Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
prholst
Perth, Australia

Good option for staying long or short term in Grenada

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 1 Dec 2013
Our stay in St George's Grenada in July and August 2013 was made very enjoyable by us staying at Caribbean Breeze. For our stay, we had the self contained cottage and it provided everything we needed.

Caribbean Breeze is run very well by Sue who takes a lot of pride in what she offers her guests and made us feel very welcome. The property contains Sue's own residence (which always has an open door for a chat, drink or one of her special 'rum punch'), two large self contained apartments under the main house with their own separate entries and the stand alone cottage. The cottage is on two levels. The top level contained the bed room, toilet, lounge and outdoor verandah. The lower level hosted the fully equipped kitchen (and if there is anything missing that Sue is more than happy to get it for you), small dining room and bathroom. Entry to the cottage is from either level. The cottage was serviced twice a week during our stay, although we did mention to Sue that we were more than happy to do it ourselves.

Caribbean Beeeze is about 800m from the northern end of Grand Anse Beach bordering a beautiful golf course, which you are allowed to walk around, across or through any time of the day. We found the position of Caribbean Breeze ideal. It was far away from the always busy streets and traffic yet close enough to take a 15 minute walk to get to the main drag and the beach. By car probably 3 minutes to the beach. In an elevated position, a 5 minute dawdle through the golf course offers wonderful views of the beach and ocean. We walked everywhere from the cottage even into St George's (12km return) being presented with wonderful Caribbean views each step of the way. Or alternatively, mini buses run continually all day at the bottom of the hill for a couple of dollars.

Being on the golf course, we found the quiet and serenity wonderful. The property felt very secure and at no time were we concerned about walking the nearby streets or through the golf course. Sue's two dogs were wonderful friendly animals whom we got along with tremendously well. We even walked them on the golf course and took them to the beach on occasions.

Caribbean Breeze also has a quite large clean, fully maintained and serviced pool. We did not use it at all as we love oceans more than pools and were quite happy to stroll to the beach early morning and throughout the day for a swim and a relax. At no time did we see the dogs in the pool area, either playing, sniffing or swimming.

Nice play to stay for either short or long term.
Date of stay: July 2013
Room Tip: If you need anything or wish to talk with the owner, Sue is extremely helpful, accommodating and...
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
Fully refundable
3.8 km from Caribbean Breeze
Bar/Lounge
View more hotels in St. George's
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 November 2013

***THIS IS MY HONEST REVIEW REGARDING THE 2 BEDROOM APARTMENT***

I stayed 1 month and i would like to say i have enjoyed every last bit of it!!

Firstly, one of the things i found profoundly impressive was the actual design of the apartment. It felt more like a home more then a apartment with the 2 rooms looking at each other, opening up to the large living room space. which was perfect when we wanted to invite a few friends over. Commenting on this point you can play music as loud as you wanted, obviously being respectable. But when you did want to 'crank it up' It wasn't a problem

Moving on, I would like to point out that the view when awaking in the morning, going onto your veranda was breath taking, especially with the sunrise. As this was Private land; you can hear your own thoughts! it was very secluded and it made my experience in the apartment very more homelike. When leaving the loud and hot town, you would like to cool off with ice water, the cool breeze the golf course creates, and the blissfulness of peace and quite. This was routine.

I would also like to point out the logistics of the household appliance. Everything I needed in my western city, it had here. we had a minor issue with the fridge and I let the landlord know, within a couple hours, one of my good friends now, Micheal. Came along and fixed the issue for me. letting me know what the problem was. This was always a satisfaction for me, knowing that if anything did go wrong or i had any query's about anything i needed or wanted. It wasn't a hassle.

Also another thing i would like to point out, if you cant acquire your own vehicle. you will find it very difficult coming back and fourth to the house. If you do have the satisfaction of walking a few times, you wont see it as a problem. Its more embracing then tiring, especially when raining.

The cleanliness of the apartment was always done promptly and impressively. One thing I did notice was, I had a lot of electrical goods floating around the apartment. I felt from meeting the lady that I could trust her straight away which is something I take very seriously.

The swimming pool was a diffidently the cherry on the cake. it came as such a use to me, as I did a lot of core exercises. Every week ill be in the pool when the pool cleaner would come. so i know for sure that the pool was cleaned.

The only thing i would have to say which is a positive and a negative about my experience in Caribbean breeze, which i did get over after a while. Was the Wifi. It Would Be hard to get on my phone when im at the rear at of the apartment. If you could have had a Wifi router for the one you have here, then it would of been perfect. They had the Wifi wire to connect to my laptop so it wasnt nothing major.

