“Great Views!”

US$240.55*
and up
Grand Canyon Day Hike Tour from Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the two superhighways into the Canyon, the other being the Bright Angel Trail, this path runs along a ridge offering stunning views. During the summer, visitors are advised to bring at least two quarts of water along because it can get very hot and the trail offers no shade.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Used this on our descent to the river over a three-night backpack. Yes, it's a bit well used, but not like the freeway we call the Bright Angel Trail.

Access to the trail is limited; you'll need to take a GC bus or hitch a ride. I did see cars parked nearby, but I think that's frowned upon.

The views are great. No question. Most of it is steep, but there are a few flat-ish areas that are nice photo opportunities.

Finally, there's no water and little for amenities. I think I counted 2 pit toilets en route. But that's part of why it's less crowded, I think.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,436)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"turn around"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I just wanted to add my review for anyone wondering if this is possible with a small child. We went on a cloudy day as far as Ooh Aah Point and we were fine. We held our little boy's hand tight the whole way down, kept him on the inside and took turns for one of us to watch him while the other looked out at views when we stopped. In terms of being physically able he was fine (with rest stops, snacks and water, just like the adults!). It took us just under 2hrs round trip including stops

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We are not in great shape. But, we could do this! It's a steep trail and due to the altitude, returning is more strenuous than heading out to the point. Vertical gain is about 800-feet. Best not to hike (up) during the middle of the day and below the Rim, there is a lot of exposure and NOT a lot of cover. Bring lots of water, just in case.

3  Thank SSRJN
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We have hiked South Kaibab to Phantom Ranch twice. Each time we have gone down South Kaibab and up Bright Angel. It is spectacular. The trail is rugged and can be steep but the views are amazing. Once you get down the trail a ways, you get a whole different perspective of the canyon. If you have a chance -- hike South Kaibab even if you only go to Ooh Aah Point.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The views going down S. Kaibab are phenomenal. We knew there was no water on the trail, and very little shade. The lack of water we were prepared for, but what we didn't expect was the heat. The high for the day at Phantom Ranch was expected to be 89, so we thought it wouldn't get above the low 90s on the trail. Wrong!!! For the last mile the temperature varied between 100 and 120 degrees. Yes, really. My little thermometer that I keep with my pack is accurate, and it hit 120 and stayed there for almost 30 minutes. It was awful. We didn't get dehydrated, but we did get overheated.

1  Thank intoxyk8