“Best meal of our two week holiday in the UK”
Review of The Anchor Inn

The Anchor Inn
Ranked #5 of 11 Restaurants in Tintern
Price range: US$7 - US$21
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: View details, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 7 September 2021

On our return from the south west (where we'd spent a small fortune eating fairly standard /average/overpriced meals) we made a detour to visit Tintern. We pulled into the carpark, paid the £3 which was very reasonable, had a good look around Tintern, then went to the Anchor Inn for food. It's always best I find, to opt for something off the specials menu, so we all went for a chicken and mushroom stroganoff, and we weren't disappointed. It was excellent, with well balanced flavours, evidently home-made. We left room for ice cream, and that was good too.

Despite the staff being rushed off their feet, they were all pleasant and polite and helpful. A great find and we'd definitely visit again when in the area. It was a beautiful sunny day so there were crowds of people being served.

By the way, the £3 car park fee was refundable at either the Anchor Inn or any purchase at the Abbey. We thought this was very fair.

Date of visit: September 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,189)

Reviewed 7 September 2021

Just came back from a birthday meal and I must say it was probably one of the worst meals ever, out of so many dishes and what we did have was awful.
Don’t ask for the steak pie as you will struggle to find the steak and probably break your teeth on the pastry or the solid carrots. The others in the party also left most of the food for other reasons. Not sure if different cook or what but this place is definitely a no no for food. We only live in Monmouth but unfortunately we won’t be going back.

1  Thank Alan D
Reviewed 5 September 2021

Roast came out cold and my vegetables came out 20 minutes later so I was sat just eating potato’s and beef for 30 mins. My sister got given a kids meal and my nephews food was microwaved. Not happy. My brother got chicken and it was dry and he got a minimum of 10 chips. Better off getting a kabab or chip shop.

1  Thank U2945GMgraceb
Reviewed 5 September 2021

We have eaten and drank here many times, however today was not a good visit. We waited 23 minutes for our drinks to be served, one person taking food orders and the eye roll when my husband asked to order food.. I do appreciate they are busy, 23 minutes for a drink is not acceptable. We left and went somewhere else and was served immediately where the service was more efficient and set up a lot better.

1  Thank Cooksie25
Reviewed 27 August 2021

Food was lovely but service was slow to non existent. My husband had to go get someone to clear our table after main course, we had waited 15 mins with no one in sight
They eventually cleared and gave us dessert menu then vanished. We picked puds and waited and waited and waited. No one came to take our pud order or second drinks ordered. We gave up after another 15mins of waiting and paid for what we did have and left as we had booked to the abbey and had given up waiting.
We were really disappointed and they missed out on £30+ of extra orders from us. Will not be returning or recommending.

Date of visit: August 2021