Lastly, my overall experience in Caribbean Breeze, was only Something you can dream off. The landlord and I got along very well. In vino veritas, would enable us to speak on topics i would never even think about. She is a very insightful women and loved the time we did spend together. and there will be many more to come. She made me feel at home from the time we entered the island, with our personal driver coming to pick us up (which he had to wait 3hours for us) from the airport. The infamous 'Rum punch' made my experience 100% better, my first drink on the island. She was so loving and from the time and experience we have had together. i no longer call her by her first name. she will stay and always be 'Aunty' to me.

I advise anyone who is coming to the island, would be one of the place I recommend.

Thanks
S

Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I have stayed at Caribbean Breeze a few times over the years, most recently in April of this year. The tropics take a toll on anything man-made, but I am happy to report the owner has done a major refresh of the units. This jewel has been restocked, replenished, refurbished and just overall refreshed. Nicely done! I can't wait to go back next year.

Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank 1w0rldwanderer
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Here is my honest review of Caribbean Breeze in Grand Anse, Grenada.

First off, let me mention that searching for quality and affordable accommodation in grenada wasn't easy. Me and my wife set out initially on a 2 week vacation and was quoted Extortionate prices so decided to 'dig a little deeper' online.

I initially came across Caribbean Breeze by mistake but was instantly surprised at the quality and cost of the accommodation. (Also small things like initially communicating with the owner who is a fellow english women born in the UK did put my mind at ease)

I stayed for 3 months in total.

I'll start off by mentioning a few minor negatives about my stay and the accommodation:

1 - The accommodation although somewhat easy to locate took a little while to find.

2 - The apartments and cottage is at the rear of the overall estate

3 - The gates in and out of the property did get a bit stiff once it got hotter, but usually wouldn't last for too long.

With those minor things out of the way i'd like to share my experience for the 3 months stay at this 'mini-paradise'

Hospitality

First off, we were greeted with such 'genuine' warmness and openness. We arrived late in the afternoon and was offered a 'complimentary' airport pick up from the airport strip to right outside the accommodation, which after travelling for so long did mean ALOT to us.

Next after being 'spoilt' with home made Rum Punch's we were given all the advice and local 'know-how's' we would need for our stay and instantly felt right at home with the our landlady.

Staying for any period in grenada it's always good to have local advise as it usually saves you time, money and helps in your general moving around the island on your day to day excursions, trips and outings. Every question we had got answered with useful tips, advice and recommendations. This put our mind at ease knowing that whatever we needed on our stay was literally at arms length.

We were also invited up on several occasions for drinks in the day / evening and even a dinner which we gratefully accepted. The host provided an unforgettable 3 course meal and a evening of entertainment and laughter. This type of reception made us warm up to the landlady and improve our overall stay. My Wife even mentioned that it felt like we were staying amongst family!

Accommodation

The accommodation was very attractive and did 100% resemble what we had pictured online via the website. We stayed in the cottage and with it's very cosy, clean and tranquil feel and look we instantly feel in love. The cottage has a warm and homely feel with a Kingsize Bed, Table & Dinning area (inside and outside) fully functional kitchen downstairs with a good size shower and wash room.

Small touches, like free cable tv & internet and an inclusive maid services (2 - 3 times a week) really made the entire trip 'worry free'.

All the windows had a mosquito net (apart from one at the top on the rear side of the property, but we never opened it)

Worry Free Stay

After a few weeks we did encounter a few minor issues with the cable not working or a missing utensil in the kitchen, but all issues were sorted out promptly and to our desire. Little things like asking for an adapter to fit my shaving kit just made our stay feel problem free. We felt a sense of 'nothing was too much to ask for' and if the landlady couldn't help us directly she'd refer or recommend someone who could.

Security

Security wasn't an issue either. The entire estate is set on a PRIVATE road, with only a handful of houses situated on it. Also the back of the house over looks the Golf course (hole 7 i think) and is a very tranquil and peaceful area. Not like many other popular spots, we didn't have the hustle and bustle of cars, people and general city life around us. It felt like a relaxation retreat were after a long day out in the sunshine exploring the treasures of grenada we could return and just put our feet up safe in the knowledge that both the area and the people in the few surrounding houses were secure.

On occasion you may get a golfer and his paddy putting onto hole 7, but this was few and fair in-between and to be very honest at no point did i ever feel I was being watched or even remotely glanced on as anyone playing golf is pretty much just trying to win. I guess what i'm trying to say is the location really does make this PRIVATE in all expressions of the word.

On top of the locational security the estate is guarded by VERY WELL TRAINED guard dogs. I've never really been a 'dog person' but this trip has fully changed my perception. The owner of the estate has done a fantastic job in training her dogs. I never once felt threatened or overwhelmed by them. The 2 apartments already have fully gated front areas and although not present when we were staying the land lady did mention that if we needed it she had no issue in commissioning a gated area on the cottage.

Truth is even if you did feel a little 'anxious' about dogs, in general, you would have very little worries with these ones. I felt a real sense of security safe in the knowledge that the estate was secure at all times.

Swimming Pool.

All three apartments come with a fully operational swimming pool that's cleaned once a week like clockwork. Truth is, that was one of the BIG strengths of staying at such a luxurious mansion as i could pop in and out of the swimming pool at ANY time in the day (or night). The depth is shallow on one side with operating steps and deeper on the other side. It really is the perfect place just to chill out and relax with in the comforts of your apartment.

Driving and Parking
We hired a car for the duration of our stay and had a choice of parking spaces outside the estate. We never had ANY issues with parking and also found that you have a big driveway to do a full 'U Turn' to spin the car around. Not anything to rant and rave about, but saves those annoying '3 point turns' in the middle of the road.

Overall Experience

For the price we paid and the stay we experienced we couldn't have asked for a better and more hospitable stay. We were offered local fruit and veg that grew on the estates gardens, given friendly and reliable tourism advice and really given an experience of a taste of the caribbean.

It can get frustrating sometimes staying in an accommodation away from home when you expect a certain level of style, class and cleanliness. I can hold my hands up and say with conviction that our stay at Caribbean Breeze was one of the best holiday experiences we've ever had.We've travelled through Europe, America and even the Middle east but this was by far our most memorable, eventful and worry free stay.

It would be a mistake on our part to even try to search for any other type of accommodation on the island when we return. It would be very hard to top the service and general friendless / security we felt on this private accommodation. I would recommend these apartments to everyone visiting the island and will certainly be booking my stay at Caribbean Breeze very very soon!

Room tip: The Cottage is the BEST choice of the 3 accommodations!!
Date of stay: July 2013
3  Thank momullatrp
Reviewed 5 May 2011

My husband and I rented the cottage, which would have been lovely had it been cleaned properly and the shower drain unclogged. The kitchen was filthy, grease and dirt covering everything. There were dead bugs everywhere.The pool has a black ring around it as the dogs use it. The dogs are large and a bit scary. The wardrobe had only a couple wire hangers and the linens on the bed and in the bathroom were pathetic. I think homeless shelters do better. Supposedly nothing is "too much trouble" but be prepared to wait until the owners are good and ready to accomodate what ever your request was. A visit into their living quarters revealed overflowing trash bins, cigarette butts everywhere and a general attitude that you should be pleased with what you have. While we were there another couple checked into one of the apartments and left after one night, so believe me others have been dissatisfied. We prepaid the whole thing and she had the gall to tell us that maid service would be an extra charge after we cleaned and degreased the whole place ourselves with supplies we purchased.

Date of stay: November 2010
2  Thank islandgirllil
Reviewed 21 February 2011

It is difficult to express just how disappointed we were with this supposedly “exquisite” accommodation (we booked the 1 bedroom apartment). In four decades of travelling the globe I don’t think we’ve ever found accommodation that fell so far short of our reasonable expectations – we’ve never been in a position where we had to up sticks and move elsewhere.

Given our dissatisfaction it would be easy to fall into the trap of giving a lot of overly subjective views, so I will try to guard against this and keep to the point and aim to be as objective as possible.

POSITIVES:-

Firstly the good points:

1. Nice quiet setting in pleasant gardens overlooking the golf course.

2. Fairly spacious accommodation.

3. Swimming pool (although we did not use it)

4. Two friendly dogs.

NEGATIVES:-

Now for the negatives. It is worth describing the overall layout of the apartment first. The house is on a slope with the ground level at the front of the house being higher than the ground level at the rear. When viewed from the front of the house the apartment is actually in the basement level (without any windows to the front of the house). The entrance to the apartment is down quite a number of steps at the back of the house. One enters into the sitting / dining area which receives adequate daylight. The kitchen area is one side of the hallway that leads to the bedroom, bathroom and utility room. The kitchen receives a certain amount of daylight spilling across from the sitting / dining area. The bathroom and utility room have no natural light. The bedroom has a row of narrow windows (I guess about 1 foot or so high) at ceiling level which equates to leg level on the outside (along the side of the swimming pool).

