“Small but good ”
Review of Shitamachi Museum

Shitamachi Museum
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Ueno
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

Does not take long to go through this museum, even with reading allthe information on display. I did not time my visit for a guided tour but the brochure you are handed is a good guide. 300yen for entry, good value and great displays of Shitamachi life in the old days. The first floor captures the Shitamachi area of Tokyo during 1912-1926. The second floor is a collection of many displays relating to the Shitamachi area and reproduces the lifestyle of common people in the mid 1950-1960's. There are some traditional Japanese toys on display which you are welcome to play with.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"volunteers"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 2 June 2018

I found this museum while doing research of activites in Ueno Park and it was the one I was most looking forward to while planning my trip. I was not disappointed!

Entry was a reasonable 300yen (<$3) and my companions and I were immediately approached by an English-speaking volunteer who offered to give us a guided tour. Yes please! If given the option, I highly recommend taking up their tour offer. Our volunteer was absolutely wonderful and breathed such life into an already fascinating-to-explore little museum. She provided background, additional stories, and context we wouldn't have known otherwise. She was able to answer our questions and made for some great conversation about what we were seeing. There were a few pamphlets throughout that gave information, but she really made the visit special!

The tour guide took us through the entire first floor, which is set up as a "street" with three different homes/shops. You're able to go through each home (make sure to take your shoes off!) and explore them, including opening drawers and handling items, which was amazing. The hands-on aspect of the museum was really spectacular and not something I'm used to being able to do. The guide left us to go see the upstairs on our own, which has a couple other rooms to explore, exhibits about the area and its traditions, and some toys you can play with. Very very hands-on and very interesting!

This was by far my favorite historical place we visited in Tokyo and I would recommend it to anyone. The museum was small and manageable, but absolutely rich in culture and information. There's also a book about the exhibits and items that can be purchased for 700yen (<$6.50 in May 2018) - it's really really nice and covers everything extremely well. Definitely a worthwhile purchase to commemorate your visit!

2  Thank Pogaf
Reviewed 23 May 2018

A small museum with a couple of room-reproductions of historic Japanese life. Based on the exhibits alone, this tiny museum probably won't be all that amazing but what really makes this place interesting is the free guided tour given by volunteers. This guided tour breathes life into the exhibits and brings more understanding to some of the things you may see on your travels around Japan. Included in the museum tour, they showed us how the fortunes / "O-mikuji" system works in the temples or shrines, and we got our own fortunes read which was fun!

If you're lucky you'll get a knowledgable volunteer guide who can answer most questions you may have about Japanese culture, traditions, religion and history - which was great! Be sure to *ask* for the guided tour when you buy tickets because I don't think they always offer it unless you specifically ask for it.

Look out for the little rack of traditional robes that you can put on for photos :)

2  Thank L1OR85
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

This is a tiny museum on two floors on the edge on Ueno Park, it isn’t that well sign posted so I took a while walking round before I found it. If you find the pond first then it’s easier to get the the museum. The museum is dedicated to downtown. The first floor has a recreation of an old edo era street with a sweet shop, house and another shop which I think was a carpenters?
You can wear a kimono style jacket and have your photos taken. Then upstairs is more of an exhibition with many photos of days gone by and how the first teams were built.

It’s a really nice museum, and well worth a visit if you are in Ueno area. Don’t forget to get your stamp on the way out! The man on the desk also gave me some origami as a left as well.