1,568 results
All reviews mermaid beach golf course grotto pool ocean front great house buck island st croix jogging trail family cottage main building concierge desk oceanfront room tennis courts rum punch sugar mill beautiful resort every morning
Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

From the time we arrived until the moment we left we thoroughly enjoyed our time at The Buccaneer. The breakfast buffet had a nice variety of choices with a rotating breakfast special each day. The omelette chefs were amazing and all the attendants refreshing the buffet were friendly. I have to say I am a grits fan, and don’t eat anyone’s except family, whoever makes the grits there is an amazing cook! I ate grits everyday I could, they were that good. Kathleen and all the staff in the restaurant were accommodating and kind every day. All guest services staff were polite and helpful. We used the shuttle back and forth from our room and they all were nice and made great conversation. The pool and beach (Grotto) were kept well and the attendant there was also very hospitable. My advice is to always read their daily paper at breakfast, as it shows what upcoming events are happening at the hotel. This will allow you to plan for classes or excursions at hotel or around island. Try to make it to the Tuesday manager reception. The hotel owner and GM, Elizabeth Armstrong hosts this reception for guests right next to the old sugar mill, and it was a very nice event. She talks with all her guests and gives some history on the hotel and island, a very gracious and warm hostess. There is shuttle that you can call for if you need for trips up the hill for breakfast or to the reception or spa, it was greatly helpful for me. Snorkeling and beach items were available complimentary for guest use, a big plus since the water is so gorgeous you can’t help but get in. I can’t say enough good about my stay and can’t think of a negative that I experienced while there. The Bucanneer is a idyllic location you should experience when in St. Croix.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank NiekaL
Reviewed 20 August 2018

I visited St Croix for the first time and decided to stay at this hotel, which turned out to be the best decision! the scenery around the property is absolutely amazing. Great service, attentive staff, activities scheduled daily, FREE WIFI. Whenever I am back in St Croix i will be staying here again for sure.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank 02regina
Reviewed 16 August 2018

This place is great. From the food to the staff to the view. The golf course isn't too shabby either. Definitely one of the top places to stay on St. Croix. The grounds are incredibly nice and the beaches are beautiful.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Zandor23
Reviewed 8 August 2018

I stayed at The Buccaneer from July 20-26, 2018. I use a manual wheelchair and have no ability to walk, so my mom and I were assigned to room 352, which is one of the wheelchair accessible rooms and is very close to Mermaid Beach. Although the bed in the room was so high that I could not transfer into it (I slept on the couch for the week) and the shower door did not open wide enough for me to access the shower, our room was otherwise very comfortable. We had a roll-under sink and a pedestal sink in the huge bathroom. The toilet was the required ADA height and had sufficient grab bars, so transfers there were no issue. I liked being close (about 50 yards across flat, paved sidewalk) to Mermaid Beach because they have a beach wheelchair for guests to use. The attendants at Mermaid Beach - Bethany, Ortiz, Dion and CJ - were extremely helpful in getting me transferred from my wheelchair into the beach chair, and they even helped me get into and out of the water so I could snorkel on my own. One of the reasons I stayed at The Buccaneer is because they have the beach wheelchair, and I am forever grateful to the staff who helped me enjoy it.

The grounds at The Buccaneer are very hilly. This makes for a beautiful setting, and thankfully, a courtesy shuttle (minivan) is available to transport guests around the resort. I was not able to transfer into and out of the minivan, but the drivers never complained about lifting me in and out or dealing with my wheelchair. Our room was at the bottom of the hill, close to the beach, so each morning when we wanted to go up to "the great house", which is where breakfast is served, we called to request the shuttle. Our wait was typically 5 minutes until we were picked up.

We did not rent a car, so our ventures to Christiansted, Frederiksted, and Point Udall were all made in a taxi. The taxis on St. Croix are all 14 passenger vans, which again, I am not able to transfer into and out of, so the driver we liked and used the most - Francis Didier - did a lot of lifting over the week. From The Buccaneer it takes about 10 minutes to get to downtown Christiansted, 20-30 minutes to Point Udall, and about 45 minutes to Frederiksted. All are worth seeing - Point Udall is very scenic and is a beautiful place to take pictures, and the waterfront in Frederiksted is gorgeous. Frederiksted has more curb cuts and seemed to be more wheelchair friendly than Christiansted, but I also liked the boardwalk at Christiansted's harbor.

One thing I highly recommend doing at The Buccaneer is attending the owner's cocktail reception on Tuesday evening. This was a fun and informative event held at the sugar mill outside the reception area. Mom and I were impressed at how knowledgeable and genuine Elizabeth Armstrong, the owner and GM, is. In addition to enjoying steel pan music, two Moko Jumbies came and did a short performance and then posed for pictures with guests. This was undoubtedly one of the highlights of our trip.

Breakfast at The Buccaneer was the best meal. It is served each morning buffett-style (bagels and pastries, cereal, yogurt, eggs, omelet station, pancakes, fresh fruit and juice, potatoes, etc...) in the restaurant at the great house. We also ate lunch at The Mermaid Grill (sandwiches, salads, desserts), and our sandwiches were okay. Dining is, of course, open air, which means there are dirty, pesky birds hanging around. I would love to see The Buccaneer join the list of resorts that use falcons or other birds of prey to keep the pigeons and other pests away.

Overall, we were very comfortable at The Buccaneer, and Mom and I both have fond memories of the people we met and our time on St. Croix.

Date of stay: July 2018
2  Thank Kris G
Reviewed 7 August 2018

We knew of the Buccaneer from a visit to St Croix about 25 years ago, although we had never stayed there before. We did not expect as much as we got, but by the time we left we were totally pleased. Everything was exceptional. We had good quality and clean linens in our room each day. The food was excellent and the service was impeccable. The staff were seriously friendly and obviously well managed. One has to praise the owner and general manager, Elizabeth Armstrong, for her knowledge and attention to detail and also her immediate staff who are well chosen. We came away from a fantasy vacation completely refreshed before returning to the real world.

Room tip: All rooms are good.
Date of stay: July 2018