1. Bedroom
The bedroom was worst of all. The furniture consisted of two single beds pushed together to make a sort of king-sized bed, a bedside unit (with a bedside lamp), a small coffee table and a built-in wardrobe. Taking each of these in turn:-

- The bed had a mattress topper covered with sheets that were way too small. As a consequence the bedding moved around all over the place making things very uncomfortable indeed. The pillows were foam chip type and clearly old & lumpy – consequently these were also very uncomfortable. The sheets seemed to be poly/cotton (much more poly than cotton) and were so worn that they had “bobbles” all over them (again adding to the discomfort).

- The bedside unit had long since seen better days. One drawer was missing, one drawer had its handle broken away. The shade of the bedside lamp had several dents and stains.

- The small coffee table looked tired but was of little use anyhow.

- The wardrobe doors needed a good shove / yank to close / open them. Again this unit looked very tired and had clearly seen better days.

The small ceiling level bedroom windows half-opened and had mozzie screens. There was also a one speed (slow) ceiling fan. Overall the ventilation was very poor and we resorted to standing the floor fan from the sitting / dining area in the doorway to improve circulation (but this was quite noisy and so we resorted to ear-plugs - which didn’t help that much).

2. Sitting / Dining area.
Whilst being quite spacious the furniture was all quite old and tired. The sofa and armchairs had faded & stained cushions. The small bookcase had lumps missing out of it. The TV worked after a fashion, but the picture was so out of focus as to make it unusable. Lighting consisted of two small wall lights (one of which did not work) and a standard lamp.

3. Kitchen
One instantly got a feeling that things weren’t clean (e.g. greasy / sticky surfaces). As we started out with the intention of making a go of things (don’t ask me why, but that was before we’d had such a dreadful night’s sleep), we bought some cleaning materials and spent an hour or more cleaning utensils and surfaces. Of particular note was the cooker. Apart from the fact that the oven did not work, the whole of the top surface and the controls had a horrible greasy tacky feel to them. Lighting was provided by a grubby looking strip light.

4. Bathroom
Again the lighting was from a strip light. The bathroom was extremely spartan. Apart from the permanent fixtures (i.e. the basin, the shower unit and the toilet unit) the only additional items were a shower rail / curtain, a small towel rail, a soap dish (with a bar of soap) and a toothbrush holder (which was originally chrome but had become significantly pitted with rust). I’d liken the bathroom to the sort of facilities one might expect to find at a down market camp-site.

We also spoke with the occupiers of the cottage (in the grounds just outside the apartment). They had booked and paid in advance (for two weeks). They were clearly not happy with their accommodation, but having paid in advance they felt they were in quite a weak position.

Fortunately for us, we had not paid any monies in advance and left after the first night. We paid just for the one night. The owner wanted us to pay more but we stuck to our guns. With hindsight I feel that we shouldn’t have paid for the one night even, as, in our opinion, the accommodation has been seriously misrepresented on the owner’s website.

On telling the owner that we weren’t happy with the accommodation (we only described the issues with the bedroom as we did not wish to enter into protracted discussions – we just wanted out) and that we were leaving, she showed no interest in recognising our legitimate issues, but simply claimed that nobody else had complained. It is not possible to verify the veracity of her statement, but I would say that I find it stretches credibility.

Now, the owner may respond and say that if one had pointed out the problems things could have been addressed. That might have been fine if it was only one or two minor items. But given the extensive list of issues and general poor quality of the accommodation, this would have been completely unrealistic. This then begs the question as to how could the accommodation have been in such poor condition? Had it not been let out for a long time? Why hadn’t the owner taken the trouble to thoroughly inspect the unit beforehand? Or does the owner not realise what is required (or just doesn’t care)?

It is interesting to note (with hindsight) that the most recent of the guest comments on the owners website is from 2006. It is probably fair to say that this accommodation is way past its sell by date.

By way of trying to put the above comments in context, I would point out that we stayed in 3 other reasonably priced good quality accommodations on Grenada (all positively reviewed by me on TripAdvisor). It was only Caribbean Breeze that let the side down. We generally stay in small accommodations (B&Bs, studios, apartments etc.) all around the world and know what it is reasonable to expect. If anyone has any doubts, please see the other reviews that I’ve posted before.

Date of stay: February 2011