All reviews outdoor shower all inclusive package jost van dyke beach restaurant cocktail party suzette boutique hotel island tour deluxe room west end our honeymoon main restaurant apple bay private beach each evening lobster breakfast and dinner
Reviewed 25 March 2017

My partner and I have just returned from our second vacation at the Sugar Mill (we were there in 2016 around the same time). We absolutely adore this place, the people who own it and work there, and the island. This is truly an amazing vacation spot. We did the all-inclusive option again and never tired of the wonderful food and service. The breakfasts are great and hearty (but there are some wonderful healthy and light options). The lunches are amazing and served right on the beach (I loved, loved, loved, the coconut, carrot, and ginger soup I had one day). The dinners are simply extraordinary and the menu is huge so you never feel like you run out of choices. Favorites of mine were the Tuna Tartar and the Farmer and Fisherman (Surf and Turf). One wouldn't expect steak to be great in the islands (or something you would necessarily want there) but I had to have it several nights. It's that good. The catch of the day is always wonderful (my partner loves it and had it a few times, blackened). The wine list is incredible and we loved having a drink at the bar before (and sometimes after) dinner talking with the lovely Vicki and Sharon (who helps to manage the place with grace and style). It should be noted that the people who stay here are really friendly and we were delighted to strike up really nice vacation relationships with a number of other folks in residence at the hotel around the same time. Mary and Dennis are superb hosts, very welcoming and gracious and I think they contribute to an atmosphere that makes it possible for people to relax and chat at the bar, at dinner, and on the hotel-sponsored excursions. They make us feel very welcome and we can't thank them enough for the hospitality. So many at the Sugar Mill made the stay special, including the wonderful chef Bernard, Chermaine and Suzette at lunch and breakfast, Abiola at the front desk, and, really, all the wonderful staff (sorry for not naming everyone).

While many guests rent cars to travel the island, we don't. We love hanging out by the lovely beach and the pool. We went on the boat trip that the hotel organized (really great with a wonderful picnic lunch) and went out on an excursion on Lionheart (a very nice charter for a sail and a snorkel). Traveling around the island is fun but, if you're looking to relax, doing what we did works just fine.

We may not be able to return next year for family reasons but we plan on going back to the Sugar Mill time and again in the years to come. A true gem, really....

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pdesland
Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

I spent 2 nights here during New Year's eve weekend but have previously stayed at the hotel back in 2011. The hotel is now under new ownership. The setting is still as beautiful as it was in the past with all of the lush tropical plants, flowers, and trees throughout the property combined with views of the turquoise water and the sound of the waves. The setting is truly idyllic.

We were greeted warmly by many of the longtime staff members but the new owners left a negative impression on us and the couple seemed quite overwhelmed and frazzled. We witnessed them yelling at the hard working staff a few times during our stay, especially during the Caribbean BBQ buffet dinner at the beachfront restaurant on Friday night. We enjoyed the quality and variety of food very much and dining at sunset at the open air beachfront restaurant was really nice. We were however VERY DISTURBED by the hotel's use of disposable PLASTC plates and plastic silverware for this buffet dinner. PLASTIC is terrible for the environment and it is ruining our oceans. I brought this to the attention of our server and also told one of the owners that evening of my concern. It was truly heartbreaking to see this on an island we love so much and that needs help preserving the environment. I hope the new owners will reconsider the impact of plastic on our oceans and make a conscious effort to limit the hotel's use of plastic disposable products.

Because we booked last minute on a busy holiday weekend, we had to stay in two different rooms for our two nights stay but both were immaculately clean and luxurious. I highly recommend staying here and I would definitely return. I hope the new owners will rethink the environmental impact their decisions can have and take steps to improve by ending the use of disposable plastic plates and plastic silverware at the beachfront restaurant buffet dinners or any of their events.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hobiecatsailor
Reviewed 16 March 2017 via mobile

My husband and I booked the Sugar Mill hotel for an all inclusive honeymoon week. The owners Mary and Dennis sure know how to make you feel welcome. The food in the restaurant is phenomenal. I tried something new every night and was never disappointed. The outdoor shower in our room was paradise. We loved our stay here. The staff was also very friendly.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kelly M
Reviewed 16 March 2017 via mobile

This was the perfect honeymoon! We stayed 7 nights and did the all inclusive. The food was incredible and never disappointed. Don't miss the BBQ on Friday night! The beach in front of the hotel is beautiful and relaxing. Mary and Dennis were the ultimate hosts. We loved our room and look forward to making a return trip in the future! The day trips were well organized and a pleasure. I don't think I could find a better place to have spent the honeymoon!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tylerl264
Reviewed 15 March 2017

My Wife and I stayed at the Sugar Mill for our Honeymoon for 7 amazing nights!!! We chose to do the all inclusive package and it was 5 stars across the board! Our room was perfect, great views of the ocean and the sound was great to fall asleep too. Large bathroom with double vanity so we were able to get ready at the same time which is nice. Nice large shower as well with great water pressure unlike what other reviews have claimed. Only downside of the room was the king bed was made up of two twin beds pushed together which left a little seam down the center. Having been well traveled this didn't bother us too much as you have to keep in mind you're on a remote island and there aren't furniture stores around every corner like in the states... The property has a nice quaint beach with super comfortable beach chairs and awesome apple lounges (thanks now my wife is trying to buy one online for our pool area). The bar and lunch restaurant are conveniently located next to the beach area. The bar and dinner area are amazing. Great views and great décor! The food was incredible from breakfeast, lunch, and dinner. Before arriving I thought we would tire of eating off the same menu for 7 days. That wasn't the case at all, every meal was 5 star, I didn't leave a crumb on my plate for any meal. Two thumbs up the the Chef for sure! The staff was great as well! Very friendly and welcoming always smiling... Dennis and Mary are great as well, made us feel at home and were very insightful on things to do on our trip. Definitely will be returning sooner than later. Also if you surf there is a really fun wave a short walk down the road...

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frankie S
sugarmillbvi, Sugar Mill Team at Sugar Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2017

Thank you for your review Frank and you are now a star on our website showing us how to ride the Apple Wave. We have rooms with both twin and full King Beds and we do make up kings by fixing the two twins together. Most perhaps would not worry but maybe honeymooners would prefer a full king.

We wish you and your lovely wife the best of everything and look forward to seeing you again soon.