All reviews pirate bay straight couples gay friendly hotel lgbt friendly pool bar pool view steam room centrum supermarket piscadera bay hotel restaurant tropical garden highly recommend renting a car full kitchen bring bug spray small kitchen rented a car living room
Reviewed 3 October 2016

Imagine your favorite dive or small town gay bar. Now imagine that they painted everything (including the floors) white and sparsely fill the space with the worst Ikea has to offer. That's Floris Suite Hotel.

We had a great time at Floris -- but there was something ironic about getting the stink eye from someone wearing a shirt that says, "Let me spoil you." I guess clearing away broken glass from the pool from the night before was somebody else's job.

Let's lead with a few positives. Curacao is a surprisingly gay friendly destination. We arrived for Curacao Pride and Willemstad was dotted with rainbow lights and flags. Floris Suite Hotel hosted most of the pride celebrations and is a major sponsor. The rooms are large and affordable and the resort fee covered most of the incidentals.

There is a lot of potential here which is the spirit of this review. The owners need to put their money where their marketing is, or at least be a little more honest.

Our pool-side suite had a painted floor and nothing for traction. Our room was a constant slippery, muddy mess. My husband has a big bruise on his knee as a souvenir. Add carpets by the doors and provide more towels without making us ask each day please. Poolside was not much better. Nobody wants to walk and swim in iguana dung, broken glass, and cloudy water. Clean your pool!

The suite has a kitchenette, but don't expect to do much cooking unless you pack a suitcase full of supplies. Our suite had only 1 fork and minimal cutlery. The cabinets had two small pots and mismatched wine glasses. There was a dishwasher with no detergent, hot plates with no skillets, and a stove with no cooking tray. The fridge had a sign about not leaving out food on the counter because of the climate, but they only provided a small, thinly lined basket for trash.

So if you can't cook for yourself, you can order food in their restaurant ("Sjalotte") or at the bar. Prepare to wait an hour for your food as their one cook prepares a single ticket at a time. Enjoy burnt eggs, french toast made with sandwich bread, and over-salted fish. The options are limited. A common complaint among guests was how they were surviving on a diet of french fries and pasta.

Overall, if you are on a budget, I'd still recommend a stay at Floris for the same reason you might visit your local dive bar. Good people and pub grub in a good location without breaking the bank. Just don't let their marketing fool you. The irony of their staff's "Let me spoil you" shirts only served as a constant reminder that we had been misled.

(( On a more serious side note, if you are going to host an unsupervised pride event in your steam room for men only, at least show some community responsibility and provide free condoms and literature about PREP and safe sex. ))

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank selaesori
Marlous M, Public Relations Manager at Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2016

Hi Selaesori, Thank you for your review. We always read them carefully so we can improve our hotel and respond to you in a proper manner.

Our pool is actually cleaned every morning between 6am and 7am. We do have a lot of tropical vegetation around the pool and it is often windy. Therefore during the day leaves might fall into the pool, but also this is cleaned throughout the day.

As you experienced, our rooms are equipped for two persons but when you do miss some stuff you can always report this at our reception. They will gladly arrange new ones for you. So your missing fork was just a phone call, walk to the reception or even more convenient, a message on our Alice App away. We are sure that our food and beverage department brought you a fork within 30 minutes.

We are sorry to hear that the food in our restaurant took too long. We agree that you came in a busy period and the restaurant can take a little longer than normal. We have a very extensive menu with soup, salads, pasta’s, burgers, sandwiches, meat, chicken and fish dishes. Also 7 different types of appetizers, 6 side dishes and 4 different desserts are available on our menu. Therefor we cannot agree with your opinion that guests need to survive on pasta and French fries.

Our team gives a 100% each day and is focused on an optimal guest service. We are learning and improving on a daily basis and are happy you have shared your experiences with us, so we can discuss this along our staff to improve our quality and service more and more.

Reviewed 30 September 2016

My name is Geminifun (from USA) and this is my very first time to Curaçao ever. I made a hotel reservation months ago. Today I arrived for check-in and handed my credit card to the front desk attendant (Michael) and paid for my bill upfront in full. Michael then tells me that the hotel is full and there are no rooms available. Michael then shared with me that they have set me up in a hotel across the street at the Hilton. I did speak with a female manager who stated they have current guest who extended their stay due to the fact the weather would not allow them to fly out. I have several issues with how this situation played out:

1.) if I had no room why was my card swiped and charged for services not rendered
2.) if I had no room why didn't i receive notification which would have allowed me the opportunity to cancel the entire trip
3) if I had no room why did the Floris Suite staff make an independent decision to spend my money for hotel that I didn't choose
4.) if existing customers were scheduled to check out they should have been offered the Hilton not me
5.) I would like my money back immediately so to never return to such an awful place.

Sincerely, geminifun

Stayed: September 2016
9  Thank Geminifun
Frank H, General Manager at Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2016

Dear Giminifun,

We are very sorry you first trip to the Island had to go like this. Due to Hurricane Matthew we had some water damage just hours before you arrived. We were able to book a nice room for you at The Hilton hotel just across to street from us so that you could be close to the pride events. I personally called you several times in your room to invite you back to our hotel the next day to no avail.
In situations like this things can always be handled better. We are truly sorry it went this way.

