“Wish we could give it 6 stars”

Kobe Beef Kaiseki 511
Ranked #1 of 453 Restaurants in Akasaka
Price range: US$47 - US$196
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Akasaka, Roppongi
Description: Winter Vacation : 12/29(Mon)~1/4(Sun) Sunday and National holiday are closed.
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Beef melts in your mouth! Every course was exceptional. If you want the full Japanese experience, go with the Complete Course. If you just want a nice Kobe steak, skip the pre-set menu and go with the a la carte menu

Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

You pay for the best and I guess this time it was worth every cent. The service was top notch and the staff were courteous and accommodating. The kobe beef melts in your mouth and was definitely an experience. Even the desert was rich and appetizing!

1  Thank JeremyL2720
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

Let’s get the price of the dinner addressed right off the bat! I paid $440 USD for my son and I to have dinner at 511 on July 5th. And I will say it was worth every penny! We arrived around 6:30pm (about an hour earlier than our reservation), and were promptly accommodated and seated within 5 minutes. Our server was very attentive and was helpful in explaining the various cuts and marbling techniques unique to Kobe beef. My son and I ordered the 5 course western-style menu, which included a 150 gram (5.3 oz) Kobe beef steak. The other courses includes greens over seared scallops, a breaded and fried chicken and cheese meatball in red sauce, chicken soup consommé, the steak itself with potato au gratin and white rice, and a creme brûlée with shortbread cookie. All of it was so beautifully prepared and presented. Our server did not even ask how we liked our steak cooked (e.g. med rare, rare, etc.). It just came out perfectly. It was soooo tender, juicy and flavorful! Nothing like the steaks I’ve had in the US, including American wagyu.
Beyond just the heavenly food was the impeccable service and genuine appreciation of the customer! Here is what I noticed: (1) Two servers were present when our meal courses arrived. This is so both my son and I were presented with the food at the same time. (2) There is no rush to turn the table and get you out the door. My son and I took our time to savor and enjoy our meal. (3) The servers prefaced each course that they brought us by saying “thank you for waiting.” (4) We asked a random server to take a picture of my son and I in front of the restaurant which she kindly obliged. When we were walking away to leave, she bowed to us at a 45 degree angle and held her bow until we were out of sight! That gesture alone indicated to me that they instilled the mantra that “the customer is king” among their staff. We truly felt appreciated!

Don’t go to 511 if you just want to try a Kobe beef steak. Go there to have a memorable dinner experience!

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Booked this place based on a friend’s recommendation. Overall, I found it overpriced for what we got.

Service is good, but it’s not exceptional. I was offered a complimentary glass of champagne as our hotel made the booking and that came quickly, but my nephew’s drink and the water took ages to arrive.

The courses felt a bit rushed as well. Amazingly, when I asked the waiter to explain the concept ofkaiseki for my nephew’s benefit (it was the 16-year-old’s first such culinary experience), he was stumped. I can’t be the first to ask that question, surely?

While the sirloin main course was good, it did not rock my world. And the other stuff? Ok only; I did not even finish the stewed summer vegetables.

Overall, I would say if you have never had akaiseki meal before, this will come across as swanky and impressive. But I’ve had far betterkaiseki meals in Japan especially in Kyoto ryokan for the price, and I have definitely had far better beef for a lot, lot less money.

It was a fun night, but I did not walk away thinking the meal blew me away. I would in future stick to a non-beef kaiseki meal, and stick to a grilled blowout when I need my bovine fix.

1  Thank Chicklet39
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Once you get over the prices this place is true Japanese beef at its finest. We also had a scallop starter that had a nice European twist. We had 200gs of Kobe and every mouthful was pretty special.