All reviews big house housekeeping staff virgin islands beautiful beach anita ft tortola caribbean porch dock waves hurricane
Reviewed 2 June 2018

Storm damage aside, this place is not worth $300/night. The bed was very uncomfortable (fitted sheet, flat sheet, and one thin blanket), cheap amenities (tp, soap...), poorly appointed "kitchen." Broken (or no) windows and mirrors in the room and bathroom (we reported a broken behind-the-door mirror, that was about to fall and crash, to management several times - it's still there, barley hanging on). We couldn't swim in the pool - due to the brown film on the bottom.
This property is not close to any shops, restaurants, or stores, so we had to take a cab every time we needed something - at $55 a ride per couple, each way.
The internet/wi-fi rarely, if ever, worked. There is a large barking dog that lives on the property - pretty scary welcome. The restaurant is closed. Construction was underway our entire 3-day visit, starting before 7am each morning.
Again, much of this is due to post-storm issues, but the advertising of this place is absolutely false.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Wendi D
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Stayed here in May 2018. Loved every minute of it. Still have some work to go to recover from Hurricane but have no doubt it will all be done. Room was huge. Screen door out to porch. Loved sitting there listening to waves 10 feet from the water. Beautiful views. The people working here were great. Rita at front desk is a jewel.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank CO514557
Fort R, Owner at Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

Fort Recovery thanks you, Rita thanks you. Yes, she is quite special. And does enjoy helping people to negotiate around the island. Yes we have progressed quite a bit since you left and should have our restaurant and bar open by August. Thank you once again and the staff thanks you.

Kindest regards,
Anita

Reviewed 17 May 2018

At home, with the people I love on the sparkling turquoise waters of The Sir Francis Drake Channel.
I felt a satisfaction that delighted me, when arriving at Fort Recovery again. My place of comfort and peace for over 25 years.
For me, it was a far greater pleasure than ordering another pair of shoes, or a new dress.
It was a different awakening after the destructive hurricane last fall. It was the gleam in everyone's eyes that warmed my heart. I was home, and they were there, and well.
The hibiscus were fiercely blooming as well as other plants and trees, all coming along nicely after the storm.
Lots of good quality construction going on and the villas that were ready are perfect.
The Fort stood as grand as ever, not even scratched by the hurricane.
A reminder: Believe that we never loose everything, and something exists on the other side.
There was an unusual abundance of Butterflies dancing all around, reminding me of my own personal metamorphosis.
All the birds are back, as well as the tropical fish. Great snorkeling! And swimming daily.
I keep a low profile and I am very content just being there and getting into my artwork, collecting gifts from the sea and making nice items. I have everything I need, right there.
Even a spa on site for a wonderful massage, hairstyle, or nails done.
I can walk to the small grocery store and great bakery that also has cooked fish, chicken, and other sides, made fresh.
Visitors of Fort Recovery usually rent a car. Or take cabs. There are lots of restaurants and stores are open., also vendors selling fresh fruits and vegetables in town outside on the sidewalks.
Driving the Island of Tortola is heaven on earth, with stunning view and lots of beautiful beaches. You may see donkeys or goats hanging out.
There is lots to do and plenty of other Islands to sail or boat to, with dining as well.
Everyone is working hard to make things proper. And they are friendly and helpful.

To Anita ( owner ) and staff, a big thank you from the bottom if my heart. I love you all.
The place looks amazing!
I miss it already.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
4  Thank twolightsseaglass
Reviewed 29 March 2018

This lodging property is not yet ready for guests. They charge full off-season rates, and charge your card for your full stay upon arrival!!! There is no internet, except at the office and 2 of the villas, no cable TV, no food, no fitness center. Electrical wiring hangs exposed from ceilings and walls. Glass and building materials lay strewn along beach and walking areas. Running water to villas is non-existent for hours. Hot water was not available in our villa for 24 hours. We did not have a key to lock our villa for several hours after arrival. Management promoted "readiness" of the pool for our arrival, but it was under repair. This property is still under extensive repair. Only the 3-bedroom villas have been updated. Electrical outlets don't all work. Lights in kitchen did not function, so we used our cell phone flashlights after dark. A/C did function properly throughout stay. Management is difficult to work with and unashamedly reminded us they were doing us a favor accommodating us! I have never encountered lodging management with such a defiant attitude. The staff, on the other hand, were delightful and helpful. I would not recommend this property as an option for a friend to stay. The setting is beautiful, with ocean views from each villa.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
13  Thank tosharewithyou
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Not knowing what to expect post Irma we were extremely satisfied as we were warmly greeted by staff to a beautiful place we called home for 10 days. Minor things not completed (light fixtures, etc) and pool was finished while we were there. However, all necessities were available and kind/helpful staff literally worked from sun up, into the night to make this place vacation ready. Anita, Rita, George and McCauley were amazingly helpful. We were also so appreciative of all of the kind housekeeping staff who worked so hard to make everything perfect!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family