across the street. The beach is far from private was usually occupied w/ very loud locals . "Bumping" loud music out of their cars seems to be the favorite past time. Not the romantic vacation we had envisioned There is constant cars and loud music . The area itself is in fredristead which is very run down area. The pools are small and unkept, the property itself was not maintained . There was hoses, rakes, and wet floor signs left out all over. Some of the staff live in the room across the street. No one wears a uniform , so you have no idea who to ask for anything. The restaurant is close on tues and wed. Our room wasn't cleaned until 4pm, and thats with hounding the front desk. There are no phones in the room, so you have to walk to the desk for everything. The back rooms had plastic cups, dirty towels, poor water pressure, and the bedding was about 10 yrs too old. You can find much better for the price ! The size of the room they gave us was a joke. I could not fit a third Person in the room if I tried. No pics on the wall just plain white , very depressing. The air conditioner barely kept the very small room cool. Upon check in we had to lug our bags to the rooms ourselves , only to be told the room wasn't clean yet and lug it back to the office. The so called gym was a small room w/bowflex and a old treadmill. Our check in was Sunday, and by monday afternoon we were on the phone w/expedia trying to get out of this nightmare.

Date of stay: May 2008
3  Thank Rohbla
Reviewed 11 May 2008

There are several things you need to know before you book this hotel:

1) The continental breakfast is very skimpy --- juice/coffee and a muffin. That's it.

2) On Sundays, whomever is next to the hotel on the right side hosts a no-holds-barred music jam that starts around noon and goes at least until 7 pm. The "music" is so loud that you have absolutely no way of escaping it regardless of which room you are in. Sitting on the wonderful , peaceful beach in front of the hotel that others have described becomes impossible because of the "music". Unless you really enjoy the noise (certainly NOT why we went there on vacation) you should not book for a Sunday or you should plan on leaving the hotel all day.

3) The hotel is split in to two parts -- the ocean side of the street and the "other" side of the street. The accomodations on the "other" side of the street are not that great -- a little ratty.

4) The accomodations on the "other" side of the street are very noisy. Roosters will awaken you starting at 4 a.m. and continuing for 3-4 hours. That's charming the first day and annoying thereafter. Other noise occurs over there, including bad road noise continuously (especially on Sundays) until things settle down at 9-10 p.m.

5) Although the hotel setting is nice, don't plan on Fredericksted providing any form of entertainment or sightseeing opportunities. It's downright scary over there. The hotel is far enough removed to not be affected much but don't plan on the town as a source of food/entertainment.

6) The bedding was horrible --- the mattresses are wrapped in plastic (for sanitary reasons??) and are very uncomfortable to sleep in.

7) When the above was expressed to management, they offered rooms on the other side of the street (the ocean side) for $50/nite more --- even though the rooms were empty they would not move us as compensation for the above issues.

Date of stay: May 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank bw91344
Reviewed 4 March 2008

A peaceful tropical escape, a true gem.

This was probably the most relaxed vacation I have ever had. I was looking for a destination to vacation alone and chill-out. I found it at the Sandcastle. I wanted to get away and mellow out and found myself making friends with many of the other guests. The property’s proprietors, Sheryl and Simone along with their wonderful staff made me feel at home. This was a “service-oriented” resort.

I initially booked my reservation on Travelocity and there was an issue with my reservation and was called back to say the room wasn’t available. I then called the hotel directly and they were quick to resolve the issue with Travelocity.

My room was clean and the housekeeping was excellent. The property had two very nice and clean pools. My room was equipped with a full kitchen but I still I ate one lunch and one dinner at the restaurant and the meals were delicious. The continental breakfast was limited but there were breads, juices and coffee. Every morning I walked about fifty steps to the restaurant for my coffee and sat facing the ocean as I did my morning meditation. I didn’t realize it when I booked my trip, but the St Croix Beach Cam is located on the roof of the restaurant. What you see on the cam is what you see from the restaurant.

The place was relatively quiet except for on Saturday night when the locals were playing their music down the road. But I just closed my window and turned on the AC.

Frederiksted is run-down in spots but so are many other places in the Caribbean. I liked the fact that there wasn’t a huge population of people. While there was some of that Caribbean "element" in town, there wasn't that local 'buy-from-me" or "ride in my taxi" atmosphere at all. In fact I didn't find one local "outdoor market". I did find a healthy smoothie stand in the rain forest (and bought some freshly harvested honey), and when in Christensted I found a local woman set up a table on the street selling her homemade fares (I bought some cookies and her home-made hot-sauce).

Overall I was in awe of the beauty of the islands’ secluded beaches. I rarely saw more than 10 people on a beach and most times there weren't any people around. The hotel beach was superb and there was very nice snorkeling as well. I do recommend renting a car to see the island and the Buck Island National Park sail and Snorkel tour. I also recommend finding your way to Sandy Point Beach. If you like seclusion, sand and waves this beach is the best!!!

Date of stay: February 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
6  Thank lllevos
Reviewed 1 March 2008

The hotel
Stayed the first night in a studio 202 which may have been a bit small for our taste so we upgraded to suite 207. Very clean, comfortable and worth the extra money if you can afford it. Patio facing the beach was nice to enjoy morning coffee before starting the day. The two windows along both sides of the king size bed were great for cross breeze and beautiful views of the garden. Never even thought about using the air conditioner. The kitchen is equipped with everything except food. From a toaster to a muffin pan. We went out to buy dish detergent just to find some under the sink when I got back.

The Restaurant
The first day we had the small, (more than enough for one person) Caesars salad; it was a great. The next time we made reservation and we had such a good time with the waitress that she sat down for a minute because we were having such an enjoyable time talking, but not overbearing. It was like we were old friends catching up. The prices might be a bit steep for some but heck, you’re on vacation . We also enjoyed the rib eye steak and bbq ribs that were on the cookout menu were great.

The Gym
Their gym policy is a little different. You must make an appointment with the trainer prior to use of any equipment. It is a requirement so if you‘re a gym nut like I am, schedule your appointment on your arrival. The tour was relatively quick. The gym is equipped with a BoFlex, Treadmill etc…It was explained to me that a tour was necessary for liability reasons. Totally Understandable!

The beach
I believe the water may be the most beautiful I have ever seen. It was as clear as drinking water. The sand was a little rough but bearable nonetheless. Never had a problem getting a lounge chair, always plentiful. There is a public beach next to the SCOTB, but to my surprise it wasn’t a problem. As a matter of fact I enjoyed seeing the that the people of the island can still appreciate what I traveled hundreds of miles to enjoy.

The staff
From check-in to check-out never had a problem. Service was top notch , as good as any 5 star hotel, maybe even better than some I‘ve stayed in. Everyone we encountered appeared as if they wanted to be there. Not because it was there J O B.

All in all I’ve never choose the same hotel after the first visit, but maybe I have been searching for something and didn’t know it. Well I am happy to say I found what I never knew I was even looking for. Thank you, Sand Castle On The Beach.

Date of stay: February 2008