Reviewed 30 September 2016

Came to this hotel with one of my best friends (girls trip). Approaching the hotel you can see an open, all white lobby making it look very modern and clean. At night it looks even better with blue/purple lighting. We arrived around 3:30 pm, and was checked in fast. Our luggages were carried to our room by Hensley aka "bon bon" (who ended up being my favorite person,such a sweetheart) the room was located a floor below the lobby. The room appeared spacious and clean but when I walked to view the balcony area I wasn't too happy with the location, it was on the first floor, corner room and it made me uncomfortable sitting out there while people walked by me, I preferred a little more privacy. We went to the front desk and voiced our concern and was taken cared of quickly with much understanding. The second room made me very happy, located on the second level, the room was spacious and had the privacy I was looking for. House keeping arrived every morning, tiding up the room so when you arrived back from a long day it was nice coming back to a clean room and fresh towels.The pool area has plenty of beach chairs and also a few cabanas. Happy hour at the bar everyday from 5pm-6pm, they make great Pina coladas! They have a shuttle going to the city twice daily which was convenient, a cab back was about $15. They also use golf carts to take you to local places around the hotel which is also a convenience, just have to ask the front desk for it. With your stay at Floris you have free access to the private beach across from them and also pirate bay beach, just show the card they give you at check in. Overall the employees at Floris are very welcoming, patient and helpful which definitely added to our experience. Im sure we learned the names of everyone during our stay which was nice to be familiar with them. If ever I visit Curacao again, Floris will be my pick again. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

Having stayed here once before and been subject to the ignorance and incompetence of management, I foolishly responded to their pleas that I return and "give them another chance to make things right."

I'm an idiot.

Arriving hours after check-in, no room was ready in the entire facility (if I am to believe the poor excuse for management, which I do not). Incredibly, the very person who screwed up the first visit and begged me to return stood in front of me with her hands in the air acting as though the repeated screw-up was beyond her control. When I demanded she recall the conversation last visit in which she swore to me that "this would never happen again," she sheepishly nodded her head, mumbling something about "capacity." I informed her that when a room is reserved and paid for months in advance, capacity is not my problem. The collective dismissal of "oh well" says everything one needs to know about this place - careless, lazy management that has no business in the hospitality sector. The lessons from this establishment:

1. Believe NOTHING that is written in its promotional crap.

2. Believe NOTHING that comes out of the mouths of "management."

3. Stay ANYWHERE ELSE on this island that is filled with quality, professional hotels managed by competent personnel.

4. When someone or some place shows you who and what they are, believe them.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
6  Thank David H

Dear David,

It is unfortunate that you reacted this way. Your room was ready shortly after you arrived. Even your friends where embarrassed by the way you rudely address our staff. It was very close to totally unacceptable. Our staff works hard every day to make sure all guests needs are taken care of. They did the same for you as always. The next morning I spoke to you in person and offered you several options to make things better. I asked you what I could do to make things better. You had no answer. This is the 2nd year on a row you did this to us. Obviously you love the upset so much that you keep coming back to us. For the sake of our staff members please do not next time.

Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

My boyfriend and I vacationed at Floris approximately two weeks ago. Firstly, Curacao is a gorgeous country. We had a blast. Our stay at Floris added to our amazing time. When we first arrived at the hotel, an airy white lobby area with white furniture greeted us.  I started feeling relaxed immediately. Then we were greeted by Zolaika at reception. She was extremely pleasant. Any time we saw her throughout our stay, she had a friendly smile and she would ask if everything was alright.

We stayed in a junior suite - garden view. It was spacious and clean and I slept soundly. The comforter was so comfy. Every morning, housekeeping would change our towels and give a quick clean up so when we reached back to the hotel after a full day of activities, we met a lovely tidy room. This really does add to that relaxation you seek on a vacation. What really really adds to relaxation however is......daily happy hour!!! Lol. Guests can enjoy free drinks(beer, wine or soft drinks) at the bar by the pool every day from 5 to 6pm.  Might I add the pool was always warm. Delightful!

All the members of staff had friendly dispositions but I must give a special mention to "Mr. Bon Bon" himself - Hensley. Such a warm gentleman, always with a big smile. He was quite helpful. He drove the golf cart to the different beaches and restaurants within close proximity to the hotel.

All in all a lovely stay. I highly recommend Floris if you're visiting Curacao. I have one tip though. While there are a couple activities/ restaurants around Piscadera Bay where the hotel is located and there is a daily free shuttle to Willemstad... if you truly want to see the gorgeous island, rent a car (even if it's not for your entire stay).

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Navigate468706

Thank you so much for your nice review. We are glad you enjoyed your downtime with us. Our staff always do their very best to be helpful with everything and it is so great to hear that you also experienced it that way! Thank you for staying and we hope to welcome you back sometime in the future at our daily happy hour! ;)