All reviews lions dive ocean encounters sea aquarium dive shop chill grill ocean front free shuttle fish great beach grocery store dive operator skewers two bedroom apartment on premises beach chairs rented a car within easy walking distance
Reviewed 17 March 2015

Wonderful beach and excellent sea life to explore - although lots around it, is a peaceful and quiet spot most of the times. Lots to do - there's Seaquarium right next to the resort which has excellent Dolphin and Sea Lion shows. The staff are very friendly, rooms quite large and spacious, always clean. We spent most of our time on the beach and snorkeling in and around the beach. The water was crystal clear most times and there were some excellent sea life to see. Highly recommend for avid snorkeling enthusiasts to visit. Also had a ton of diving tours right from the resort - although we are not divers we found that people were having a great time diving as well. It was also a great spot for dining - some excellent restaurants in walking distance, especially loved Mambo Beach restaurant which served fresh catch of the day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms near the dive shop are quitter.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2015

During our stay at Lions Dive and Beach we had a great time thanks to the super staff they have there (the 1 odd exception not taken into account). Everybody was very friendly, very helpfull and the location is great for scuba diving with a diving school on premise. The food was great, the facilities with a childrens swimming pool, including toys was magnificent.
There are 4 restaurants on the hotel ground, so you have plenty of good food to choose from.
Look for my personal travel report on my blog (in Dutch): http://scubatimo.scubatimo.be/#home

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2015

The hotell is some way outside Willemstad and in an area where not much happens, so you will have to resort to resort Life.
Food and drink isn't cheap on Curacao, so half board was a good idea. 4 restaurants of which 2 are on the beach Chill (bar and grill food) and Hemmingways (bigger menu).
The hotel beach is manmade but feels natural, lots of palmtrees and bushes give shelter from the trade winds and sun.
On the beach, in the beach restaurants and on the footpaths you will meet the local wildlife, iguanas, lizards and different birds. (beware of breakfast snatching doves).
A rocky Bulwark has been erected and creates a small lagoon shielded from the Waves and adds a possibility to snorkle by the beach.
Close by is the sea aquarium and a dive/snorkle centre. Twice Daily a bus goes to Town and there's also a shuttle to take you to a nearby supermarket.
Our seaview room on third floor was nice, clean and big, the balcony large and nice. The only but was that we had no Place to hang our swimgear and wet towels to dry.
The Free lowband WiFi worked well enough for facebook and e-mail but not for streaming. There is a possibility to upgrade to speedier WiFi at a not insignificant cost.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2015

I stayed with a friend at the Lion's Dive for the last 2 nights of our stay in Curacao. I found it to be a very relaxing, laid-back place to stay, and the location is very convenient to many other hotels, restaurants and shops. Best of all is the beautiful waterfront and beach area of the resort. We found plenty of places to enjoy both sun and shade, and were able to do some nice snorkeling right off the beach.

We ate twice at Hemingway's and the food was good; I especially enjoyed the fish sandwich. The cocktails are excellent as well. It was very convenient that the resort is close to other restaurants, which will give you lots of other off-resort dining options as well.

Our room had a fantastic view--walk directly out the french doors onto the beach. As other reviewers have mentioned, the rooms are very basic: all-purpose soap dispensers in the showers, for example. It did, nevertheless, suit our needs and we didn't have any issues. There was some renovation work going on during our stay, and some scaffolding in front of a room a couple of doors down, but this wasn't too much of a disturbance. They were moving it in front of ours the morning we were checking out, so I guess we left at a good time, or probably would have requested to change rooms. One slight complaint is that the beds and pillows are not very comfortable--I'm not usually picky about this, so I was a little surprised and didn't sleep that well. It was also a little odd that they have duvets on the beds in such a warm environment. I was ok with this, since I was cold after diving but my friend was really uncomfortable.

We had excellent service at the front desk, housekeeping, and at Hemingway's. Everyone we encountered who worked at the resort was very helpful. We had a very pleasant stay and I look forward very much to returning here.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank MissM0nica
Reviewed 4 March 2015

This place is not the cheapest on the island, but the location and facilities make it good value for the money. My girlfriend and I stayed in their most economical room (they call it 'Run of the house') and were pleasantly surprised in the quality of the accommodations. The room was spacious and well appointed, with good closet space and a small fridge. The bathroom was quite large and very clean. Maids did a great job cleaning daily. AC was very good and whisper quiet. One possibility for improvement - since the resort caters to divers, snorkelers and beach goers, it would be nice to have more hooks around the room to hang the wet stuff, or even the towels.

Facilities included several pools (including an olympic length lap pool), and a very nice beach area. The beach was fairly crowded (February stay). It had sufficient a number of lounge chairs which were very comfortable, but those under the palapas and palm trees for shade filled up very quickly in the morning. If you are a beach person looking for shade, it makes sense to grab one of those early on. Once you leave your beach towel there, it's yours for the day.
The breakfast on the beach was served daily and the spread was very nice, all you can eat buffet with all kinds of eggs, pancakes, meats, cold cuts, cheeses etc. Coffee was excellent.
The Aquarium in the walking distance was an added bonus. I highly recommend the dolphin show (absolutely spectacular) and the sea lion show.
I would give it a 5 star if it wasn't for the shamefully slow and constantly crashing internet. Hello... it's not "free" if it doesn't work. While comparing notes with people staying in different parts of the resort, I am venturing a guess that the internet was better closer to the lobby and getting progressively worse further away. Which is a shame because the nicest rooms, the ones facing the beach, are further away. We did not try the paid internet ($60 for a week).

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends